GT2 and GT3 Engine and Suspension Specs

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Z06 convert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT2 and GT3 Engine and Suspension Specs

Hi Gang!

I'm looking at selling my 996TT. I do a fair amount of Auto-X events and want a lighter car with adjustable suspension and rear wheel drive etc. Does anyone know where I can look up the different supension specs for GT2 and GT3. I'm looking for items such as weight, gearing, spring rates, size of sway bar. Max Rim width, offsets, Max tire sizes that will clear.

I'd like to see torque curves for stock engines and ECU,exhaust and intake modded engines if anyone can point me in the right direction. Also, similar info on the new GT3 torque curves and weight etc.

I feel the GT2 is probably a better Auto-X car due to the low-end torque but the GT3's are a little less money and how many GT2's do you run into at an auto-X event. (besides James in Sand Diego)

Thanks for any help! Steve - Auto-X "Junkie"
Old 12-04-2005, 04:56 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Neither one is a good autocross car due to weight and weight distribution. I don't think a turbocharged engine can beat an equally powered normally aspirated engine (at sea level) either.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:36 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GT3 with moton's and lwfw do well up here in both SCCA and Poursche club events. We have about 5 cars that compete often. 2004 took 4 and 6 in KS.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:17 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

The Gt3 was just taken off the "Stock Exclusion List" for SS in SCCA earlier in the year and the proposal for that to happen was just dropped, meaning that they will compete is SS class for "06.
Based on the Nationals results and with a properly sorted out car and driver this may make the class interesting. The SS class has been Vette dominated for too long. Maybe the winds of change are blowing in a favorable direction... With the right car, PCCBs, lightweight wheels, Moutons(or better), light exhaust, proper alignment and the right driver who knows... My poor E30 M3 was supposed to be a terrible slalom car but it worked well for me and my GT3 came close to FTD with only PS2's earlier this year in a regional event. Food for thought...
Old 12-04-2005, 10:27 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

Neither one is a good autocross car due to weight and weight distribution. I don't think a turbocharged engine can beat an equally powered normally aspirated engine (at sea level) either.

I beg to differ J. Gunn in the GT2 won both the Pro Solo and Tour in the GT2 The new Boost rules for SP will make the Turbo an even faster ride. I would also think a 996TT with the X50 option would also make an excellent ASP car especially in Pro Solo. Ian Stewart came in 2nd in the Tour in Topeka with my GT3 behind Erik Strelnieks and we will be going all out in the Pro and Tour in 2006.

Peter

Last edited by 85Gold; 12-04-2005 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

I would have thought the GT2 & 3 is a bit waste of refined machinery engineered for real track use.

Ciao,

Johannes E.

GT3CS
Old 12-04-2005, 11:25 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

I would have thought the GT2 & 3 is a bit waste of refined machinery engineered for real track use.

Ciao,

Johannes E.

GT3CS

Different strokes for different folks

Peter
Old 12-04-2005, 11:38 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

85Gold, you missed my point. I'm not talking about performance within a class, I'm looking at overall performance relevant to the sport of autocrossing.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Z06 convert
Instructor

Here is my point of prespective and why I'm looking at the spec's. (Actually NJ posted a lot of the info for the GT3 and I have seen some info on the GT2 posted - Thanks)

The GT2 that was well driven and prepared won about every event entered in SCCA Solo II and Pro Solo events this year in the A-Street Prepared class including Nationals in Topeka. It weights about 3,100 #'s which is about the same as the Corvette, its rival in the class. I don't think the new C6 Z06 will be up to speed until someone does a lot of testing and suspension work.

The GT3's in SS didn't fair as well. (Correction - OPP's didn't realize the GT3 finished second) Maybe with another year of tuning and more entrants. The 997 GT3 may be a cifferent story.

I'm trying to balance between a car the can run PCA and SCCA and be competative in both there respective classes. I think the GT2 has the upper hand on an Auto-X course. I've only been beat once by a GT3 with my 996TT. However, most GT3 drivers have do not have 20 plus events events per year seat time. I'm sure a good driver in a well prepared GT3 would take the 996TT.

Anyway, thanks for the imput.

Have Fun! Steve
Old 12-05-2005, 01:13 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't driven a GT2 yet (I'm affraid I will trade in my car if I do that), but I've driven the X50TT and the GT3 in auto-x. The GT2 and X50TT use the same Turbos. In auto-x when they're below 3,500rpm there is practically no torque compared to the GT3. However, pass the 3,500rpm and there is plenty of power to compensate for the lack of initial engine response.

The GT3 suffers from a long 2nd gear. The engine on the GT3 likes to be runnning above 6,400rpm, that's 65mph in 2nd gear. Auto-X typical speeds are in the 35mph-65mph range, so the car will be always below the powerband. The X50 and GT2 put down much more power.

In my opinion a GT2 is a much faster autocross car than a GT3 stock for stock. With modifications, the GT2 will just increase the lead. Every suspension improvement in the GT3 can be done to the GT2.

911 are great platforms for autocross. The weight distribution on the GT3 is 38/62, the Lotus Elise 40/60, the Boxster 46/54. So, weight distribution is not as bad as the older 911.

Regarding 2005 SCCA Nationals. The modified GT2 that won the class was a Solo driver and it got a huge lead on day 1 due to rain conditions. On day 2 everybody on ASP was on the same conditions, the GT2 was behind the pace of the fastest ASP car by 1.3 seconds (a Z06). On the same course, Peter's stock GT3 was 0.2 seconds faster than the modified GT2. Anyway, Ian and James did great for Porsche at Nationals.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Z06 convert
Instructor

"Regarding 2005 SCCA Nationals. The modified GT2 that won the class was a Solo driver and it got a huge lead on day 1 due to rain conditions. On day 2 everybody on ASP was on the same conditions, the GT2 was behind the pace of the fastest ASP car by 1.3 seconds (a Z06). On the same course, Peter's stock GT3 was 0.2 seconds faster than the modified GT2. Anyway, Ian and James did great for Porsche at Nationals."

I agree with you regarding the GT3 gearing. Imagine how the GT3 would do in SS if second toped at say 65 or 70. The expected "top" dogs in ASP Danny Popp and Tom Berry both ran in VERY wet conditions. I don't think James was exactly pushing GT2 on Day 2. After his first run the first day he was way ahead and just smiling. He is very good but HEY why not be lucky and good

What is really fun is watching the James launch the GT2 at the ProSolo's. A little tough on the drive train but the Z06 gets walked on pretty bad.

Anyway it was a fun year watching James and my co-driver go head to head here on the West Coast.

Have Fun! Steve
Old 12-05-2005, 11:53 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Steve, NJGT

I have a feeling J. Gunn was taking it safe on the 2nd day in the Tour. I really thought about getting a GT2 for ASP as I feel it will be unbeatable in 2006 with the new rules, not with me driving, but decided to give the GT3 another year with Ian and myself of course. I feel Ian could have won if I had encouraged him to go all out, as nobody remembers who finished 2nd and he already had a 2nd in SM2 last year. Then again if Jr. hadn't coned his 3rd run on Tuesday it could have been another story. Looking forward to seeing you in 2006 and maybe NJGT at the DC Pro SOLO.

Ft Myers Tour
Miami Pro ??
Mineral Wells Pro
Arkansas Pro
Peru Tour ??
Peru Pro
DC Pro

Peter
Old 12-05-2005, 01:23 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

This may come out wrong so please don't take this wrong.... i can not belive that anyone would even consider purchasing a gt3 or gt2 for use in autocross events .... it is a truly sad way to use a stallion of a vehicle... a M3 a miata an evo etc.... i just couldn't imagine them using "Man o war" or " Seretariat" in a county fair for pony rides... i have only done a few ax but a 944 would be nice or a early 911. but a gt3 or a gt2 i dont see it... would u even leave second gear on most courses?

i know i sound a little elitist ... but i think they are more deserving for the track.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:39 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

930Man, I understand your point. It was my same feeling 4 years ago. 4 years ago I only had track experience and drag racing experience. I couldn't believe people could have fun driving in 2nd gear.

I strongly recommend to non-advanced racetrack drivers, to take their cars to autocrosses. Autocrosses are safe environments to push the limits on any car. You learn to drive your car at 10th/10th. Everything happens quicker, your reaction and reflexes are trained, you get to know your car at the limits. You can't exercise those limits at the track safely. With autocross experience, and basic track education, you can be a safer driver at the track.

Personally, I enjoy both auto-x and track events. At the track I enjoy the car a lot (Time Trials and DE), but it isn't racing, so I enjoy the overall auto-x experience much more, especially when driving against the best auto-x drivers in the country. Unless you're racing on a Pro-Series, you don't get to drive against the best track drivers in the country.

I might take a step up in PCA Club Racing, but personally I won't get there until I feel capable to get on the podium on a competitive environment, and before getting there, I have to feel capable to get on the podium on the lower level categories (TT and auto-x).
Old 12-05-2005, 04:13 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

point well taken...and very well said ...makes me think about

Quick Reply: GT2 and GT3 Engine and Suspension Specs