Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 seats: Are Porsche Tequipment/Schroth harness best?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Cerberus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GT3 seats: Are Porsche Tequipment/Schroth harness best?

Hey guys,

I plan to add 6 point harness belts on my GT3 seats and Tequipment roll bar.

Is the Porsche Tequipment/Schroth belts the best setup for the factory GT3 seats? What are all the parts needed?

How about other Schroth or Sparco harnesses? Is a 4 point sufficient for aggressive street driving and maybe adding a sub belt for track events?

The car will mainly be used on the street, so ease of use and comfort are important.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sandy
Old 08-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can find all the parts you need @ carnewal.com

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96030.htm -oem rollbar
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96040.htm -oem harness
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96011.htm -oem seats leather
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96051.htm -oem seats cloth

here is a pic of the parts installed on my car, i had the dealer put it all in before i took delivery.

it is very comfortable on the street, and theres the peace of mind afforded by knowing you used all oem parts. some people choose to go with a different rollbar, but the tequipment one should be fine for most track events.

the harnesses are very comfortable for extended driving on and off track, and the seats are a dream!

Old 08-21-2005, 11:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

i have GT3 seats, custom roll bar on my car. take the following comment with a grain of salt, as they are just MY opionion.

any well established name harnesses are fine: schroth, team tech, willans etc.

i don't like 4 points. i feel that a sub belt is mandatory. there are many reasons for that, search the racing forum for various view points.

"Is a 4 point sufficient for aggressive street driving" : i don't know about your state, but here in CA it is ILLEGAL to use harness on the streets. if you are pulled over with those things one, try to explain to the cops.

The car will mainly be used on the street, so ease of use and comfort are important.
harness shouldn't be used on streets. if you drive fast enough that you need harness to hold you in place, you are going way way too fast on streets. also, harness is very different than inertia seat belts. NO harness properly used would be even remotely comfortable. for harness to work you have to cinch them down until your shoulders hurt and i mean HURT, otherwise it aint gonna work.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:27 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Cerberus
Hey guys,

I plan to add 6 point harness belts on my GT3 seats and Tequipment roll bar.

Is the Porsche Tequipment/Schroth belts the best setup for the factory GT3 seats? What are all the parts needed?

How about other Schroth or Sparco harnesses? Is a 4 point sufficient for aggressive street driving and maybe adding a sub belt for track events?

Thanks for the feedback.

Sandy
I sent you a PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:03 AM
Steve N.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT3 seats are a very nicely done, comfortable, light. If you have a large butt you may want to look elsewhere. As for the Schroth harness, you will absolutely not want to use a harness for street driving - whether it is legal or not in your state. Among other issues, you will find that if you tighten the belts properly, you will be uncomfortable with the degree of head movement you have - important for looking for idiot drivers on the street.

For track purpose, I think there are better choices than the Schroth - if you have a good race shop in your area, go see what they have fitted.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:18 AM
Steve N.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Additional cooment - the factory half bar is a pretty neat deal if you intend to drive the car on the street frequently. The half bar stiffens the chassis a bit, adds roll protection, and provides mounting for the harness. It seems to me a practical approach for a car which will be street driven. A full cage is impractical for a car which will be driven on the street to any significant degree.. Your wife/girlfriend will let you know about their experience maneuvering over the cage to get into or out of the car.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Cerberus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. I knew I could count on you guys.

I have no idea if harness use is legal or not in Nevada. Also, I did not know they were that uncomfortable to use on the street. However, I am now reconsidering my thoughts of purchasing a set for my car.

On the otherhand, the GT3 seats are awesome and fit me perfectly.

Thanks again guys!

Sandy
Old 08-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Mooty & the others are right, don't use a harness on the street. Get one for the track though, since it'll hold you in place much better than the stock belt will and is safer.

I've got the Schroth 6-point and install takes about 15 minutes (5 minutes to remove). You'll need a couple of BK parts for the latches on the lap belts and I've also got their sub-bar. Also, you'll need to go to a junkyard and spend $2 on a male seatbelt buckle from any German car to fool the light/chime while using the harness.

Quick Reply: GT3 seats: Are Porsche Tequipment/Schroth harness best?