Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 degree shims CF wing (pics)

Old 01-08-2006, 06:47 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4 degree shims CF wing (pics)

After Eric (BumperPlugs) made me some new wing support plugs (the originals were semi destroyed from removal for wing installation and adjustment) I decided to install the 4 degree shims...first surprise...the shims are an ugly dull red plastic and unfortunately, some of the shim was visible at the rear top of the wing support...it looked like crap...so I painted them with my touch-up kit...much better...the wing looks very agressive at this angle compared to laying flat on the supports....

shim installed

Eric's wing support plug installed

wing re-installed

rear view
Old 01-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Vader13
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice
Old 01-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Jonathan A
Advanced

Looks really good!
Old 01-08-2006, 11:28 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

thanks guys...just got the cup front splitter back from the painter...will post pics when I get it on....

p.s. no flames please...I know it's a waste of time and money but I want to see what it looks like and how long I can make it last.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Biker
Intermediate

Chuck, or anyone else who has installed 4 degree wing shims, please clarify something. I got a "set" of shims from my local dealer that included 4 pieces: to rights and 2 left shims. They do not fit right when you try to place more than one shim per side. The picture of GT3 Chuck's car appears to have 4 shims in his new wing. Maybe that wing does take four shims, but my local dealer dealer made some calls and said that I got an extra set of shims; the stock wing only takes one per side. Who is right?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Stock wing is one per side. Two sets are available, 4 degrees and 8 degrees. Perhaps you got a set of each? Are the part numbers exactly the same?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:33 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One shim per side at a time.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:44 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

the 4 degree shims are the ones you want to install...the 8 deg shims will give you way too much rear downforce....the part numbers for the 4 deg shims are:

996 512 821 90R
996 512 821 90L

As denoted there is a left and right...the shims in my pics are the 4 degrees...you dont' have to remove the wing to install...just loosen the torx lift the back and slide them in...the four round indentations will match up with 4 round bumps in the top of the wing support...good luck...
Old 01-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Biker
Intermediate

Guys, thanks for responding. I evidently got two sets of 4 degree shims. Each bag has the same part #996.512.821.90, "Einstellelement 4 Grad" on the bag, and there is a "L" and a "R" in each bag. I wish I did get a 4 degree and a 8 degree. But it looks like I got two 4s. What is with Chucks new wing shims? I can get that look with my two pairs, but they they don't seat right.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:59 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Biker, you may have them upside down...make sure you have the left shim on the drivers side wing support with the slot to the inside and slide it toward the front...there are 4 dimples in the shim that should fit in the four bumps on the top of the wing support and lock the shim in place...then you lower the wing on the shim and tighten the torx bolts...let me know if this helps...wish I had taken a pic of the shim install....
Old 01-13-2006, 08:29 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
After Eric (BumperPlugs) ...the wing looks very agressive at this angle compared to laying flat on the supports....
I am not sure why you are even doing wing adjustments outside of trackside setting for timing and indexing lap times....what are your goals other than to look "agressive"?

without the above mentioned goal in mind; this is a pure case of "poseur-itis" which I thought not to be part of the GT3 board, but am starting to see more frequently....btw, 4 degrees is siginificant and unless you are going through most turns without slowing at all (which is doubtful), many of your co-GT3 owners with the stock setting will surely pass you in the straights.

enjoy your agressively slower wing setting. (no flame intended, just an observation)
Old 01-14-2006, 01:23 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

leif, the rear wing on the Mark II GT3 is not adjustable as it was on earlier models (although, some people just set them high and tighten the torx, which I think is a safety issue). With no shims and flat on the supports the RS wing actually appears to set at a lower angle than the stock wing, which would surely make it a "poseur(sic)" as you put it. Having the small shims gets it to an effective position and with the front cup splitter the balance is very good (and it looks better which is why I said it looks more agressive). I haven't noticed any increased drag at high speed (laguna seca and buttonwillow) but I haven't been to Thunderhill or big willow since I made the change. High speed stability in Riverside at Buttonwillow and turn 9 at LS was improved, which was what I was looking for. Next time at T-hill I'll take a note of my trap speeds and see if they are down...
Old 01-14-2006, 10:15 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

leif, the rear wing on the Mark II GT3 is not adjustable as it was on earlier models (although, some people just set them high and tighten the torx, which I think is a safety issue). With no shims and flat on the supports the RS wing actually appears to set at a lower angle than the stock wing, which would surely make it a "poseur(sic)" as you put it. Having the small shims gets it to an effective position and with the front cup splitter the balance is very good (and it looks better which is why I said it looks more agressive). I haven't noticed any increased drag at high speed (laguna seca and buttonwillow) but I haven't been to Thunderhill or big willow since I made the change. High speed stability in Riverside at Buttonwillow and turn 9 at LS was improved, which was what I was looking for. Next time at T-hill I'll take a note of my trap speeds and see if they are down...
What type of rubber are you running? what type of instability was occuring at BW and LS? are you using any type of data-logger? They will surely help you index every segment of your laps and even allow you to onlay them onto each other and help you realise where your improvements can be and have been made...sounds to me that you are one phone call from getting a full-on race car....good luck!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:28 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 464 Likes on 312 Posts

Looks nice Chuck.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

With no shims and flat on the supports the RS wing actually appears to set at a lower angle than the stock wing, which would surely make it a "poseur(sic)" as you put it.
Actually, if you carefully examine the RS wing, you will see that it has a much better aerofoil shape than the GT3 wing, and therefore can be run flatter while still yielding the same downforce. I found that running the RS wing flat was about the same as the GT3 wing set up 4 degrees, but with less drag. The RS wing is definitely the hot setup for the track.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4 degree shims CF wing (pics)