Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 degree shims CF wing (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:29 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Cool - pm sent. John thanks for the confirmation.

That Wing is the business and the car could be named 'ghost dog' - ominous is a slight understatement. Thanks for posting all the angles. As an aside, how do mere mortals ( those of us without wind tunnels that is) measure the impact? Lap times maybe but can be influenced by so many factors. g force readings?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:48 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TD just looked at pics..NICE!
Old 03-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 49 Posts

New wing looks good, a lot more sat up than the normal RS, got to be good for 'clean air'. Seeing as I had been given a set of the 4degree shims and reading all the "good for track" posts I painted and installed ready for Spa in 2 weeks.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2017, 11:11 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
2004 called and wants its wing shim debate back.
LOL

New to the 996 GT3 world.

My car came with the RS front splinter....which no joke was ripped off after 30 seconds/30 feet of ownership and a RS rear wing running 4 degrees which I've taken off and will eventually post it for sale.

I have the original front splinter and the original rear wing, but I'm considering to buy another front RS Splinter.

What is a good balance to run on the car, considering Trembant my home track has few long stretches.

I'm thinking, RS front splinter with 8 degree rear on stock wing.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:12 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

The answer is it depends on many factors including how you drive the car. For many years I used the 8 degree shims and recently switched to the 4 degree ones with the OEM RS Wing. You get more down force at high speeds with more wing angle, but that also slows you down. At Lime Rock Park I did not notice any down force loss with 4 degree and picked up 2 miles/hour on the front straight. You really need to be at the limits for the down force to impact the lap times. Overall, I was faster with 4 vs 8 at LRP. On the other hand, Watkins Glen has more high speed turns where 8 degree could be better, but if I am not driving to the G limit or the car/tires I might not see the benefit. I will experiment and measure the data.

At LCMT turn 1 would be more planted with more wing. Not sure other places on the track where you would see a benefit with 8 degrees. The shimms are inexpensive so it is best to try and measure the results. Also, how it feels at the seat of your pants.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:51 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

I used 8 degree shims with both stock and rs wing. For track days with cup front splitter its abit ghetto but I use racers tape to prevent gapping from splitter and bumper. I've had many splitters pop out at the track. Works for me 😃. Mike
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2017, 07:28 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

And hopefully the coolant pipes have been pinned or welded. My signature picture- you'll see coolant dumping big time. Luckily I was on water and water wetter only so didn't affect anyone on my spray time on a hot summer day. Mike
Old 08-15-2017, 09:30 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mike,

My lines have been properly pinned and I'm on water wetter as a precaution....so I'm gooood!

Thanks for the insight on the spoilers....your rear wing definitely looks jacked!

My car is also guards red....rizzy's da color!
Old 08-15-2017, 09:42 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Cup splitters does not have the recess area for double tape to glue bumper and splitter. Even with recess area for stock splitter I still see a gap between bumper and splitter. Rs wing is pretty awesome to plant rear on high speed kinks. Even with 8 degree shims on stock wing the rear still floats. I suggest you keep the rs wing for now and try it on track and do comparo on the stock wing. My three tracks I go to are LS/Sears Point and Thill- my laptimes are faster with rs wing vs stock. Mike
Old 08-15-2017, 09:47 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Another thing if your rs wing is the real deal and in grand shape. Keep it for awhile. Finding a 6gt3 is easier to find/buy vs the rs wing. Mike
Old 08-15-2017, 10:39 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

The RS front spoiler is a no brainer. Get Andrew to prep and install it for you - including tie wraps - it ain't going anywhere. Some better front DF, and cheaper to boot.

For the rear shims, I would go with 4 degrees - understanding everything is a compromise. Someone above mentioned the Glen. You would get killed with drag at 8 degrees, IMO.

Cheers

Matt
Old 08-15-2017, 10:45 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

As an aside - I know Chris' car was setup and trailered exclusively.

If you plan to drive it on the street as well, you need an alignment that makes sense (and fits your driving).

Ride height especially. Yes, lower will be better for track, but you'll still scrape occasionally even if you're careful running Kussmaul settings. Our roads are ****e. Need to compromise track setup to get the car there and back in one piece!

Cheers

Matt
Old 08-16-2017, 09:34 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

couple of things here. If you really intend to use the car primarily as a track weapon I'd get used to the looks of the RS wing and keep it. The superior design of the wing element on the RS blade allows it to make more downforce than the stock unit with less drag. The OEM wing at with 8 degree shims is a bit of a parachute from a drag perspective.

None of these aero components really make much of a difference below 70-80 mph...but I'd have to think Tremblant is one of those places where the wing would absolutely make a difference.

Matt - regarding the glen...the 8 degree is absolutely the way to go because all of the corners are fast sweepers where it really helps plant the rear of the car. On Nitto's with 4 degree shims on an RS wing I had to tip toe up through the esses and couldn't get to full throttle until after the apex of T3. With the 8 degree shims and a slight shock change I was able to get back to full throttle at the apex of 2 and hold it all the way down the straight.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:08 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Matt - regarding the glen...the 8 degree is absolutely the way to go because all of the corners are fast sweepers where it really helps plant the rear of the car. On Nitto's with 4 degree shims on an RS wing I had to tip toe up through the esses and couldn't get to full throttle until after the apex of T3. With the 8 degree shims and a slight shock change I was able to get back to full throttle at the apex of 2 and hold it all the way down the straight.
Thanks Andy, I stand corrected. I assumed that the high speeds would create drag greater than the increased grip afforded.

Would be interesting to get data to understand the curve, +/-, where DF trumps smooth air. You would not only need to A/B the setups, you'd need a driver confident enough in 9/10ths in those fast corners [not me!].

Anyone else compared 4 vs. 8 (or more) degrees at WGI? I'm curious.

Cheers

Matt
Old 08-17-2017, 08:58 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Thanks Andy, I stand corrected. I assumed that the high speeds would create drag greater than the increased grip afforded.

Would be interesting to get data to understand the curve, +/-, where DF trumps smooth air. You would not only need to A/B the setups, you'd need a driver confident enough in 9/10ths in those fast corners [not me!].

Anyone else compared 4 vs. 8 (or more) degrees at WGI? I'm curious.

Cheers

Matt
At the glen you're going to loose 3-4mph in the straight with the 8 degre shims in there but you'll more than make up for it in the turns if you get the most out of the car. Also you're going to be topped out in 4th gear almost no matter what at the end of the straight before the bus stop so a few MPH there isn't as big of a loss as you would think.

At my home track, Mid Ohio, my car is quicker with 4 degree shims as the loss of MPH on the back straight effects the overall lap more. There's just not enough fast stuff at Mid Ohio for aero to be as big of an impact in the corners.

Quick Reply: 4 degree shims CF wing (pics)