Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many street 996 GT3 RS's were produced?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 499 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
i don't think the 6rs will be any good on the road. the 6.1 is definitely a much more compliant set-up for the street. it's at the track where the 6rs will shine. hard to have it both ways in a 6.
7 is a different story.
Perfectly summarised aussie jimmy. I've no doubt that with a set of track biased tyres and the relevant geo set up the '6RS would be epic in track. On the road it's too much of a compromise. The 6.1 is far better suited to road use.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:59 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
congrats!!!!
there have been a few for sale in nz recently, but they looked a bit worse for wear...
that is my dream car. what is it really like? any drone in the cabin?
does it make you feel content? i think i would be with one of those.
Two of the four NZ new 996 RS's were raced in the Porsche racing series. Its both of these cars that have been for sale over the last year.

Some NZers might be able to help me with this question. Please correct me if Im wrong but of the four 996 RS's, 3 have red stripes/wheels, and 1 has blue?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:32 PM
ab5150
Track Day

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Two of the four NZ new 996 RS's were raced in the Porsche racing series. Its both of these cars that have been for sale over the last year.

Some NZers might be able to help me with this question. Please correct me if Im wrong but of the four 996 RS's, 3 have red stripes/wheels, and 1 has blue?
Correct , although 4 now white/red combo including mine.
One white/blue combo car , CCS sold it bout 2 years ago .
The third 'NZ new' car was actually a tourist delivery car ....... guy went to Germany to see the car being made & when he turned up at the factory it was sitting in the car park ready for delivery - bummer !
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by ab5150
Correct , although 4 now white/red combo including mine.
One white/blue combo car , CCS sold it bout 2 years ago .
The third 'NZ new' car was actually a tourist delivery car ....... guy went to Germany to see the car being made & when he turned up at the factory it was sitting in the car park ready for delivery - bummer !
Gutted! Hehe.

You pic looks great BTW.
Are you heading to the Porsche meet in Taupo in Feb with the RS?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 PM
ab5150
Track Day

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Gutted! Hehe.

You pic looks great BTW.
Are you heading to the Porsche meet in Taupo in Feb with the RS?
Not sure about Taupo if I do I'll only go to the show on Saturday & have gander at what has come out of the woodwork.
Yourself ?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:30 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Not sure about Taupo if I do I'll only go to the show on Saturday & have gander at what has come out of the woodwork.
Yourself ?
Always planned to go up and have a look on Saturday. Now my Brothers Stage do is going to be in Taupo on the Friday beforehand and the Saturday, so yip, Ill be around.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:14 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Atgani
I think I'm the lone dissenting voice on this one.

I mortally wounded my immaculate and totally standard (road use only) Mk 1 996 GT3 in a big road accident in October of last year. Having failed to find a replacement for it. I instead bought a perfect 16K miles 996 GT3 RS back in early November, thinking it would fill the gap between the raw and visceral Mk 1 and the "standard" Mk 2 version.

Once purchased and used in anger, the initial impressions were not good. A dull soundtrack, poor road manners and an engine that lacked low down torque were my primary concerns. The suspect handling was traced to incorrect camber and toes both front and rear. In addition the rear ride height was found to be too low.
Once the above were reset, the car was improved and I continued driving it in an effort to bond with it, to that end I did a total of 800 miles in 200 + mile hits.

At no point did I feel any real degree of confidence in the rear of the car. The front end was always crisp from a turn in perspective (if I'm honest I found the front a bit too "darty")
But I never really felt I could lean on or trust the rear end of the car. It ran on nearly new (though scrubbed) Michelin PS 2s. Initially I felt that after my accident my confidence had been diminished (and I guess it had to a degree) and this was the root of my inability to feel comfortable with the car. What I had thought would be my perfect 996 GT3 had however rapidly turned into a car I never felt I could/would bond with.

As is often the case in these situations, fate intervened and a contact made me aware of a Mk 1 GT3 that was for sale. The car was modified with a Manthey K400 engine upgrade kit, Manthey KWs, Manthey billet short shift, a ClubSport roll cage and MK2 six pot front calipers with Alcon floating rotors.
I went to view the car (taking my RS to allow an accurate back to back comparison down a well known stretch of road)

On viewing the car I noted it was running on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (anyone familiar with typical December UK weather will appreciate that our roads are cold, damp/wet and slippery, moreover they're frequently covered with a fine mulch of leaf debris that is not condusive to high grip levels)
I therefore set off definitely lacking in confidence and a degree of trepidation. Sure enough I initially found the MPS Cups struggling to provide any worthwhile grip.

Searching out what dry patches of Tarmac I could find and leaning on the car as much as I dared through the corners, soon reaped benefits however.
Very rapidly I found my confidence and the grip levels increasing. Feeling more relaxed, I pushed harder and found the grip and balance that had been so lacking in the RS. In short I'd got my mojo back !

In the space of 20 minutes my confidence was pretty much restored and I came to appreciate the Mk1s more benign behaviour, it's balance, the brakes (superior to the RS items no doubt due to to the fitment of the Alcons and RS 29s) the engine noise (the Manthey exhaust and Cup air filter make for a less refined though totally engaging soundtrack) The engine feels the equal of (if not superior to) the unit in the RS.
My only real criticism of the car would be the Manthey KWs, which even with the damper settings subsequently wound right off, proved to be slightly too stiff for the UKs poorly maintained roads. A reduction in the spring rates would make a big improvement I'm sure.

Suffice to say a deal on the Mk 1 was rapidly concluded and I'm now the proud owner of fantastic MK1 GT3 once again.

Meanwhile the unloved GT3 Rs has been returned to it's supplying dealer and sits in their showroom on SOR . . . .

I understand..
No other GT3 feels like a stock mk1. Period.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:17 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Great pic's , fantastic with the beautiful backdrops you have in S.A , still enjoying the car I hope ?
Absolutely.Loving.It - such a wicked mixture of spartan, pure, raw and refined
Old 05-22-2014, 07:28 PM
paulmotor
Rennlist Member

I can help here:

2010 GT3 RS All Division: 240
2011 GT3 RS All Division: 372 2010 GT3 RS 4.0 All Division: 158
Old 05-24-2014, 07:22 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Seems like 682 is the total production nr for the 996rs. So about 80 cars more than the 997rs.4.0! I'm a very lucky owner to both of these cars! The big difference is that in 2004 most people that bought these cars took them straight to the Ring and drove them as fast you could. A lot of things have changed in the last 10 years! I would say at least 50% of the 4.0 is sitting in a air conditioned garage. The few low miles 996rs that are left in the world are going to be worth a LOT of money!
Old 05-26-2014, 09:33 AM
London911
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Seems like 682 is the total production nr for the 996rs. So about 80 cars more than the 997rs.4.0! I'm a very lucky owner to both of these cars! The big difference is that in 2004 most people that bought these cars took them straight to the Ring and drove them as fast you could. A lot of things have changed in the last 10 years! I would say at least 50% of the 4.0 is sitting in a air conditioned garage. The few low miles 996rs that are left in the world are going to be worth a LOT of money!
Wow. You're a lucky (and smart) guy! Still trying to find a low milage 996 GT3RS in the UK...
Old 06-01-2014, 07:09 AM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alcons (huge mileage and better braking) and RS19 pads, normally PS2 tyres although Pirelli Corsa R were best on track with good wet performance - shame they stopped making them.
Michelin Cups are lethal in the wet.
KW3 suspension fitted and geometry set to a good compromise between road and track - no front end camber tracking/darting.

Driven all over Europe for track day holidays. Europes roads much better than the UK!

Mirrors and rear wing vinyl wrapped to stop stone/grit damage to the carbon fibre laquer.

Silver GT3 wheels to save fragile red ones for best.

Untitled by Stevorocket, on Flickr

Untitled by Stevorocket, on Flickr

Last edited by StevoUK; 06-01-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:26 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Wow! That is one hot 6rs you got! Love the wrap on mirrors and wing! I'm looking for a backup set of wheels! Might just copy what you've done to yours!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:38 AM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks!

I took a lot of negative comments from bearded guys who said "you cant alter it" when I did the wrapping in 2007.

Then the 997 GT3RS came out with colour coded mirrors and winglets!

Quick Reply: How many street 996 GT3 RS's were produced?