Sponsored by:

Z update in response to multiple requests

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Z update in response to multiple requests

Some of the forums' power hitters seem to have an abiding interest in the Z06 and have asked for further from me.

4500 miles, no issues, new tyres next week, 1 quart added, 13.4 mpg [all city,canyon and track]. 21 on hwy
massive power, excellent handling and mech grip, exc brakes
looks cool, still, after 5 months
installed GT3 seat made the usual huge difference, connectig driver to car. no slide tho'
great canyon slammer with massive reserve HP and T i rarely use all of.
gear box stiffer than 2 or 3 but not too bad
lift rear window is very handy for my son's soccer gear

weakness: mid corner bumps??? i havent pushed the car to the limit -- as under the limit, it does not handle mid corner bumps as well as the CS, feels like a GT2 with bars on stiff: hops sideways. i will report on this after the streets next week... with a gt2, one took a leap of faith and trusted the car and it squatted and held when you did 9/10 thru the corner. i do not know how the Z will behave and chose not to find out at big willow or in the canyons.... turn 7 bump at Big Willow, anyone? i hope to go to the track with allanlaw from the Z site who does very fast big willow laps in his Z......

also, as helpful as most guys are on the Z sites, there is sales hype over there from after market, which does not really happen here:
-hype example: brakepads dont last more than a day at track truth: they're very thick and do last altho' they are soft street compounds. i bought 3 sets and havent used up any

all in all a supervalue. and much to my surprise, they're staying hot [probably as the market at 65-85 is much larger than say at 150]: Kerbeck not longer accepts orders and sells what they get at 7500 over. In CA they're 18 over.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:55 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Whats next Watt? You won't hold onto this one?
Old 02-16-2006, 02:58 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Coilovers? Please report on the change to handling when removing the runflats. I have heard there is a marketed improvement.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:08 PM
tlark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like its good enough car for most of us.

Any brake fade w/the street pads during a session.

Thanks for taking the time Watt........ I too have noticed that stuff on the z site, more posers that only drive in a straight line IMO, thats why I asked.........thanks

Last edited by tlark; 02-17-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:17 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

pics
Old 02-19-2006, 03:39 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carbotech recently released C6z06 pads- may want to look into them, I hear they are a huge improvement over stock
Old 02-19-2006, 11:03 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Coilovers? Please report on the change to handling when removing the runflats. I have heard there is a marketed improvement.
ZO6's don't come with runflats at least C5 ZO6's didn't...
Old 02-19-2006, 11:36 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watt,

Sounds like you're getting ready to sell the car!

Watt's next?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:59 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
ZO6's don't come with runflats at least C5 ZO6's didn't...

Hmmm. I remember reading that they are on the C6 Z06.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:37 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Hmmm. I remember reading that they are on the C6 Z06.

Ya, they do in '06... mine has them anyway. Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT's. They are horrible IMHO. Even at the req. 30 PSI. As far as my research shows there is nothing else currently made to exactly match the rears at 325/30 19 though Michelin PS1's cut for the Viper will fit the 13" rear rim.

My C6 Z06 will be for sale as soon as the title shows up on the mail. 400 miles, every option, Victory Red.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:23 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow johnny!!! don't even have the tile yet and ready to give it up. What gives?
Old 02-25-2006, 09:30 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mac993
Wow johnny!!! don't even have the tile yet and ready to give it up. What gives?
Honestly, while I've been waiting for the Z06 I decided to try German cars... result... BMW and Porsche have ruined me in the space of two years.

Truth, before the M3 and the C2S after the M3, I was all Corvette. Had a Lingenfelter'd C5 handling modded to the limit. I loved that car. Didn't know any different. Thought THAT was how a fast car felt. Then I felt the balance of the M3 at all speeds but missed the torque. Got into the C2S, learned to track it, became SMITTEN with the Porsche even with only 295 ft. lbs. torque.

Been waiting and waiting for the C6 Z06... finally got it out on the mountain twisties and just wanted to go spit. No joy. Leaps sideways over bumps in the corners, shifts like a shotgun shell reloader. The power is simply NOT enough anymore. It has a Great motor, Great torque, Good build quality, lots of gizmos and an absolute need of mods. Different tires, springs, sway bars, steering wheel, shifter... but Flip It. Now that I know better I'll just stick with Porsche.

IMHO, the Z06, with it's big motor, great gas milage, endless torque, comfy seats and satellite radio would be a GREAT straight line highway rocket. You know, if I sold drilling equipment in Texas and had to drive the whole state every week... the Z06 would be IT.

But I drive for fun now... and I've learned that nothing is as fun as a Porsche.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:39 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Johnny- Your "evolution" so to speak is much like mine except I went the mustang route. I love my p-car but the V8 sound and feel has been calling lately. The Z06 has been a option for me but I've feared that I would have the same experence you decribed. Guess I should take a lession learned from someone who has gone through it. Thanks..... Look like a TT is my new calling.... Great, wait until the GF hears about this!

Thanks again for the info.

Quick Reply: Z update in response to multiple requests