Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wart(s)!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 01:52 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. The solution is very simple - take out all electronics that make decisions for the driver.
No Brake and forget
No Turn and Forget
No Throttle to the floor and forget
Otherswise, we will soon be "racing" ferriswheels and rollercoasters.
Frankly, it just makes my good ol' 996GT3 more valuable to me.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:17 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by LastGT3
I agree. The solution is very simple - take out all electronics that make decisions for the driver.
No Brake and forget
No Turn and Forget
The "your car is easier to drive than mine" arguement has been around forever. Heck, there used to be t-shirts that said "real cars have 4 cams". Unless you are driving a swing axle 356 or SWB 911, you're driving an "easy" car.

Any gizmo that makes the car turn faster lap times is good in my book.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:04 PM
LastGT3
Racer

I think the statement of whether dumbing down the driving skill required just to increase speeds (ie easier to drive) is "good" is quite debateable - for a daily driver driven at legal speeds on the street, I agree with you. Any safety net is good.
However, on the track either during DE events or open lapping events, if one believes that allowing one to rely on an IC to do their driving is good or "good training", I cannot agree on the same aspects I went through previously:
1. ...it is less fun, (ie you do not know what you are missing), 2. you will be deluded into thinking you are better than you are, and 3. you will get into situations that are either over your head, or the response of the car is unpredictable as it is not your brain driving it - which is dangerous. and 4. Yes, its true, other drivers will never respect the skills of the driver running TC or Stab Mgt - simply because you cannot give them 100% credit - you have to give their car's software credit and congratulate the software dev team and the test drivers who tested the code on the test mules. Does this sound like "arcade mode" on playstation? Sure does to me. Of course, when all cars run TC and stab Mgt, you still will not been given credit for your driving skills (ie judgement and technique) as the software algorithms and parameters will be differnt for different cars.
So I hate to be a downer but software does not belong on a sports car to be driven by enthousiasts or those who want to learn.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

My 2 cents. Traction Control and Stability management are for bad drivers and bad weather (snow and ice) in that order. I agree with Last, the electronics make unskilled drivers overconfident until their lack of skill overcomes the power of the chips to correct things. One region bought an old 944 and use it to teach people aboout the real dynamics of driving. I wish we had the budget.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:29 PM
tcetta
Intermediate

Pull out in a carrera GT and you will appreciate traction control.

What about the tyres??? Will the GT3 sport 18" or 19" and that alone will make a large handling determination on how the PASM will set up in "sport" mode. If porsche tweaks the suspension to a GT3 specific rim combo then the PASM and suspension geometry should be as good as it is in the 997S. If they would adjust it to be a little firmer and less CPU imput, PASM+. My dream is on a GT3 tyre/rim combo similar to 8.5X18 and 11.5X18 and a PASM with a track button, and when not in track mode then a plush ride as the 997's. Then we would have no need for the 997S that I just bought.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:31 PM
AlanN
Instructor

Originally Posted by LastGT3
No Brake and forget
No Turn and Forget

Quick Reply: The wart(s)!