Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many street 996 GT3 RS's were produced?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 03:21 PM
ab5150
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Congrats!
I tried to get a mate of mine to purchase one last week, but he decided to purchase a black 997 GT3 CS. Id rather have the 996 RS . . .
Look forward to seeing pics of your car.
Thank you ! I too looked at many & I actually had a Viper green 997 gen1 RS on the radar but got beaten to the chase on that particular car & then had a re-think & kept coming back to the little 996 RS. They have the norrow body & of course are rather bespoke compared to the later model RS. Looked at so many overseas & then found this absolute gem so acted straight away as the new importation law comes into effect as of Jan' 1 2012 so you can't bring these in any longer.
I was looking to sell it as I've had an opportunity to purchase something else rather special but I think I might just hang on to this instead. Could think of worse cars to be stuck with ! ha
Old 01-02-2012, 05:27 AM
ab5150
Track Day

here's one I took the other day , weather still average
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2012, 08:54 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

congrats!!!!
there have been a few for sale in nz recently, but they looked a bit worse for wear...
that is my dream car. what is it really like? any drone in the cabin?
does it make you feel content? i think i would be with one of those.

Last edited by aussie jimmy; 01-02-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:36 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Great shot mate - thanks! Have a look at my album re moonrise for a few others that will look strangely familiar I have black roll cage and red seat cushions though else stock.

Last edited by HiWind; 01-02-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: little extra
Old 01-02-2012, 05:49 PM
ab5150
Track Day

Great pic's , fantastic with the beautiful backdrops you have in S.A , still enjoying the car I hope ?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:15 PM
ab5150
Track Day

Hey Jimmy,
Any cabin drone? nope. It's actually very civilised on the road , the locked diff makes a few noises but apart from that it's pretty good. My old 964 Turbo made more of a din than this car :-)
There's been a couple come up for sale here recently , there's one on trademe.co.nz now.
You buy these cars on condition/history & what the engine computer reveals on the diagnostic readouts...not mileage....I've seen cars here in NZ with less than 10,000km's with major accident history . any come up for sale in Aus? I saw that the Classic throttle Shop in Sydney recently sold one ......
Old 01-02-2012, 06:17 PM
ab5150
Track Day

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
congrats!!!!
there have been a few for sale in nz recently, but they looked a bit worse for wear...
that is my dream car. what is it really like? any drone in the cabin?
does it make you feel content? i think i would be with one of those.
Sorry Jimmy , bit green on the whole forum thing ...... see my reply at end of thread .......

:-)
Old 01-02-2012, 06:53 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

all good - yes, had a look at the one at the throttle shop. this was the 2nd time it was on the market by the same owner. was a rough example.
the one before that was in sth aus which was sold on the first day at around 170k, and then re-listed by vic dealer, rsr garage with a 40k premium......they kept dropping the price and sold a couple of months later at around 190k.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:52 PM
ab5150
Track Day

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
all good - yes, had a look at the one at the throttle shop. this was the 2nd time it was on the market by the same owner. was a rough example.
the one before that was in sth aus which was sold on the first day at around 170k, and then re-listed by vic dealer, rsr garage with a 40k premium......they kept dropping the price and sold a couple of months later at around 190k.
Wow that's big tin for a rough car then at $179K........ & $190K for a decent one?
Gee we get pretty good value for money over here considering the exchange rate etc......
I'm absolutely thrilled with my car , it's really had a chairmed life & never seen a trackday or abused. It's mint !
Old 01-02-2012, 08:05 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

lucky man! congrats.
fantastic machine.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 447 Likes on 209 Posts

I think I'm the lone dissenting voice on this one.

I mortally wounded my immaculate and totally standard (road use only) Mk 1 996 GT3 in a big road accident in October of last year. Having failed to find a replacement for it. I instead bought a perfect 16K miles 996 GT3 RS back in early November, thinking it would fill the gap between the raw and visceral Mk 1 and the "standard" Mk 2 version.

Once purchased and used in anger, the initial impressions were not good. A dull soundtrack, poor road manners and an engine that lacked low down torque were my primary concerns. The suspect handling was traced to incorrect camber and toes both front and rear. In addition the rear ride height was found to be too low.
Once the above were reset, the car was improved and I continued driving it in an effort to bond with it, to that end I did a total of 800 miles in 200 + mile hits.

At no point did I feel any real degree of confidence in the rear of the car. The front end was always crisp from a turn in perspective (if I'm honest I found the front a bit too "darty")
But I never really felt I could lean on or trust the rear end of the car. It ran on nearly new (though scrubbed) Michelin PS 2s. Initially I felt that after my accident my confidence had been diminished (and I guess it had to a degree) and this was the root of my inability to feel comfortable with the car. What I had thought would be my perfect 996 GT3 had however rapidly turned into a car I never felt I could/would bond with.

As is often the case in these situations, fate intervened and a contact made me aware of a Mk 1 GT3 that was for sale. The car was modified with a Manthey K400 engine upgrade kit, Manthey KWs, Manthey billet short shift, a ClubSport roll cage and MK2 six pot front calipers with Alcon floating rotors.
I went to view the car (taking my RS to allow an accurate back to back comparison down a well known stretch of road)

On viewing the car I noted it was running on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (anyone familiar with typical December UK weather will appreciate that our roads are cold, damp/wet and slippery, moreover they're frequently covered with a fine mulch of leaf debris that is not condusive to high grip levels)
I therefore set off definitely lacking in confidence and a degree of trepidation. Sure enough I initially found the MPS Cups struggling to provide any worthwhile grip.

Searching out what dry patches of Tarmac I could find and leaning on the car as much as I dared through the corners, soon reaped benefits however.
Very rapidly I found my confidence and the grip levels increasing. Feeling more relaxed, I pushed harder and found the grip and balance that had been so lacking in the RS. In short I'd got my mojo back !

In the space of 20 minutes my confidence was pretty much restored and I came to appreciate the Mk1s more benign behaviour, it's balance, the brakes (superior to the RS items no doubt due to to the fitment of the Alcons and RS 29s) the engine noise (the Manthey exhaust and Cup air filter make for a less refined though totally engaging soundtrack) The engine feels the equal of (if not superior to) the unit in the RS.
My only real criticism of the car would be the Manthey KWs, which even with the damper settings subsequently wound right off, proved to be slightly too stiff for the UKs poorly maintained roads. A reduction in the spring rates would make a big improvement I'm sure.

Suffice to say a deal on the Mk 1 was rapidly concluded and I'm now the proud owner of fantastic MK1 GT3 once again.

Meanwhile the unloved GT3 Rs has been returned to it's supplying dealer and sits in their showroom on SOR . . . .

Old 01-02-2012, 08:46 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There were zero produces for the U.S. We have too many lawyers which prevent many cool cars from ever making it to us.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 PM
993GT2
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for the records, here in Brazil there is only one 996RS in blue.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:25 PM
ab5150
Track Day

Originally Posted by Atgani
I think I'm the lone dissenting voice on this one.

I mortally wounded my immaculate and totally standard (road use only) Mk 1 996 GT3 in a big road accident in October of last year. Having failed to find a replacement for it. I instead bought a perfect 16K miles 996 GT3 RS back in early November, thinking it would fill the gap between the raw and visceral Mk 1 and the "standard" Mk 2 version.

Once purchased and used in anger, the initial impressions were not good. A dull soundtrack, poor road manners and an engine that lacked low down torque were my primary concerns. The suspect handling was traced to incorrect camber and toes both front and rear. In addition the rear ride height was found to be too low.
Once the above were reset, the car was improved and I continued driving it in an effort to bond with it, to that end I did a total of 800 miles in 200 + mile hits.

At no point did I feel any real degree of confidence in the rear of the car. The front end was always crisp from a turn in perspective (if I'm honest I found the front a bit too "darty")
But I never really felt I could lean on or trust the rear end of the car. It ran on nearly new (though scrubbed) Michelin PS 2s. Initially I felt that after my accident my confidence had been diminished (and I guess it had to a degree) and this was the root of my inability to feel comfortable with the car. What I had thought would be my perfect 996 GT3 had however rapidly turned into a car I never felt I could/would bond with.

As is often the case in these situations, fate intervened and a contact made me aware of a Mk 1 GT3 that was for sale. The car was modified with a Manthey K400 engine upgrade kit, Manthey KWs, Manthey billet short shift, a ClubSport roll cage and MK2 six pot front calipers with Alcon floating rotors.
I went to view the car (taking my RS to allow an accurate back to back comparison down a well known stretch of road)

On viewing the car I noted it was running on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (anyone familiar with typical December UK weather will appreciate that our roads are cold, damp/wet and slippery, moreover they're frequently covered with a fine mulch of leaf debris that is not condusive to high grip levels)
I therefore set off definitely lacking in confidence and a degree of trepidation. Sure enough I initially found the MPS Cups struggling to provide any worthwhile grip.

Searching out what dry patches of Tarmac I could find and leaning on the car as much as I dared through the corners, soon reaped benefits however.
Very rapidly I found my confidence and the grip levels increasing. Feeling more relaxed, I pushed harder and found the grip and balance that had been so lacking in the RS. In short I'd got my mojo back !

In the space of 20 minutes my confidence was pretty much restored and I came to appreciate the Mk1s more benign behaviour, it's balance, the brakes (superior to the RS items no doubt due to to the fitment of the Alcons and RS 29s) the engine noise (the Manthey exhaust and Cup air filter make for a less refined though totally engaging soundtrack) The engine feels the equal of (if not superior to) the unit in the RS.
My only real criticism of the car would be the Manthey KWs, which even with the damper settings subsequently wound right off, proved to be slightly too stiff for the UKs poorly maintained roads. A reduction in the spring rates would make a big improvement I'm sure.

Suffice to say a deal on the Mk 1 was rapidly concluded and I'm now the proud owner of fantastic MK1 GT3 once again.

Meanwhile the unloved GT3 Rs has been returned to it's supplying dealer and sits in their showroom on SOR . . . .

I wondered why that RS turned back up at Virgin so quickly........
Old 01-02-2012, 09:41 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i don't think the 6rs will be any good on the road. the 6.1 is definitely a much more compliant set-up for the street. it's at the track where the 6rs will shine. hard to have it both ways in a 6.
7 is a different story.

Quick Reply: How many street 996 GT3 RS's were produced?