Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More 997 GT3 spyshots

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006 | 03:57 AM
Ray G
Pro

Originally Posted by AW
Porsche never officially said anything about this so called 2nd PCCB generation. For all I know, PCCB has not been upgraded. I also know first hand that PCCB is inferior to traditional braking systems [my opinion] from a stopping power point of view (not weight) and that Porsche won't stand behind it in case of failure. So really, I have zero incentive to give it another try.

AW
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but Porsche has made statements about the 2nd gen PCCB. Here is a quote from their web site. I've seen other material at the dealership that illustrates differences, one of which is higher fiber density.

(from www.porsche.com)

A race-proven ceramic brake technology first introduced on the 911 Turbo is now available as an option on all new 911 models. And, like the 911 itself, the latest evolution of our Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB) have been improved for unsurpassed braking power on roadways and raceways alike.

The PCCB brake disc is made from a carbon fiber/ceramic compound that is silicated in a high-vacuum process at over 3,000º Fahrenheit. The result is a disc that is not only much harder than steel, but more resistant to temperature. In short, perfectly suited to the demands of high-performance driving.

To maximize cooling under extreme or prolonged braking, a new cross-drilled PCCB disc design features a modified system of internal vents. With twice the number of cooling channels, the new drill-hole pattern and vent geometry offer a better flow of air through the disc. The addition of more cooling channels derives a second, equally important benefit: additional internal walls that lead to greater structural rigidity.

One thing that has not changed is the impressive thermal dynamics of ceramic brakes. Armed with composite metal linings, they maintain their frictional coefficient regardless of temperature for the ultimate in fade-free stopping power. Bolstered by the latest generation of ABS, the six-piston monobloc aluminum calipers in front and four-piston calipers in back respond with immediacy and smoothness the instant braking pressure is applied. Water-resistant brake linings ensure superior performance in wet and winter conditions as well.

The considerable weight savings of PCCB over cast-iron brakes offers yet another distinct advantage – a significant reduction in both rotating mass and unsprung weight. Which, on the road, translates into better road-holding comfort, increased agility and improved fuel economy. Less is indeed more.
Regarding stopping power - I have to disagree with you on that. After tracking iron rotor'ed 911s, and several ceramic brake cars, I really like the linear feel of the ceramics, and I never felt that they did not have the same stopping power (or better). As for Porsche standing behind them, that may depend on the relationship you have with your dealer's service dept. I feel comfortable that if a big problem came up, the dealer will go to bat for me. But, doing 20 track days in row, and then having a problem may be pushing it!
Old 01-10-2006 | 04:27 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AW
I'm in too. However, a rear bumper cover in CF would be better than the front hood. I prefer a lighter tail.

By the way, if PCCB is standard, I'll cancel my order...

AW
I agree with the sentiment, but I think if PCCB doesn't work well and develops cracks, I'm sure there will be a steel retrofit available close to launch.
Old 01-10-2006 | 12:21 PM
RTP356
Instructor

It is interesting to note the PCCB is not available on 997 Cup cars coming to the US. I was told it was because they are too expensive to run and the factory underwrote the cost for the European series but was not going to for the US.
Old 01-10-2006 | 02:23 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

The real reason they are not coming here on US 997 cup cars is that the buyers of the cars told PAG that if they make them buy the cars with PCCB's they will not buy the cars.

Enough of them told PAG that so PAG caved and sold the car sans PCCBs'. The 997 US Cup cars all have steel brakes.

This is fact.
Old 01-10-2006 | 02:47 PM
LastGT3
Racer

I have 10 days on my iron rotors = approx 3000 miles. So to be economic or even close to economic, I would expect, with a warranty many times that wear to justisfy the huge cost differential. The fact that own US 997 cup cars run iron rotors seals the deal - a complete waste and PAG doesn't back up their claims with $. So, even though they are tempting, it seems more bling than function or reliability.
Old 01-10-2006 | 03:14 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LastGT3
I have 10 days on my iron rotors = approx 3000 miles. So to be economic or even close to economic, I would expect, with a warranty many times that wear to justisfy the huge cost differential. The fact that own US 997 cup cars run iron rotors seals the deal - a complete waste and PAG doesn't back up their claims with $. So, even though they are tempting, it seems more bling than function or reliability.
It's one thing for PCCB to offer better life and performance than iron, it's a much stronger condition that it offers the same cost per mile. A 997 GT3 is going to be a stretch for me so I need the latter.
Old 01-10-2006 | 03:41 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

OK...

Cosmos, Harvey, Tom Tom, ltc etc.

997 GT3 Engine will be true dry sump engine.

And it's not about whether it's 3.6, 3.8 or whatever, we're talking about dry sump which means we are basically only talking about the crankcase.

Aaaaand:

Crankcase of 997 GT3 (and GT2, TT) is (in priciple) the same as 964 crankcase (it's actually evolution from 996 GT3 crankcase but as you know, that's from 964 crankcase) which means the 997 GT engine will be true dry sump engine.

Cosmos,

How are you planning on eating your words? How about a hat instead? You can have it with ketchup.

Crankcase of 997 GT3 is (in priciple) the same as 964 crankcase which means the 997 GT engine is true dry sump engine
Crankcase of 997 GT3 is (in priciple) the same as 964 crankcase which means the 997 GT engine is true dry sump engine
Crankcase of 997 GT3 is (in priciple) the same as 964 crankcase which means the 997 GT engine is true dry sump engine...

Until next time...
Old 01-10-2006 | 03:53 PM
AW
Pro

Originally Posted by Ray G
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but Porsche has made statements about the 2nd gen PCCB.
Point well taken. I missed this.

However, let's agree to disagree on our PCCB experience. My GT2 brake have always felt inferior to my 996TT steel brakes. And I'm talking about street driving here.

AW
Old 01-10-2006 | 05:17 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

I wouldn't buy it unless it has engine derived from a race proven and winning engine, which up to this point means the 964/GT1 engine. But since I know that it will have this then it becomes a mute point.
Old 01-10-2006 | 05:22 PM
JTW
Instructor

Another queston to ask would be: If the 997 GT3 does not use the GT1 engine would you still buy it?
Nope.
Old 01-10-2006 | 05:45 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AW
Point well taken. I missed this.

However, let's agree to disagree on our PCCB experience. My GT2 brake have always felt inferior to my 996TT steel brakes. And I'm talking about street driving here.

AW
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=PCCB+997+cup

Look at it especially post #7!

Last edited by MJSpeed; 01-10-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2006 | 06:22 PM
AW
Pro

Well, I'm glad Konstantin and most of you guys enjoy PCCB. But it does little to change my first hand opinion. It is not fun to drive a car with brakes that don't grab when it is wet. Or that grab less when getting a bit hot in mountain driving. If Porsche had acknowledged the issue and offer a fix, I would be ready to try again, but this did not happen.

Then there are on track failures. I know of at least 4 first hand.

I truly hope that PCCB will be an option.

AW
Old 01-10-2006 | 08:28 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AW
I truly hope that PCCB will be an option.

AW
I actually agree with this comment.

Actually Konstantin's feedback was on the 997 Cup car which he ran in the supercup series.

If they're (Porsche and the teams) using it on the race cars, it leads me to believe that they've improved to the point that I would strongly consider them.

After all they're going to subject them to more extreme conditions than I could doing DE's. If they hold up well in the Porsche Supercup series, which according to the feedback it looks like they have, than I believe they will hold up well in DE's.

I'm not trying to change your mind just trying to give you more information than previously had on the topic.

You'll order yours however you like it and I will do the same, of course I'll be smiling when I pass you under braking .

BTW I do believe it should be an option after all the more choices the better.
Old 01-10-2006 | 08:30 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Does anybody know if Ferrari had similar issues with their Ceramic Brakes, like Porsche had with their Gen I PCCB's?
Old 01-10-2006 | 11:38 PM
RTP356
Instructor

Originally Posted by cosmos
The real reason they are not coming here on US 997 cup cars is that the buyers of the cars told PAG that if they make them buy the cars with PCCB's they will not buy the cars.

Enough of them told PAG that so PAG caved and sold the car sans PCCBs'. The 997 US Cup cars all have steel brakes.

This is fact.
My comments were paraphrasing what we were told in a meeting of GT3 Challenge drivers with the PCNA / IMSA officials. PCNA claimed they requested the change because of a concern of cost.
Just the facts.

Quick Reply: More 997 GT3 spyshots