Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum-103/)
-   -   Best tie down points? (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/235957-best-tie-down-points.html)

street 11-02-2005 01:06 AM

Best tie down points?

I'm ordering a trailer and am considering tie downs for the floor. How do you tie down your car? Where do you attach the tie down straps?

mds 11-02-2005 01:18 AM

Autometrics and Dougherty Automotive sells tiedown hooks for both the front and the rear of the car. They attach using existing bolts. The rears work fine, the fronts tend to scrape occasionally on bumpy roads. A possible alternative for the fronts might be to hook the straps into the existing openings on the rear sides of the front jack points. I'm not sure how strong the jack points are to side loads however, so I'm not sure this is a good idea.

GT3 Nut 11-02-2005 01:41 AM

Use wheel straps that go through the spokes and then hook them to a ratchet type strap which hooks to the floor hooks fo the trailer.

RS Patrik 11-02-2005 04:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is how I tie down my GT3 RS. Work perfect, and no wear on the rims

jim911 11-02-2005 09:17 AM

Using tow hook may not be strong enough, especialy if you have a sudden stop. I've been using the Autometrics hooks for two years, clearance is fine and easy to hook up. Please, don't count on your tow hook.

viperbob 11-02-2005 09:30 AM

The Autometrics ones work fine. What you need to do is bend the fronts at aboout a 45 degree angle to the side (i usually do toward the middle of the car which is easier for cross strapping) to keep them from scraping.

930man 11-02-2005 10:35 AM

anyone have links to either wheel tie downs or autometrics?

TonyN 11-02-2005 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by viperbob
The Autometrics ones work fine. What you need to do is bend the fronts at aboout a 45 degree angle to the side (i usually do toward the middle of the car which is easier for cross strapping) to keep them from scraping.

I just put the Autometrics tie downs on my gt3. The fronts do scrape(bottom out) over road bumps or ramps but work well on the trailer. One of the rears don't work so well. The rear driver side(LR) works without problems but the rear passenger one(RR) is too close to an engine oil line and may damage that oil line, so I don't use it. I don't want to arrive and find a pool of oil on the floor. Instead I wrap a strap around the aluminum frame that the rear SB attaches to. Since the LR takes most of the tie-down load, it should work. I'm trying to figure out what is needed to get the RR to work.

TonyW 11-02-2005 01:49 PM

I only ever tie down the wheels, the chassis will bounce on the suspension. Straps around the back of the wheel with the short piece across the front. Solid.

enthusiast 11-03-2005 12:14 AM

I also tie down with the wheels, then the car rides on its suspension. Use soft cloth between wheel surfaces and tie down strap to protect the wheel's finish. Or, as shown in the RS photo, get a strap that goes around part of the tire.

Larry Herman 11-03-2005 12:41 AM

I like to use silk ties & scarves to gently tie to each corner of the bed posts......
oh,
you were talking about tying down a car weren't you.
nevermind.

NOBLEGT3 11-03-2005 11:43 AM

you are all wrong..where the jack points under the car sit behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels there are holes to put hooks from kinedyne straps in. cross them under the car and the car will not move. tying to chassis is best. i trailered my GT3 all over eastern canada and US and the car didnt budge an inch ,even over huge bumps. I learned this from Fiorano, its how they tie down the cup cars

mds 11-03-2005 01:12 PM

The hole in the rear's doesn't have a big lip, I'm concerned that hook might fall out in an accident due to strap stretch. Also, as I mentioned, its not clear how strong these jack points are to side loads.

TonyN 11-03-2005 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
you are all wrong..where the jack points under the car sit behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels there are holes to put hooks from kinedyne straps in. cross them under the car and the car will not move. tying to chassis is best. i trailered my GT3 all over eastern canada and US and the car didnt budge an inch ,even over huge bumps. I learned this from Fiorano, its how they tie down the cup cars

Well I'm not sure that we are all wrong, but you do have a valid alternative suggestion<g>. What's a kinedyne strap and where do you get it ?

Boulder GT3 11-03-2005 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by mds
The hole in the rear's doesn't have a big lip, I'm concerned that hook might fall out in an accident due to strap stretch. Also, as I mentioned, its not clear how strong these jack points are to side loads.

\

That is the concern I have about using the jack points as well. This is also going to be very difficult to work with if the car is in an enclosed trailer. Never use the tow hook to tie down with. I saw one bent really badly from being used as a tie down point.

I've trailered quite a bit and I tie to the wheel. I used to use the webbing that goes over the tire but now I use axle straps through the rim with a towell as padding. The webbing is cool but it's a little harder to work with in an enclosed trailer too. Car in neutral, parking brake on and straps snug but not cranked down too hard. Check them after 20 miles.