Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventative maintenance on a GT3 track car

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005 | 12:10 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Default Preventative maintenance on a GT3 track car

The car has approx. 11k track miles this year and I would like to avoid problems at future events. The car has not failed me yet but I feel that something has to give. Have changed all fluids many times, brakes, rotors and tires but, that's about it. Mechanic said my sway bar bushings are loose but that's all. Should I consider changing wheel bearings or possibly be changing suspension parts? Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 11-06-2005 | 02:15 PM
GT3 Rob
Advanced

11k track miles, this year..??!!

How many track days is that.. must equate to at least 5 per month, every month of the year.?

I'm impressed.
Old 11-06-2005 | 05:15 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Ya I know, A little excessive I guess. I've given up trying to count # of days, I just look at the odometer. A little over 17k km. Have done 7 days of track in a week once and several times have done 5 or 6. It's all kind of a blur.
I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow before heading off to VIR. Just wondering if anybody had any suggestions.
Old 11-06-2005 | 05:42 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Have done 7 days of track in a week once and several times have done 5 or 6. It's all kind of a blur.
Old 11-06-2005 | 07:20 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

I dunno if I'm more impressed by the car surviving 7 days on the trot, or you for doing it. I bought my GT3 RS because my Noble needed constant fettling. Stories like this just confirm my decision.
Old 11-06-2005 | 08:10 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

15 k track miles on my 2004 GT3. Brake pads(PCCB), oil changes, and aliments that is it for me.
Old 11-06-2005 | 08:26 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Roberga, that's great to hear. You haven't changed wheel bearings or any bushings or suspension parts. I have a feeling ( mechanic suggested as well ) that there may be some play. My mufflers sound like a set of marracas, they're toast. Cats too I think.
Old 11-06-2005 | 08:35 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

I will be doing Moton's and springs this winter. Exhaust is great. I do run bypass often.
Old 11-06-2005 | 08:56 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike K.
Roberga, that's great to hear. You haven't changed wheel bearings or any bushings or suspension parts. I have a feeling ( mechanic suggested as well ) that there may be some play. My mufflers sound like a set of marracas, they're toast. Cats too I think.
do the wheel bearings before VIR. cheap maintenance...... and change all fluids and bleed brakes.
also, if you want the car working really well,fiorano has a set of revalved and refreshed stock shocks and they will make a big difference to your car.
Old 11-06-2005 | 11:28 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Question

I too have about 12k track miles on a car that has 19k miles overall.

I re-did my shocks as well. I did not relize how far blown they were.

PNA replaced my Diff as that was blown too. But I think that went early on.

I have asked and no one can tell me what to do.

I did a leak down and compression test as well as scope the engine and my Mechanic said it looked new and that the compression was the best of any car he as ever seen. Almost no varience between cylinders.

I also replaced the rear arms with cup ones and the rubber bushings with metal for the arms as well. This just helps with setting the toe and makes for easier adjustments.

I was thinking that since I track so much, that I should run maybe the RS spark plug, any thoughts on that one??

My wheel bearings seem fine so far. Should I just replace them anyway??

So I will ask the question too. What else should I fix, or look at fixing or replacing.

I am more worried about the rubber on the car. What about any rubber up front, how are the tops of the struts or front control arms??

Thanks,
Old 11-06-2005 | 11:32 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by cosmos
I too have about 12k track miles on a car that has 19k miles overall.

I re-did my shocks as well. I did not relize how far blown they were.

PNA replaced my Diff as that was blown too. But I think that went early on.

I have asked and no one can tell me what to do.

I did a leak down and compression test as well as scope the engine and my Mechanic said it looked new and that the compression was the best of any car he as ever seen. Almost no varience between cylinders.

I also replaced the rear arms with cup ones and the rubber bushings with metal for the arms as well. This just helps with setting the toe and makes for easier adjustments.

I was thinking that since I track so much, that I should run maybe the RS spark plug, any thoughts on that one??

My wheel bearings seem fine so far. Should I just replace them anyway??

So I will ask the question too. What else should I fix, or look at fixing or replacing.

I am more worried about the rubber on the car. What about any rubber up front, how are the tops of the struts or front control arms??

Thanks,
i would do the wheel bearings. i had one go and before we knew about it the hub was ruined too
Old 11-06-2005 | 11:35 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Ok, replace all four??

How many hours of labor and how about price?
Old 11-07-2005 | 02:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

i replaced both my front bearings as they were very noisy.
dealer did it under warranty for free. yes they knew i tracked the car and didn't care.
Old 11-07-2005 | 04:51 AM
GT3 Rob
Advanced

Originally Posted by mooty
i replaced both my front bearings as they were very noisy.
...dealer did it under warranty for free. yes they knew i tracked the car and didn't care.
Good point.
Dealer should be obligated to replace non-consumables, under warranty.!

I would be very upset if OPC in UK, charged me for any non-consumable item on the RS, because of trackwork..

These cars are sold purely on their track ability, and road car rules should not apply, re-warranty.

Rob
Old 11-07-2005 | 09:07 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cosmos
Ok, replace all four??

How many hours of labor and how about price?
If you do the job by the Porsche manual, you have to remove the uprights (F&R) and heat them in an oven at around 300 degrees. This way you can slip out the old bearing (the aluminum expands more than the bearing) and slip in the new one. To do this pretty much the complete removal of all the suspension, and an alignment when done. Total job time around 20 or so book hours. If you press the bearing out on the car and press the new ones in, you are talking about 5-6 hours and no alignment needed when complete. Problem is that the bearing does scar the aluminum slightly when it is pressed in and out. Not really an issue unless you do it ALOT of times. This is not an approved Porsche method, but is done by 95% of the shops and DIY folks. There is a simple tool sold by folks like EBS for about $125 that makes this a breeze.

Quick Reply: Preventative maintenance on a GT3 track car