Sponsored by:

5-40 Mobil

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5-40 Mobil

My GT3 like most is noisy on cold starts. I just changed the 0-40 and the tech suggested 5-40 is better for the GT3. No more rattling upon start-up. I can't see any harm in this change . Opinions.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:42 PM
jpeytonii
Rennlist Member

5W-40 is approved by Porsche above -13F. Just read the manual.
Where have you found Mobil 1 in 5W-40 weight?

Jim
Old 02-16-2006, 08:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub..._SUV_5W-40.asp
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...ac_1_5W-40.asp

http://store.avlube.com/mo15wsuvoil.html

This oil is fairly well known amongst diesel truck owners; we normally switch to it when it gets too cold for 15W-40 (Shell Rotella).
I would feel awful funny putting it into a Porsche.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:46 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

It seems very thin in San Diego weather.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Brendan,
Factory fill is 0-40. On my older P cars I ran 20-40 and 20-50. The 5 wt viscosity should actually give more "cushion" when cold than the 0-40. I know my GT3 seems to like the new oil....much quieter upon start-up.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:25 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

I know Larry. The 0 grades are factory. Its still very scary, and I will continue on my newly rebuilt 928 engines to run 15-50 or 20-50 amsoil. Call me ignorant, but I just think that with the temps we see here in SoCal that it should even be thicker then 5-40. I assume you mean the Delvac from walmart?
Old 02-17-2006, 04:44 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Yes, PAG is wrong, we are right.
They gave us the wrong oil and I can now correct them with my extensive engine dyno reliability data.
My point is that it is very very dangerous to do this because:
1. risking your motor to intuition and belief;
2. your warranty will be at risk if you are wrong.

Second, cold start ups are the reason why we get 0WXX oil. At warmed up levels, I am sure PAG gave me warranty on my engine based on the oil specs they required - I would not even chance it unless you like buying your own motors.

I would only change if I recived a bulleting from PAG to me personannal for my VIN that stated this is the new oil for my car and that my warranty would be honoured.

I had an 2000M5 and MBW changed the oil specs to reduce blow by.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:30 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Well Good luck to you on all the PAG Reliability stuff. Good for you for having a Porsche under warranty. Doesn't seem to be worth the paper its on, as seen HERE . Stephan at Imagine auto proposed quite a bit of issues regarding the Thrust Bearing issues on your Flat Six engines in another thread that I cannot find.

0 Grade oil may be great in Certain Places, such as detroit, Siberia, Canada, The Cold Plains of Green Bay in January, but in other climates, there are certain assumptions that it will not get below 50.

Like SoCal, Florida, Texas, etc.

Then it is up to the logic of the owner of the car to ask him or herself, "Does this oil seem like it may be too thin for my usage?"

Intuition and belief, when backed by engine building experience (me) or even a thorough understanding of how an engine works, and the clearances involved, (a good percentage of all Porsche owners, though not a majority) can and does produce good decisions.

Did BMW suggest a THICKER oil when they changed thier specs? Possibly a change in the first number or both?

Hey, if I had a Porsche under thier "wax winged" Warranty, I would probably think twice about a change. BUt I would be distressed possibly about the condition of the car AFTER the warranty. Porsche is nowhere to be seen when you look that far ahead.

Alas, I don't own a GT3, or even a GT2, but I do buy a whole bunch of oil, and have built one 928 engine from the ground up, and have another ready for final assembly. 5-40 is about the THINNEST oil I could fathom usuing, and in the summer months I would be concerned if I were below a 10 series... I like BMW's 10/60, though I would like to see it at NOT 8 dollars a quart.

I would like to find out what the oil specs are on BMW's new M5/M6 V-10s. Very high output and very high revs.

Originally Posted by LastGT3
Yes, PAG is wrong, we are right.
They gave us the wrong oil and I can now correct them with my extensive engine dyno reliability data.
My point is that it is very very dangerous to do this because:
1. risking your motor to intuition and belief;
2. your warranty will be at risk if you are wrong.

Second, cold start ups are the reason why we get 0WXX oil. At warmed up levels, I am sure PAG gave me warranty on my engine based on the oil specs they required - I would not even chance it unless you like buying your own motors.

I would only change if I recived a bulleting from PAG to me personannal for my VIN that stated this is the new oil for my car and that my warranty would be honoured.

I had an 2000M5 and MBW changed the oil specs to reduce blow by.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:20 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

We have been down this one before. As was stated, the list of approved oils was published.

There is a component within the GT3 engine that constrained the oil parameters.

Why are you trying to equate some other engine to the GT3's when you argue about oil? That does not make sense.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:37 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993_996_enthusiast
We have been down this one before. As was stated, the list of approved oils was published.

There is a component within the GT3 engine that constrained the oil parameters.

Why are you trying to equate some other engine to the GT3's when you argue about oil? That does not make sense.
Ah, yes, the "We are different" attitude surfaces. I'll try anyway.

What Component was that?

"Some other engine" What is it with you guys? There is always this air of "oh, them" with posts in the 993/996/997 forums.
A main bearing in the GT3 looks about the same as it does in a Honda Accord. Does that shock you? So does a rod bearing.

Anyway, I was responding to the post by lastGT3, which smacked of Porsche knows best.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:44 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993_996_enthusiast
What do you mean "Some other engine" anyway? What the hell was that about? You mean you have a problem because I am using my engine building experience? Do you know what your flat six in your GT3 is based on? I'll give you a hint. Flat Four.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:53 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

I don't like your attitude, but as we are strangers I will look up the component in question.

It isn't freaking bearings!

I'm not challenging your engine building abilities.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have moved to the following schedule:
15W-50 in the summer months (track season March-September)
0W-40 in the winter months (October-February)
Old 02-17-2006, 11:13 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

I checked and it is the vario-Cam (variable camshaft timing) components. If I have been mislead then I need some documentation. Porsche AG is recommending '0' or '5' viscosity at lower temperatures and mostly '40' viscosity for the higher temperature level (a 2005 tech info package has one 5w-50 oil on the list). So... without proper documentation how can one claim Porsche AG is wrong on this aspect?

I'm worried about wear and wear beyond the warranty period too. Many of us look at Porsche AG recommendations on a case by case basis. For example, did Porsche recommend the oil change interval based on component wear alone or was ecology on their mind? Another debate. Most use the phrase "cheap insurance" on their more frequent oil changes.

From an earlier GT3 thread, another man's remarks .

"Hi Andrew:

Rockitman got it right; its 0w-40,...

Here's a rule of thumb for these cars regarding oil choices:

Car's with Variocam should use the 0w-40 as these motors are very viscosity sensitive for proper cam timing.

Car's without Variocam can use either one, but I'd really recommend the 15w-50 for track usage.

For Performance Upgrades, Machine Shop Services, & Technical Information, visit us on the Internet at:
http://www.rennsportsystems.com
E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com "

(I made an edit and placed more blank lines above here)
I like many different Porsche models and car brands, so this isn't a flat six engine ego issue to me.

Last edited by 993_996_enthusiast; 02-18-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:19 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Steve - your previous post, as you can see here, did not identify you as you.

I assumed it as the Variocam, but I didn't know it was you.

I apologize for having the attitude I did now that I know its someone with background.

There is, however, a pervasive attitude in many forums populated by 993 and 996/7 people. They rarely even RESPOND to posts by "other engined" people, let alone give some sort of defacto weight to thier posts.

I would like to see Porsche's recomended oil weights for the variocam 968. I think it might be quite a few notches above 0.

While you did have the "driver/instructor" info on there, Locally in San Diego that means the ignorance is even worse.

Quick Reply: 5-40 Mobil