Sponsored by:

Best tie down points?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 06:25 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyN
Well I'm not sure that we are all wrong, but you do have a valid alternative suggestion<g>. What's a kinedyne strap and where do you get it ?
www.kinedyne.com find a retailer near you. you must buy the one with hooks that fit into the holes under car. they will not move under any circumstances even in an accident. they are rated for 7000 pounds each and under tension they will not fall out.
i used them in a 24 ft enclosed trailer all the time so its no issue
Old 11-04-2005, 10:51 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

We are not wrong! Several ways to do this. I guess you think Porsche AG is wrong for using the wheel stub axle with purpose built, center lock tie down hook for the 993 and 996 race cars .
Old 11-05-2005, 02:32 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,001 Likes on 557 Posts
Default I'm trying to figure out what is needed to get the RR to work.

Same problem and fixed it by doing two things.

One was attaching a small "link" to the tie down and extending a bit.

The second fix is to bend the tie down itself down a bit, that also took the tie down further away from the oil return.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:04 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

10 years after this thread was started, any updates or new methods? Links are appreciated. Especially for changes related to the 991?
Old 02-25-2016, 09:15 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

I've been using Rennline tie down mounts on several cars. Rennline

They are hard, secure mounts. Easy to install and secure. They don't hang down so there are no clearance issues. Very easy to tie down. Very strong too.

I don't using wheel straps - just IMHO, but it puts load on the alignment. The Rennline ones are easier to use too. Reach under, hook and you are done.

I would not use the front jack points. Some do, but indeed attaching there depends on continued load to stay attached. Stretch the strap, have it slip - whatever and it is gone. I've seen a car back off a trailer on the highway because of this.

Originally Posted by Randyc151
10 years after this thread was started, any updates or new methods? Links are appreciated. Especially for changes related to the 991?
Old 03-03-2016, 10:55 AM
iamtheari
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I've been using Rennline tie down mounts on several cars. Rennline

They are hard, secure mounts. Easy to install and secure. They don't hang down so there are no clearance issues. Very easy to tie down. Very strong too.
I also put these on my 996GT3 and use ratchet straps with a snap hook to latch onto the tiedown points both on the car and on the trailer. No concerns about the hooks bouncing off the tiedowns, no concerns about putting a load against my car's expensive alignment, etc.

Where exactly did you mount the rear tiedowns on your car? Did you replace the factory bolts with something longer to make up for the thickness of the tiedown?
Old 03-03-2016, 11:09 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

With the rennline tie downs, specifically the front are you guys having any interference issues with the straps and the front splitter or is that a non issue?

I like the idea of these on the rear. The idea of moving the ratchet points on the front inward makes me worry about clearance issues with my straps.

I used wheel straps last year without issue, revisiting the whole setup this year so welcome any feedback on these tie downs. Pictures of cars strapped down with the rennline mounts (front) would be really helpful.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:24 AM
iamtheari
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is missing the front lip. I haven't ponied up for shipping costs to get a new one. I cross the front straps to the front in-deck tie-down points on an Aluma tilt-bed trailer and it seems there is plenty of clearance. I don't load the car up often enough to remember how much, though.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:03 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would avoid crossing straps diagonally. Doing so causes two problems -- it loads the car laterally if one strap lets go, which would tend to skew the car on the trailer, and it reduces the effectiveness of the strap in the most important direction, which is axially, or fore-and-aft. If you have an "event," it's likely that it will apply forces in the fore-and-aft direction -- say, from hard braking or a collision to the front or rear. Under those circumstances, you want your maximum tie down strength to be aligned with those forces.

Last edited by Rob S; 03-04-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:21 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I use Mac's tie down ratchet straps through the wheels. They have a soft cloth on the straps. I have used them for years on my Featherlite trailer with no issues. Maybe next year I will replace the straps with the current version because they are finally showing wear signs.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
Use wheel straps that go through the spokes and then hook them to a ratchet type strap which hooks to the floor hooks fo the trailer.
I have been told that tying down this way, to the outer edge of the wheel, can affect the alignment. The Automatics don't sound quite foolproof..I'll check out Dougherty.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:19 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I have been told that tying down this way, to the outer edge of the wheel, can affect the alignment. The Automatics don't sound quite foolproof..I'll check out Dougherty.
I've been tying down through the spokes for 6 years. (2 and 6 hour trailering runs)
Never had an issue with alignment or keeping the car planted during transport.
if you don't go crazy on ratcheting the crap out of the straps, you'll be good.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:43 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

wow. Thread started in 2005, resurrected in 2016, and now in 2017.

Go with Rennline. 45deg for 996
http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Tie...oductinfo/E04/
Attached Images    
Old 07-23-2017, 03:24 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by DHI
I've been tying down through the spokes for 6 years. (2 and 6 hour trailering runs) Never had an issue with alignment or keeping the car planted during transport.if you don't go crazy on ratcheting the crap out of the straps, you'll be good.
I am going to do it this way, through the spokes, don't have the luxury of time to shop around for the right tie downs. I am picking the car up on 24 July 17
Old 07-31-2017, 09:25 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

The Rennline tie down/jack plates are the way to go. After many bad experiences with tire straps and long trips we decided to put them on all of our cars. They also make it easier to jack the car so you're not guessing where to put the jack.

We keep them in stock: https://rennpart.com/product/rennlin...set-frontrear/

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook

Quick Reply: Best tie down points?