Anyone put rear seats in a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 01:01 PM
ringmeister
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone put rear seats in a GT3?

I know this may sound crazy but has anyone put rear seats and belts in a GT3?

I've been trying to sell my GT3 for a while (Roadfly, Autoweek, Auto Trader, PML, and here) and I've gotten very little traffic at my asking price of $92k. I would probably get down to $89k but anything below that and I'll just keep it.

Problem is that if I keep it, with the other cars I have, I will never use it so I'm contemplating putting rear seats/belts into it and that way I can use it when I have my kids (7 and 3 year olds) in tow.

Is this crazy or does anyone think this is a decent idea?

-Gary
Old 09-07-2005, 01:06 PM
phaedrus242
Instructor

This has been discussed a few times previously. Basically, as the car is not registered as a four seat car, you would likely have some issues with your insurance company in the event of a collision involving "rear seat" passengers. Additionally, it may be a difficult retrofit that you could not be guaranteed was safe.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:11 PM
frayed
Race Car

I witnessed a rear seat retrofit done by my local dealer. It was obscene. Multiple structural panels had to be changed out, a bunch of welding, and complete disassembly of the rear area. Not a bolt-in retrofit.

The upshot from the dealer was that it was wicked expensive, both in terms of man hours and parts, and they refused to ever do one again.

Prolly better and safer to buy a beater car for kid duty. That's why I kept my M3 sedan.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:16 PM
ringmeister
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phaedrus242
This has been discussed a few times previously. Basically, as the car is not registered as a four seat car, you would likely have some issues with your insurance company in the event of a collision involving "rear seat" passengers. Additionally, it may be a difficult retrofit that you could not be guaranteed was safe.
Well, my auto insurance doesn't cover personal injury anyway, that's covered through my health insurance so they don't care.

Safety is a concern though, thanks.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:17 PM
ringmeister
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
I witnessed a rear seat retrofit done by my local dealer. It was obscene. Multiple structural panels had to be changed out, a bunch of welding, and complete disassembly of the rear area. Not a bolt-in retrofit.

The upshot from the dealer was that it was wicked expensive, both in terms of man hours and parts, and they refused to ever do one again.

Prolly better and safer to buy a beater car for kid duty. That's why I kept my M3 sedan.
I have an R32 but I'd rather drive the GT3.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:42 PM
jpeytonii
Rennlist Member

I would trade the GT3 for a 997 S if you must be able to haul kids.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-07-2005, 03:24 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It's actually not that bad to retrofit on an '05 at least( I believe they share a lot of panels with the reg 996, unlike the '04), but the real problem is the car can't be registered as a 4 seater. Imagine the liability if something unforseen happened, your health ins may even refuse to honor the claim let alone the 'other party'. I looked into this long and hard before I got my C4S, in the end my atty talked me out of it,
maybe just trade it in on a new 997S?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:22 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

all the brackets for the folding rear seats and rear seat belts are there. Personally, I consider a GT3 with rear seats safer than a regular 996 with rear seats, because of the stiffer chassis and the lack of a sunroof. The narrow body Carrera 4 came with rear seats as well.

The only concern is the one related to an eventual insurance claim.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:59 PM
gt3skea
Instructor

i looked into it and talked to at least half a dozen people, nobody would do it bc of the liability that could come down on them... in the end i agreed, the rules are there for reason.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
all the brackets for the folding rear seats and rear seat belts are there. Personally, I consider a GT3 with rear seats safer than a regular 996 with rear seats, because of the stiffer chassis and the lack of a sunroof. The narrow body Carrera 4 came with rear seats as well.

The only concern is the one related to an eventual insurance claim.
Absolutely correct, all the bits are there.

Insurance...reminds me of the valet at the restaurant who said the Insurance requires them to park the car...lol. \
Absolute nonsense, gee no I did not install rear seats because it was an unsafe car for passengers from the factory....gee why did they put folding rear seats in the US spec car then...not GT3 seats...cant even be ordered with them in the US...So I guess Insurance company's would say the TT is fine then....back seats and all....definite disconnect somewhere in the production logic.

Ill bet "special wishes/Werks1" will be glad to install rear seats...$$$

Quick Reply: Anyone put rear seats in a GT3?