Sponsored by:

Who has installed the LWFL kit...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,099 Likes on 648 Posts
Default Who has installed the LWFL kit...

whats it like, how has the car improved?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2005, 06:08 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of thread on this, check the archives-- It's nice, do it if you're tracking the car. The car is a little more responsive, but I did so many other things at the same time I can't say how much of that was just due to the LWF.

Lee in D.C.
'05 RS Clone
Old 10-03-2005, 09:12 PM
navdoc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you autocross it is a money maker!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:28 PM
gtdrei
Pro

IMHO, If you only do one mod to the GT3, This is the one . Street or track, the car is significantly improved.

Robin
Old 10-04-2005, 10:19 AM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Does it void the warranty?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by I XLR8
Does it void the warranty?

No, I was told today it does not.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:16 AM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Track it - DO IT it helps a lot to get out of corners and downshifting is smoother.
Don't Track it - I wouldn't, it does add significant noise (much more than my floating hat rotors) and is not necessary.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

In my book, there is no reason not to do this mod. The little bit of extra noise is right in character for the car and is hardly noticable unless your listening for it. Its a great setup and works well both on the street and at the track.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sloth
In my book, there is no reason not to do this mod. The little bit of extra noise is right in character for the car and is hardly noticable unless your listening for it. Its a great setup and works well both on the street and at the track.

Sloth.

I have called around to several folks, I have heard the clutch is a PITA in trafic, kind of ON / OFF...And I have heard its not much different than the current clutch (as far as feel and catch points....and I was told today that the CPU might have to be adjusted....
Old 10-04-2005, 12:09 PM
DCLee
Pro

Your sources are misinformed. The RS clutch is NOT on-off (that is the 993 LWF or a GT3 with a full-race puck-style clutch, maybe) and you do NOT have to mod the CPU (as some folks do to the '95 993 w. LWF to try and counteract rapid spooldown/stalling). I have done both, so there is the odd chance that I actually know what I'm talking about

Lee in D.C.
'05 RS Clone
Old 10-04-2005, 12:19 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

I own a 996 RS and can confirm the clutch + flywheel are not even beginning to approach on/off. I've driven cars with race clutches and they are a complete nightmare. This isn't even in the same galaxy, let alone ball park.

Reprogramming of the ECU is a matter I can't comment on though.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:58 PM
DCLee
Pro

Somewhere along the line, some Porsche fan-zine published a report that said the factory RS has a reprogrammed ECU to account for faster clutch spool-up-- i.e., just a little more timing and fuel. Naturally, I have no way of knowing whether any of this is correct. If someone cares to spend around $1,800-$2,000 for a flash-loaded program that produces about 8 extra h.p., you can approximate the effect by simply altering the fuel and ingnition maps.

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS Clone
Old 10-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rolo
Sloth.

I have called around to several folks, I have heard the clutch is a PITA in trafic, kind of ON / OFF...And I have heard its not much different than the current clutch (as far as feel and catch points....and I was told today that the CPU might have to be adjusted....

I have driven track cars with the full race clutches and ultralight flywheels that act like an on/off switch. The RS clutch and LWFW don't even come close to being a race type clutch. The feel and catch points are very similar to stock and it takes no time at all to adjust. The ECU is a non issue for the LWFW conversion in our cars. I did read in Excellence or Pano that the RS has a recalibrated ECU to fully take advantage of the LWFW/clutch and the ram air effect of the rear mounted intake scoop. The GT3 Clubsport also has the LWFW, but I'm pretty sure it has the same programming as our standard dual mass flywheel equiped cars.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:47 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Sltoth,
Would you recommend it if you don't track it? Or is the noise too much if you only drive it on the street?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would not have bothered with the upgrade until I had a reason to drop the engine. Luckily the RMS gave me the reason, PCNA picked up the labor, and it was a no brainer decision as a "whilst your in there" upgrade. The GT3 already makes plenty of noise on its own and the additional rattle of the flywheel is not a big deal to me. The rattle is only heard at idle with the clutch out or when pulling away from low RPM's (ex: 2nd gear at 12mph). I knew before hand I was going to get some noise, but its not as loud as I was expecting. Your tolerance for the sound may not be the same as mine, so a test listen is a good idea if your concerned.

Quick Reply: Who has installed the LWFL kit...