GT3 RS sports exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 09:57 AM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile GT3 RS sports exhaust

Hey guys,

I am considering buying a sports exhaust for the RS but am not quite sure for which system to go for. I had almost decided to go for Manthey but I have now also started to think of Cargraphic and Europipe. Anyone here with experience or any recommendations? Worth to go for race cats as well or not?

Thanks!

Ps. Advantages and disadvantages with the "uniball" suspension upgrade?
Old 02-07-2006, 02:55 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heard good things about the Manthey. Another owner of an RS said he had an issue with a cargraphic but didn't give specifics.

Not that many RS owners have changed in the UK though since we can't generally get on trackdays with noisy cars.

Uniball will make the ride teeth rattling and I've been assured that they wear rather quickly under road usage.

Have you already got uprated dampers etc? Thats a more logical first step for improving track dynamics.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:02 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes seem to be popular this side of the pond for those of us with the "base" GT3. Cat bypass pipes are wicked loud, are totally not for the road, and may not even be allowed at most tracks you go to...I think they are over 104db.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:33 PM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Thanks for your replies! I wonder what issues the RS owner encountered. Regarding the uniball, not too fond of a teeth rattling ride So it will wear quickly under road usage? What exacly makes it wear more?

Bypass it too loud.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:42 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MatroxMGA
Thanks for your replies! I wonder what issues the RS owner encountered. Regarding the uniball, not too fond of a teeth rattling ride So it will wear quickly under road usage? What exacly makes it wear more?

Bypass it too loud.
uniball is the same as 'rose-jointing' I believe. Instead of having bushings in all the suspension joints, you have metal on metal joints. Gives very precise control of geometry etc with no play, but can be damaged by potholes etc. At least this is what I was told when I investigated the option on a previous car.

Dunno what the problem was with the cargraphic. I like Manthey though as they appear to be a relatively low BS race shop rather than a bunch of decal applying 20" wheel fitting poseurs
Old 02-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

MatroxMGA,

1. The Manthey system will not pass the decibel limits at Swedish race tracks, I know people that have been asked to leave the track.

2. The Europipe does not fit the Mk.1 GT3

3. Unless you change your ECU to compensate for the drop in backpressure that comes with such exhaust systems, you will have nothing but a louder exhaust note and perhaps even a drop in horsepower.

Ciao,
Old 02-08-2006, 03:40 AM
RS Patrik
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
MatroxMGA,

1. The Manthey system will not pass the decibel limits at Swedish race tracks, I know people that have been asked to leave the track.

2. The Europipe does not fit the Mk.1 GT3

3. Unless you change your ECU to compensate for the drop in backpressure that comes with such exhaust systems, you will have nothing but a louder exhaust note and perhaps even a drop in horsepower.

Ciao,
Exactly, ask Andreas and Sten.... they learned the hard and expensive way.
Lars Bertil has (or had) Cargraphic on his GT2.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:46 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The manthey one sounds awesome..

pm Weng as he has one, I heard it WOT at sepang...amazing
Old 02-09-2006, 02:57 AM
Weng
Instructor

Quick correction Fongster - I have the Cargraphic tuning kit with R-exhaust system, not the Manthey. System comes with new headers which helps the overall sound experience immensely.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:29 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Weng
Quick correction Fongster - I have the Cargraphic tuning kit with R-exhaust system, not the Manthey. System comes with new headers which helps the overall sound experience immensely.

oops my bad...

was talking to Philip earlier..Have fun at Sepang tmw...
Old 02-09-2006, 06:31 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

I have the full Cargraphic R system on my Mk2 with the ECU upgrade.
Sounds superb and goes very fast indeed.
I kept getting CEL but this turned out to be caused by the Porsche OPC putting the
lambda probes in the wrong way round.
Cargraphic were very helpful and quality is very good.
Shane
Old 02-09-2006, 08:08 AM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Originally Posted by DanH
uniball is the same as 'rose-jointing' I believe. Instead of having bushings in all the suspension joints, you have metal on metal joints. Gives very precise control of geometry etc with no play, but can be damaged by potholes etc. At least this is what I was told when I investigated the option on a previous car.

Dunno what the problem was with the cargraphic. I like Manthey though as they appear to be a relatively low BS race shop rather than a bunch of decal applying 20" wheel fitting poseurs
Thanks Dan, that's what I figured after reading about the upgrade.

RS Patrik: have spoken to them about their exhausts, Sten has 2 different exhausts, loud and loud+ Lars Betil's GT2 has been tuned by 9ff I believe, not sure what exhaust he has fitted now.

Regarding sound levels, its ok with a rather high pitch sound when driving at Spa and Nürburgring for example, so why not have the best of both worlds A quiet version for tracks with strict regulations and a louder version for the rest.

Do you guys believe the RS will depreciate sub. in value once the 997 GT3 production will start?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:35 AM
RS Patrik
Racer

Originally Posted by MatroxMGA
RS Patrik: have spoken to them about their exhausts, Sten has 2 different exhausts, loud and loud+ Lars Betil's GT2 has been tuned by 9ff I believe, not sure what exhaust he has fitted now.

So, none that works in Sweden then...
LB's is back to stock both exhaust and ECU.

Regarding sound levels, its ok with a rather high pitch sound when driving at Spa and Nürburgring for example, so why not have the best of both worlds A quiet version for tracks with strict regulations and a louder version for the rest.

We can always wish...

Do you guys believe the RS will depreciate sub. in value once the 997 GT3 production will start?
No, as it was a homage to the RS '73 as a 30 years edition + strict ltd availability.

As price levels of ALL RS models are high:

RS '73: €150k
RS '92:€50k
RS '95:€75K

But as a short term "investment" no cars are good.

So I assume a GT3 RS is the car of the month?
Old 02-09-2006, 05:49 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

RS supply in the UK has dried right up since Sept when I bought mine. Prices have actually edged up a tad.

I'm not confident they don't have further to fall though. This is probably a dead cat bounce
Old 02-09-2006, 07:21 PM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Originally Posted by RS Patrik
No, as it was a homage to the RS '73 as a 30 years edition + strict ltd availability.

As price levels of ALL RS models are high:

RS '73: €150k
RS '92:€50k
RS '95:€75K

But as a short term "investment" no cars are good.

So I assume a GT3 RS is the car of the month?
Indeed, the RS is the flavour of the month

Cars are never good investments (at least 99 times out of 100) but I am abit worried that the RS will drop rapidly in value once the 997 GT3 starts production and the 997 GT3 RS has been announced (shortly after I believe). Hmmm

Anyway, next week I'm off with my 997 S to the Porsche factory in Leipzig. Tour of the plant and free access to their test track with instructors, incl. testing of the Carrera GT and a 950hp GT2 tuned by 9ff.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS sports exhaust