Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Cracked Fikse ruins my day

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 02:26 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I've only got the stock rims, so I'm somewhat naive on this topic. That said, I've read a lot over the years about many different aftermarket wheels since it's such a popular mod. Here's what confuses me...the popularity of Kinesis, Fikse, HRE, etc given all the problems they have. Seems to me that if I were to buy some rims, I'd go with BBS. I don't recall ever seeing any issues regarding their products (putting aside the magnesium race wheels), they look as good as any of the rest, weight should be comparable and the price doesn't seem to be much different. What am I missing?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:32 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,891 Likes on 2,410 Posts

holger, BBS and BBS motorsport both has had failures similiar to fikse, kinessis, hre. these wheel are very light compard to oem, something's got to give. the race teams routinely magnaflux these things to make sure no cracks are hiding and that all the bolts are troqued right. we as consumers dont do that nearly as much, yet expect all the benefits of lwt wheels (me included).

and non of these wheel are really suitable for street use with potholes and all.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:34 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

BBS
Old 01-25-2006, 10:22 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An alternative that I'm contemplating is the sport techno wheels from the C4S, I believe. My local dealer had a set without tires, and he also had a rear GT3 wheel without tires. The sport techno wheel was definitely lighter, and it has the same offset as the GT3 rear, and it's 11x18 as well. The only compromise is that the fronts are only 8in wide, rather than 8.5. Now if we could just find an OEM 8.5 or 9in wheel to fit the front, then bob's your uncle--

Geoff.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:47 AM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Jim Fikse: he'll make it right. Alan at Kinesis will also go to measures necessary to ensure everyone's safe. I like both of them.

Mark.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Originally Posted by mooty
holger, BBS and BBS motorsport both has had failures similiar to fikse, kinessis, hre. these wheel are very light compard to oem, something's got to give. the race teams routinely magnaflux these things to make sure no cracks are hiding and that all the bolts are troqued right. we as consumers dont do that nearly as much, yet expect all the benefits of lwt wheels (me included).

and non of these wheel are really suitable for street use with potholes and all.

From what I've seen, the failure rate seems to be much lower for BBS street wheels than the others.

I'm aware of the drawbacks of using these and it's probably our crappy roads that keeps Porsche from offering them as original equipment.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:34 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Remember BBS makes the OEM wheels for Porsche.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Remember BBS makes the OEM wheels for Porsche.
Correct, but the factory doesn't offer the lightweight forged version.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:50 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You are correct sir....for good reason I guess. I'll stick with my sport technos!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:36 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Z06 convert
Hi Gang!
A couple months ago I had Kineses request the rears off my Turbo. I think it was the bolts they replaced.
Actually it was the rim halves from Kinesis that were an issue. The third party that makes the halves for Kinesis and HRE had an issue with one of their machines apparently. It caused the bend to the mating surface for the center not to be square. With use and track days, this caused the bolts to stretch and they would break as this is not a force they were intended to take. I had a GT3 customer on the highway that had his rear tire go flat. Turned out that 14 of the bolts were broken which caused the center to open wide enough for the air to escape the seal. The other wheel had 4 broken bolts.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:51 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Holger B
Correct, but the factory doesn't offer the lightweight forged version.
Except on the Cup cars.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:53 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Damn RJ that really sucks, good thing you found out now and not with the family on board. Fikse needs to get you a new set of wheels or a complete refund. OEM and BBS seem to be the most rock solid. Knock on wood my CCWs are good so far on the track.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:01 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Let's clarify here...

1. The forged centers and hardware have been fine.

2. The inside edge of the inner rim is where the stress cracks have shown up.

3. I don't hit potholes.

These wheels have seen REALLY light duty, so I suspect defective materials, a defective manufacturing process, or both.

I find it hard to believe that the design would be flawed, especially since Fikse has such a solid reputation for producing reliable rims such as the FM10. I know guys that track Fikses all the time with no issues whatsoever.

No rim is immune to stress and there have been failures. However, with the amount of duty my wheels have seen, they shouldn't be anywhere close to stress cracking.

The situation is disturbing. We'll see how Fikse addresses the problem.

Cheers
Old 01-27-2006, 12:01 AM
Jim Hodel
Advanced

FWIW, I had a slow leak in one of my Forgeline wheels. It was strictly a track wheel mounted with racing tires and I had run around 35 track days. The wheel was almost 7 years old. I shipped it back to Forgeline and they fixed it for $200.

Seems reasonable too me. The wheels are quite light.

Jim

Quick Reply: OT: Cracked Fikse ruins my day