Sponsored by:

RS-19 the way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 10:02 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS-19 the way to go?

Hi all, I've searched the board, and it seems like the general recommendation for replacement pads is the Pagid Rs-19. I'm just about through with my second set of stock rotors and pads. The rotors still have some life (i.e. the cracks have not yet joined up multiple holes yet), but the pads are gone. Regarding this, I have a few questions that I hope you guys will be able to answer:

1) I do 1-2 DE weekends per month, but I also drive the car daily. I have felt perfectly fine with the stock pads on the track (I do use Motul RBF600), but the obvious problem is the cracking of the rotors. Would changing to the RS-19s, or any other pad for that matter, yield longer rotor life than the stock pads?

2) Are the RS-19s fine to drive on the street for the days that I'm not tracking? Do they take longer to heat up on the street?

3) Do the RS-19s come with the slot for the pad sensors, or do you have to drill one?

4) Since my rotors still have some life left, I'd like to use those for a while longer. I gather that I'll need to bevel the edges of the pads. Do all 4 edges need to be beveled (the 2 short edges and the 2 long edges), or just the short or just the long edges?

5) Is it recommended to change the rears to the RS-19 as well?

5) Is it worth it to change to the RS-19, or should I just stay with the stock pads?

Thanks guys--

Geoff.
Guards GT3
Old 10-25-2005, 12:00 PM
g3tcs
Advanced

1. Whilst the RS19 is meant to be kind to discs they are more aggressive than your stock pads. As you will not be 'on the edge' on the street, you will see little difference but on track you will be more agressive and thus will probably show more wear.

2. Mine have been fine, occasionaly squeals....

3. You have to drill a hole for the sensor BUT the thinner the pad the less effective is the whole assembly at dissipating heat. If you track the car with less than a good third of pad then your brakes will heat up and your discs are more likely to crack.

4. bevel all round. (only needs a touch off)

5. RS 19's (which have been replaced by the near identical RS 29 btw) are ok - not perfect but ok - with your stock rears.

5 again... If you are happy with the stock pads then just keep going as you are... just watch the thickness. You can always keep your more worn pads for street and swap for nice fat new ones for your track work..... only a few minutes per side to swap about.

Nice colour btw.......

Last edited by g3tcs; 10-25-2005 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-25-2005, 03:29 PM
mds
Pro

1) In my experience, rotors will crack with RS-19's. Don't expect less cracking or longer life.

2) RS-19's are fine on the street. Longer heat up is not a problem, they stop the car fine when stone cold, wet or dry.

3) Don't bother drilling for the pad sensor. Just tie the sensor and wire back onto the hydralic hose with a quick tie. You'll be checking the pad thickness anyway so no need for the sensors.

4) I agree, bevel all edges.

5) Yes, change the rears too.

5) Try the RS-19's. The improved pedal feel and longer life are great features.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I just switched over from stock pads to the RS-19's. As Mike pointed out, no problems stopping on the street, even when cold (ironically, they seem to work better cold than the stock pads). The big issue for street driving is squealing...a loud high-pitched metal-on-metal quadraphonic sound when they warm up. So loud that no one even notices my muffler bypass pipes anymore, but when I come to a stop everyone turns their head to look.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:09 AM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

My RS-19's squeal so bad its comical. Pedal pressure only changes the pitch. So bad my wife accused me of putting them on because I wanted the attention. Had to change the stock pads because they smelled burnt bad coming off the track, the pads were roasted, suprised they didnt smoke. Other than the noise they work fine like everyone has said. And dont stink.
If anybody has some tips on controlling the noise I'm all ears. :-)
Old 10-26-2005, 07:07 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about RS29s.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:05 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

Default Thanks

Great, thank you all for the detailed replies! It sounds like these pads are probably the way to go. Thanks--

Geoff.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:07 AM
RS Patrik
Racer

Originally Posted by DanH
How about RS29s.
gets my vote as well.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:54 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

i have used rs 19s on my 997 all year they were fantastic. i never changed back to street. I got like 12 or 14 track days out of them. great pedal feel. my gt3 has blacks (came when i bought the car) on them they worked well last week but i will deffinately go back to rs19 when theses are worn out...

I know some pads will crack rotors faster than others, rs19 were very rortor freindly. all rotors are going to crack in the track if they have holes in them ... basic metal fatigue no pad will stop that.

Quick Reply: RS-19 the way to go?