Sponsored by:

(ex)GT3 owners stop whining

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:41 AM
bora
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry (ex)GT3 owners stop whining

I have been reading lately on this board about how GT3s are not suitable on the street, how boring they are on the street and on and on. Mostly from people that have sold their GT3s.

I have two points to make:

1) Do not whine about how the ride is rough after swapping out the stock suspension with 800 lbs springs and Moton CS and how the car is no longer suitable for the street. Porsche knew what they were doing when they put in the GT3 suspension.

2) Do not complain about how loud the engine is, or how the stereo sucks. Frankly that is what the test drive is for. And if you bought a 100K car (mine was 120K+) without going on a proper length test drive, then I guess you know what the problem is

Seriously, ladies and gentlemen, GT3 is a rare car for a rare person. It is not a 40th anniversary 911 (which is a fine car by the way), or a special edition Boxster. Having owned 3 M3s (all three generations) and raced the real M3 (E30 for non BMW people), the GT3 ain't an M3 either

I have had nearly 5K joyful miles on mine and days that I drive it to work, I have a 38 mile commute (one way) on 101 in SF Bay Area. It is worth it to me to be able to downshift to 2nd, punch it and zoom ahead. And the backroads are just pure heaven.

I just feel sad for the people that bought this car thinking it would appreciate in value (which it will, give it 5-10 years), or to have the latest rare car on the block (should have bought an F360 -- much more poseur appeal). They have lost about 20-30K in one year (which is still better than a Ford Taurus in terms of percentages).

This post is not intended as a flame, but just venting my frustration here.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:01 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I love my GT3 and drive it to work daily ..in the summer of course..i have the Moton's 600/800 springs.. no problem here.. it's a joy to drive home at night ..roads are empty.

I also find it strange that so many people would be selling such a great car... when it finaly reaches the true enthusiest hands it will become a rare car to find.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:10 AM
bora
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06
I love my GT3 and drive it to work daily ..in the summer of course..i have the Moton's 600/800 springs.. no problem here.. it's a joy to drive home at night ..roads are empty.

I also find it strange that so many people would be selling such a great car... when it finaly reaches the true enthusiest hands it will become a rare car to find.
Exactly, just look at RSA prices or E30 M3s.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:08 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've heard many a weak excuse from people on this board trying to justify selling their GT3s - it's too noisey - it's not a daily driver - my wife can't drive stick - it's not a racecar... Guess who's on the waiting-list for a brand new 997GT3 then?
Old 01-24-2006, 05:07 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MetalSolid
I've heard many a weak excuse from people on this board trying to justify selling their GT3s - it's too noisey - it's not a daily driver - my wife can't drive stick - it's not a racecar... Guess who's on the waiting-list for a brand new 997GT3 then?

I was looking at your photo album and saw a Ruf RGT

What's it like?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:35 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what stereo? I dont have one.... or I haven't used it yet
Old 01-24-2006, 08:58 AM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Absolutely, I didn't buy mine to track it. Although people on this board will say if you don't track, don't buy one. What do they know? I drive mine on the weekends, weather permitting, and love every minute of it. The back country roads of southern Maryland are perfect.

I've have also had it up to 173 mph, steady as a rock. I didn't buy it as an investment. Who buys a car for that? If it holds its value great, if not, I don't care, I know I own one of the best 911's ever built.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:35 AM
Boulder GT3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Absolutely, I didn't buy mine to track it. Although people on this board will say if you don't track, don't buy one. What do they know? I drive mine on the weekends, weather permitting, and love every minute of it. The back country roads of southern Maryland are perfect.

I've have also had it up to 173 mph, steady as a rock. I didn't buy it as an investment. Who buys a car for that? If it holds its value great, if not, I don't care, I know I own one of the best 911's ever built.
Well said.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Had my 05 GT3 less than a week and I like it more than any car I have ever had. The ride is great (I like the rock solid suspension) cornering is a dream and visual appeal is second to none. I thought I would miss my 06 997, but I don't.
I cannot find any fault with this wonderful Porsche!
Old 01-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

GT3 does not have loud engine or hard suspension for street driving, it's the pimps who complain about rough ride or loud engine.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:18 AM
LastGT3
Racer

Yeah - I hear it all the time about the the qualitative difference between soft suspensions vs hard - I am not sure what PAG is using in the GT3, but its softer than my truck, its more solid like my minivan - but I do not find it all a problem to go 600 miles in one shot. I think they hit the suspension settings right on the button - OH, I drive it 2.7 and 2.3 fr/Rr neg camber - she handles excellent.
On the track, it shines only when the driver feels confidence that it will respond, then its like GS turns on ski slope, actually it remind me when I used race the local kids toboganning - with me located at the back of the sled - the car is art. I think I am going home now to embrace her again. (sob sob
Old 01-24-2006, 10:23 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

had the 997 been there done that.... and" Hanns" is making a hundred more today.

the GT3 is a rare breed for the enthusiast, if drive it on the track great if you don't great ( but you are missing something if you don't even try a pca DE)

i didn't realize it came with a stereo?
Old 01-24-2006, 11:24 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The GT3 is a rare car. Less than 960 in US sold during 3 years. Very strong body and engine.

From all the cars I've driven, this is the one I will choose.

You can drive easily on the streets and track with one set of tires (all-season Toyo RA1), it's a real arrive and drive car at the track.

Is there any other modern sport car with these much R&D on Racing programs? Since 1998 the GT3Cup is on tracks around the world. Other than the ABS, the car is free of baby sitters electronic driving assistants.

By the way, the people that recognize a GT3 on the street is a totally different crowd. They're extreme car enthusiast.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my GT3...its an amazing breed...

sadly, mine will be up for sale in a few months as I prepare to move back home to Asia
Old 01-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts

This is a great thread. I too love my car. It puts a smile on my face at 30mph and 155mph (on the track)

It is the best 911 I've ever driven in bar none. I absolutly love the old 993s (best looking 911s ever IMO) And have not regretted a moment from selling my C4S

This is one amazing car. I understand guys that have the race bug making room for a cup car or alike. But I don't get the "its terrible for the street" Its as good as my old 993. Maybe a lot of these owners started in the 996, and got use to the cush??

Quick Reply: (ex)GT3 owners stop whining