Sponsored by:

anyone here race their street gt3

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 01:51 PM
gt3skea
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone here race their street gt3

i have been thinking of doing it while i wait a year or 2 and try to get a newer cup car. I love the car and don't think i will sell it for quite some time, even if i have a cup car this is the perfect track car as an instructor can ride and i don't have to kill the cup engine and can occasionally take it on the street. I was specifically wondering about the class it would run in for pca (and what mods do what for the class it would be in - what im allowed to do etc) and what other crazy's there are racing this that i could pm to get more info on their experience doing so - results etc.

and before someone says i did do a search on the past threads and most end up off topic and there is a lot of speculation but not a lot of concrete as to b or c class and not much at all that i could find on how competitive the car is.

thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 02:30 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would run in B Stock. It's an expensive proposition, even though it's a street car-- think wheels, suspension, cage, seats, fire system, etc. Very few are raced back East due to the high cost of the car-- it's an expensive writeoff...

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS Clone
Old 10-18-2005, 03:05 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

That's exactly what I am thinking of doing for almost exactly the same reason.

I want to keep this car forever so even if I get a Cup car a year from now the GT-3 would be great for track days and time trial events and over the long run be cheaper to run then the Cup. I would then use the Cup for racing only.

So over this winter I'm considering these mods to the GT-3 street so I can continue my "career" in the PAC/PACA Time Trials and Short Track events and use it to get my racing license.

The car is stock now except for tires, RS wing and safety equipment so I will add:

1. RS suspension set up (Gert's kit minus dampeners and springs)
2. Motons
3. Exhaust - don't know what yet
4. Better roll-bar, maybe more of a cage
5. True racing seat

I've run the gambit of opinions on this from people who say I'm crazy (usually people that turn over a lot of cars and think about things like resale value - not that there is anything wrong with that - it's just not my concern here) to those like my wife who say "go for it".

Nice to know I'm not alone in my crazy thinking processes. To bad we are on opposite coasts or we could work on this plan together....

-Kevin
Old 10-18-2005, 03:50 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Kevin, I'm hearing you Big Time. You are getting closer to my car! I also agree 100% on the cup car. I've qualifed for my PCA TT license, so now maybe POC STS as well next year?

P.S. what did you do with your open trailer?

P.P.S. the one mod not on your list that you should consider is the SMF-as other have said, and I concur 100%, it is a must for track junkies.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:04 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vegasgolf98
Kevin, I'm hearing you Big Time. You are getting closer to my car! I also agree 100% on the cup car. I've qualifed for my PCA TT license, so now maybe POC STS as well next year?

P.P.S. the one mod not on your list that you should consider is the SMF-as other have said, and I concur 100%, it is a must for track junkies.
I think the SMF will take the car out of stock classification though and you'll end up competing with the big boys in 600hp turbo conversions, RSRs, etc. Scary company.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:49 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by vegasgolf98

Hey Phillip,
POC STS - yeah baby - bring it on, Henrik and I need some competition!

RE: Open Trailer
Sold it locally which was nice.

So.... what is the SMF? Whatever it is I need it.....
Old 10-18-2005, 05:15 PM
GT3 Racer
Rennlist Member

Someone had their car in B class at Road America this year. Problem was I think he was the only car in B. Nobody else to race against.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:23 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

You could bring a Mark I in from Europe & run in "C" where you would have plenty of people to race against but that doesn't help much on using your existing car One of our local guys will be doing that next year, maybe even end of this year if he gets it done in time. Should be a VERY competitive car in C with the right set-up
Old 10-18-2005, 05:46 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Racer
Someone had their car in B class at Road America this year. Problem was I think he was the only car in B. Nobody else to race against.
Yeah, that's the problem in the East too. There are about 3 or 4 cars that race, but it is sporatic at best. And if I ran my car, it would only be 4 or 5 races per year as well.

My biggest concern about the Mark I GT3 is that it could easily get bumped into B, along with the 997S, if they do too well in 2006. And then both would get their clocks cleaned by a Mark II GT3.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:07 PM
gt3skea
Instructor

Originally Posted by DCLee
It would run in B Stock. It's an expensive proposition, even though it's a street car-- think wheels, suspension, cage, seats, fire system, etc. Very few are raced back East due to the high cost of the car-- it's an expensive writeoff...

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS Clone
what mods can be done that leave it in b? smf? suspension? or do they take it up a class?

i know its expensive to run it but cup cars don't grow on tree's and you can insure both of them the same...

btw - was that you at vir this past weekend? it had to be, a yellow gt3 with that many mods - if it was were you running slicks? and did you get your moton's sorted?
Old 10-18-2005, 07:16 PM
DCLee
Pro

Yes, you can do the suspension within limits, it's largely free. One B-Class GT3 back East runs a full Penske setup and zillion-pound springs. Another well-driven one is bone stock and does equally well.

I am using JRZ Doubles and uprated springs, not approaching Cupcar stiffness. Still fiddling with the settings due to my extremely limited amount of seat time this year.

That wasn't me at VIR-- maybe Matt E, who came to grief there earlier in the season-- our cars look identical (i.e., full RS treatment). I do run Pirelli slicks for DE, but for club racing you would have to run Hoosiers and the camber setup is different.

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS Clone
Old 10-18-2005, 09:11 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Wright Tuning in Cincinnati (Great Shop) has done a complete B stock conversion of a GT3 including full cage, Motons, Data Aquisition, exhaust, seats, fire, etc. If you want, give them a call for some input if you're going through with it. I've seen the car and can vouch for the quality. In talking with them, it was quite a bit more expensive than a Cup car by the time they were done.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:52 PM
DCLee
Pro

Yeah, I've done all that stuff, and more, except for the data-logging. Another source is Farnbacher-Loles in Conn.-- they have done several GT3 Streets for customers who want to have fun below the GTC and IMSA Cup level. My RS conversion was done by IMA Motorsport, in Fairfax, Va., and they did a great job with the car.

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS Clone

Last edited by DCLee; 10-19-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:53 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Kev, I might join you in that, I have to get more info. SMF=single mass flywheel. Nice results for $$ spent.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:08 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

i second F-L as a goos shop as well as Synergy which is closer and has to talent set the car up

Great idea although the Class could be lonely

Last edited by Cupcar#12; 10-19-2005 at 12:32 AM.

Quick Reply: anyone here race their street gt3