Sponsored by:

Trailer Tie-Down Method

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 09:36 PM
stevewashburn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Tie-Down Method

Just purchased a Trailex trailer and was wondering what the best tie-down method and hardware is.

Shock Doctor
'04 GT3 Blk/Blk
Old 11-13-2005, 09:41 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

I have the AutoMetrics tie-down hooks, front and rear.
http://www.autometricsmotorsports.co...s%20&%20Misc.:
http://www.autometricsmotorsports.co...96tiedowns.jpg
Old 11-14-2005, 02:01 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I tie-down by the wheel/tires which allows the car to ride on its suspension.

You have some choices with this method. You can use a nylon axle strap. Pass the strap through the wheel spokes and over the rim, then secure the tie down ratchet hook to the axle strap ends. Protect the wheel's finish with a thick soft cloth placed between the wheel rim and the axle strap. Axle straps are made in different lengths and you will need the 33" long ones as the GT3 tires are so wide. You can also use a nylon Tire Bonnet assembly that goes over the top and top sides of the tire and attachs straight down to the trailer floor. With sports cars it is often harder to get the Tire Bonnet on the tire due the limited access in the wheel well.

www.racerwholesale.com

The Porsche AG race cars normally come with wheel center hook pieces for transport. This hook goes on the wheel center and is secured by the one single center wheel nut. In the tight confines of an enclosed tranporter one can easily attach the tie-down ratchet to the wheel hook and then to the transporter.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Hey you GT3 track junkies, this come out of nowhere, Shock Doctor knows a thing or
two about directing his GT3 around the track, quite the "quick study".
Cheers Steve!,

Marty K
Old 11-14-2005, 08:50 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Let me comment on both systems. After a trailer hitch failure where the trailer came uncoupled from the tow vehicle sending my trailer into a 180 on the freeway, I got to experience first had the importance of good hold down equipment. I was using Simpson turn buckels rated at 3500 lbs per set and one on each wheel and tire. The 3300 lb car stayed on the trailer with only one of the nylon straps breaking. The centrifical force is staggering as it snapped the saftey chains like they were string. The electric break away device slowed the trailer down and the only damage was four bent BBS race wheels. I put the straps through the wheel spokes and obviously this worked like it should have but I think I was lucky.

I have since gone to the autometrics hold downs. I think its easier and safer since the length of nylon straps is much shorter and its tied to the frame and chassis of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Trailer Tie-Down Method