Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Lemon Law

Old 12-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Carmelo Locurto
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Lemon Law

Been holding off from posting my warranty story, will go with shortest version I can. My 04 GT3 is at dealer for 3rd time for same problem. I had an atty. send reg. letter for final repair attempt(re:lemon law). They started today to change engine wire harness, the car blows DME fuse. Car has spent a total of 67 days there(between 3 visits). Lot more details to story of course, again this is short version. Any thoughts, any body here of this on any 996?
Old 12-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Roscoe
Instructor

who is doing the work? I am a boston area GT3 owner too.....
Old 12-14-2005, 03:54 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

First time but did you post it in the 996 or 997 forums? Have you searched the archives for similar stories? I'll let you know if I find something.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:09 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You may wish to review the lemon laws for Massachusetts.

Lemon Laws

The laws may have recently changed, but in Texas they get 3 chances to repair an item... 2 chances if it's a major safety item.

IMO, blowing the DME fuse is a safety item. However, it is my understanding that "electronics" are not covered.

So, I wonder how they will interpret your case. Do you have PCNA involved or aware of your situation? They may be able to help you even out the monies if your car is deemed a lemon.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Carmelo Locurto
Advanced

PCNA is involved, they not dealer are ones who decided to change wire harness. I did not post 996 board, but did a few diff. searchs re: wire harness/warranty. on all forums. Very disapointed how Porsche is handling whole thing. Dealers tech wanted to drop eng. to ck. harness in first place-district service manager wouldn't ok it. I also got no loaner, dealer wanted to rent me a car-but PCNA would not ok that. Now wonder if harness doesn't show any physical signs of causing short are they gonna expect me to take car anyway? Last time fuse blew it left me on top of a bridge & Porsche Roadside left me there 3 hours!!
Old 12-14-2005, 08:38 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Even if your wiring harness looks fine, it looks like PCNA is having it replaced anyway, especially after going through all this trouble.

I can't see them expecting you to take your car back with the malfunction still occuring. After the repair, you'll probably be the guinea pig and have to drive the car to prove to them and to yourself that the problem has been fixed.

Regarding the extended rental, do you have a provision for covering this through your auto insurance?

Cheers
Old 12-14-2005, 11:59 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Porsche warranty is a little relaxed... no rental cars... it's up to the dealer to pay for it..

Question I had for Porsche NA.. Do you supply rentals?

In Porsche NA words ...Yes we strongly advise the dealer to pay for it.. out of pocket.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:22 AM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Carmelo
Wow, sounds like you bought a BMW 745 with a GT3 insignia on the back.

Seriously, sounds like something is wrong with one of the control units, can you provide us with any fault codes or post any of the dealer's findings here?

Austin

DEVEK
Old 12-15-2005, 12:28 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A GT3 a lemon ??? with only 8 TSB's since the mk2 intro....Sounds like a bad/incompetant service staff at ze dealer. This car is the best !
Old 12-15-2005, 12:35 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Might try another dealer.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:46 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm with 'Rockitman', these cars are good. Porsche AG should do a troubleshooting teleconference and put some brain power on this fault.

I do know of one Lemon Law GT3. That situation could have been avoided if the mechanics/dealership had done better troubleshooting. As it was they made an honest attempt at correcting the fault, then the car left the owner stranded again. Tempers flaired, other repair attempts were made, and then three strikes took over. When it was all done the factory fault was corrected, the dealer had to buy the GT3 back, and the car went bye bye, under the Lemon Law. What a waste!
Old 12-15-2005, 12:12 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z06
Porsche warranty is a little relaxed... no rental cars... it's up to the dealer to pay for it..

Question I had for Porsche NA.. Do you supply rentals?

In Porsche NA words ...Yes we strongly advise the dealer to pay for it.. out of pocket.
I was thinking the same thing... if the dealer values his business, they should step up and cover the el cheapo rental... assuming he purchased the car from said dealer.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:46 AM
Carmelo Locurto
Advanced

RE: rental I did'nt buy car there, but it was first place I left deposit for GT3, they ordered there first allocation pimped out sticker almost $140K.! Anyways engine harness is going in now, again dealer wanted to drop engine to ck. it on second visit porsche rep. wouldn't authorize it, now that they have letter from atty. that is what he wants for his "final attempt" under lemon law. Dealer has been pretty good to me so far, really would have been thrilled w/porsche loaner-but they just did not feel I deserved one-mostly cause I did not wait & buy from them. If there is something that shows up in harness, still gonna feel uneasy in car, stuck on that bridge was probaly worst breakdown I ever was involved in.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:53 AM
Carmelo Locurto
Advanced

Oh, almost forgot, there are NO trouble codes-at all- all 3 times! The car shuts off, like some one turned key to off, in dash says "Engine Failure" w/pic if an eng. then when you turn key it won't crank change DME fuse-it starts back up! Luckily it did it to tech in service bay once so they know I'm not making whole thing up.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:58 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I understand you frustration, electrical / electronic problems can be very hard to solve. The dealerships get reimbursed from Porsche AG according to warranty rules; so many hours for task such and such. When they exceed that allowance it costs the dealer money not Porsche AG.

Another Rennlist person had a DME fuze blow recently but I can't remember all the details. You may want to do a search, "fuze" on this forum.

Years ago, I spent six hours helping a Porsche mechanic find an electrical fault in my new car. At first I think he had an attitude about rich guys and their toys, but once he saw how interested I was in my car he was really motivated to fix it. (Solution, one ground wire plastic connector was not snapped closed, hence intermittent loss of power to some items in the car)

Hang in there the car is worth it !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 Lemon Law