Sponsored by:

997 GT3 Club Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 09:23 AM
healeyg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 GT3 Club Sport

So, if there is going to be a GT3 and a GT3RS in the US (and they can figure out how to do a bolt in roll cage), will there be a Club Sport option, like in Europe with Roll bar, race seats, and fire X?

Do they get around crash test issues via dealer installation with a liability waver?

Has any car been certified by DOT with a roll bar / cage to anyone's knowledge? (360CS for example - does it have a roll bar?)
Old 01-28-2006, 10:36 AM
tlark
Drifting

The 360CS does not have a roll bar.

If this info is true, as long as the car mets US regs., roll bar, seats (etc.) are not an issue. The weight will be greater due to higher US saftey standards, the question is will they build it with the additional costs associated with design differences.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:53 AM
healeyg
Instructor

i'm no expert, but i think the roll bar/cage is a DOT regulatory issue. ie, when not wearing a helmet, you can hit your head against a bar in the interior in a street crash.

i thought that was always the issue with certification of a roll bar / cage? which is why we haven't had the CS option in the past
Old 01-28-2006, 11:58 AM
tlark
Drifting

Originally Posted by healeyg
i'm no expert, but i think the roll bar/cage is a DOT regulatory issue. ie, when not wearing a helmet, you can hit your head against a bar in the interior in a street crash.

i thought that was always the issue with certification of a roll bar / cage? which is why we haven't had the CS option in the past

You could be right on the roll bar and suspect you are now that I think about it.

Remember you have two differing CS options. The one CS does not have the r-bar, it does have race type seats, and the options a f-extingisher, under dash stero head unit and Stradale center stripes (I think). Perhaps Porsche would install everthing except it which would meet DOT standards which is what Ferrari does for the street 360CS. The cars for the challange series (race) are not allowed for street use. It would make sense if they followed that logic as long as its profitable of course.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:47 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Whatever GT3 Porsche bring over here (US), whatever they choose to call it (GT3/RS/CS), there will always be a more hardcore version for the ROW. Porsche are just being smart by getting 996GT3 owners (past & present) out of their current cars and into the "997GT3RS". IMHO
Old 01-28-2006, 03:36 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

The ROW Gt3 CS comes with a 6 point rollbar with detachable fronts as stock in both mk1, and mk2 spec. The Ferrari CS ROW market model also comes with a roll bar, no idea if it's an option or stock, but is not monuted in the US version.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First of all, I wouldn't hold my breath about GT3RS coming here in States.

And way I see it, 996 GT3 is the 993 RS and 996 GT3RS is the 993 RSCS.

I don't see how there will be clubsport version since GT3RS already can be compared to that.
Or am I wrong, I though GT3RS came with roll bar etc.?
If you call GT3RS a clubsport, then that's a different matter but I don't think it never was called that.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:04 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Finn,

It's unfortunate but you may be right the "real" RS may be too hardcore for the comfort driven, "I want a cup holder", sat/nav, seat warmers, gadget filled, etc... "PIMP" US market. However it still is possible that Porsche produces a car for the states that is a bit lighter and a little more hard core than the "regular" GT3 and call it the 997 GT3 RSA.

I know that if they were to bring the ROW RS to States they would sell them all. Some to enthusiast like me and some to the "I want the latest and greatest from Porsche just because I can afford it" crowd. Personnally I don't care who buys it as long as they bring it and I can get my hands on one!!

If there only was a way of finding out whether or not the RS is coming to the States?
Old 01-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Finn,

It's unfortunate but you may be right the "real" RS may be too hardcore for the comfort driven, "I want a cup holder", sat/nav, seat warmers, gadget filled, etc... "PIMP" US market. However it still is possible that Porsche produces a car for the states that is a bit lighter and a little more hard core than the "regular" GT3 and call it the 997 GT3 RSA.

I know that if they were to bring the ROW RS to States they would sell them all. Some to enthusiast like me and some to the "I want the latest and greatest from Porsche just because I can afford it" crowd. Personnally I don't care who buys it as long as they bring it and I can get my hands on one!!

If there only was a way of finding out whether or not the RS is coming to the States?
If hey'll bring it here or where ever, for sure they'll sell them if they produce them in numbers they did last time.

But as with GT3, surely there will be those pimps who realize car dosn't have all the "mandatory" gadgets & comforts needed for "posh" car they want... Wich RS obviously isn't, not should be.

If there was a way to find out... Hmm...
Old 01-30-2006, 12:19 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I think may a happen.

When the MKI GT3 came out it was only available to ROW.
When MKII GT3 came out they made it available to ROW and NA, BUT they also offerred a harder core verison, ie GT3RS to ROW but not to NA.
When MKIII GT3 comes out there will be a GT3 and GT3RS available for both ROW and NA, BUT since ROW has always gotten a harder core verison of a GT3 I wouldn't be surprised if they offer a ROW only GT3RSR street version.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:23 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RR
This is what I think may a happen.

When the MKI GT3 came out it was only available to ROW.
When MKII GT3 came out they made it available to ROW and NA, BUT they also offerred a harder core verison, ie GT3RS to ROW but not to NA.
When MKIII GT3 comes out there will be a GT3 and GT3RS available for both ROW and NA, BUT since ROW has always gotten a harder core verison of a GT3 I wouldn't be surprised if they offer a ROW only GT3RSR street version.
This may be a possibility but not a probability IMHO. By that rationale the RS would like a Club Sport version. I think they'll build a "regular" with that also being available in CS and then one RS whether or not it comes to the US is another question.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:28 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 526 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by healeyg
Has any car been certified by DOT with a roll bar / cage to anyone's knowledge? (360CS for example - does it have a roll bar?)
No rollbar in the 360 CS from the factory for the states.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:34 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm not sure I agree. Yes the 996 GT3 RS was ROW, on the other hand is was a very limited production run - something like 200 cars? I think it was a homologation special and nothing more. The 993 had a Club Sport edition with better suspension, lighter weight and a 3.8 liter motor. Patrick RS would probably know for sure ...

Rgds,
Old 01-31-2006, 08:26 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately they made rather more GT3 RSs than originally envisaged. The UK alone got 134 cars (or there abouts if my memory is betraying me). They also sold rather a lot to speculators and those who didn't really know what they were signing up for. Prices spiked initially and then depreciation has been steep. Fortunately that put one into my budget

Anyway, they made rather more than 200, although they definitely oversupplied. Apparently a lot of SA and Hong Kong cars were shipped to the UK to arbitrage.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:18 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Maybe they'll build a GT3, an RS (not as hardcore as 996 GT3 RS, somewhere between that and clubsport) and both will come to the US and then they'll build an RSR (street car) for ROW not including the US.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 Club Sport