Sponsored by:

Niello Porsche Service Experience (bad) -- Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:19 AM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Angry Niello Porsche Service Experience (bad) -- Advice Needed

Took my car into Niello last week for my 15K (1k early) and a few nick nacks..

My list:

Fix drivers side dash vent (will not close) -- vent on order

Install/program airbag deactivation device (done, incorrectly, so buckle release is inward. Nice, thanks. Glad I paid you to do it wrong)

Keyless entry irradic (new remotes ordered)

Conduct 15 K service (done)

Change gear oil (done...tried to tell me I needed turbo oil ($$$), told them to double check that...lol)

Steal my CD from my player (done).

I could not belive that they stole my CD. I was listening to it when I arrived. I clearly recall it...when I arrived, I turned the system off and then got out, handed him the key, etc. The CD was in there when I left. The next day, i get in my car, drive away, and after a while, hit the CD button....no CD...WTF!!

I look around and cant find it. I call the service guy and he tells me he will ask the guys, etc. Calls me back in 5 and says, no, they dont have it, maybe you should check around. I tell him that I was listening to it when I arrived, and was certain that it was IN THE CD PLAYER when I left he car, now it is gone. His attitude tells me that he could give a ****....

So, what to do? it is only a fricken CD, but come on....at least an appology would have been nice. This is not something I want to call the service manager about as I dont want bad blood between me and the only dealer within 90 miles, but its kind of pissing me off the more I think about it. I spent about $900 on service and repairs and get crap stolen from my car....and they could give a ****. That does not leave me with warm fuzzies.

It is bad enough that they charge me to install the airbag deactivation device when Porsche doesn't even install one...talk about a future lawsuit when some kid gets killed...geez. But, they have the gall to steal personal property from me too...and then tell me "too bad" in so many words...I feel like I am in prision and just bent over to pick up the soap.

Advice? What would you do? Again, I don't want to **** anybody off, but I feel like I was treated rather poorly. And hell, it aint like I am servicing a 20 year old car worth $10K either. How do they expect me to buy a car from them in the future when they **** all over me?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:24 PM
HAMMER502
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'D UNLOAD ALL PERSONAL EFFECTS AND SIT IN THE WAITING ROOM WHILE THEY SERVICED MY VEHICLE THE NEXT TIME(PROBABLY FOR WARRANTY SERVICE ONLY FROM HERE ON ,IF IT WAS ME),AND WHEN ASKED WHY I HAD ALL OF MY BELONGINGS WITH ME I'D EXPLAIN IT TO THEM.THIS ONCE HAPPENED TO ME,ALTHOUGH IT WAS WITH A GMC PICKUP(THEY STILL DIDN'T LIKE ME SITTING IN THE WAITING ROOM WITH ALL OF MY BELONGINGS IN FRONT OF ME).
Old 08-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That leaves a sick feeling in your stomach, doesn't it?
Well, sadly, all the Bay Area dealers have their stories and I don't know what's real and what's distorted or just untrue.
I've had one or two first-hand shockers.
What to do?
If I was a Carrera GT owner, I'd probably afford the expense of paying to have someone (trusted) sit in the car the whole time it was out of my sight.
It seems like rolling into a Porsche dealer as someone who's bought a US$100K+ car, you're nobody.
Go get a $199/month lease on a Lexus, you're practically blood to royalty when you're at the dealership. So it seems.
Every now and then, PCAG gets wind of how badly PCNA runs the show. From parts and service, to sales and marketing. The recent few years of pouring money into new and remodelled buildings means the same low-grade staff now sit in nice surrounds while they screw Porsche.
There are guys on these Web forums that have found good luck with individuals at dealerships and that's the way it works, you have to make your own luck and keep trying until you find a sales guy or a service manager that's on the ball and behaves professionally.
If you're around Sacramento, you're either driving into Sonnen or Stead, but then again, I've also heard of people enjoying their experiences with Niello. Maybe things have changed since they changed location.
In this case, I wouldn't shrug it off, I'd write a concise letter to the GM at the dealership, nothing caustic, just a letter of complaint. If the dealership fixes the problem, good, otherwise, escalate to PCAG and let everyone at the dealership burn a little. As they say, it's not the mistake, it's how the people handle the mistake that counts.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:04 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Hmmm. Not sure i want to really go there over a $10 CD...but I guess you are right in saying that it is not the mistake per se, it is how they handle it.

FYI, I also have a Lexus, and they do treat you like royalty....which is wonderful. I am really starting to NOT like Porsche for this reason....I am starting to really get pissed, and when I get pissed, I make rash decisions.....good thing I am going to be out of town for a few days or else I may sell it and buy another Lexus....THEN write a pissy letter to PCAG.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:02 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Call the dealership GM and ask if it's standard operating procedure for the guys who wash and move around the cars to rip off your personal belongings. Don't vent, just make it clear that it's not the money and they you're really disappointed and you thought he should be aware of what's going on in the back.

If you don't say anything, chances are he'll never know and things will never get better.

Don't get me started on dealers...I had the BMW in today to try to fix a problem for the second time (as well as get raped for some routine service items). All fixed they tell me, "test driving it right now". Taking it home & two blocks from the dealer it runs like **** again. Going in for try number three tomorrow...
Old 08-16-2005, 10:30 AM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Good luck Holger! LOL. I am going to call the GM today. iamderek knows him pretty good, so I am going to give him a ring. Tim
Old 08-16-2005, 10:51 AM
GT3BB
Racer

Let it go.....they will remember you, and $10 now is nothing compared to a close call that could go either way on a Warranty item in the future. $02.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:53 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's my CD story; I took mine into Silverstar Porsche to check the radio, they replaced it. When I drove it home, the new radio sounded great but I had left my CD in the old one that had been sent to Germany, oh well. About two months later I get a priority airmail delivery from germany, postage paid $29. They sent me back my CD that they found in the radio!
Old 08-16-2005, 11:03 AM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT3BB
Let it go.....they will remember you, and $10 now is nothing compared to a close call that could go either way on a Warranty item in the future. $02.
That is what I was thinking...just let it go as there may be something downthe road....hell, its only a $10 CD...

What pissed me off if the principle...that he could give a **** that somebody there stole my CD...right out of the player too, not one that was in the glove box or something. THAT is what pisses me off, his attitude.

I am going to chill for a bit....I am sure I will run into the GM one day and I may mention it to him. Also, I have been pondering HOW to approach the subject. I think I will mention it as an FYI...that they need to keep an eye on the detail guys, etc. I am not sure...I guess being out of town for the week will help as i will not make any rash decisions!

Thanks for all of the input fellas. Tim
Old 08-16-2005, 11:38 AM
GT3BB
Racer

AF

It's probably a longshot but did you check the glove box?

Good Luck
Old 08-16-2005, 11:41 AM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Yes. After the service guy said "nope, nobody here has seen it....why don't you look around in the car", I checked it throughout...I could not find it. I KNOW it was in the CD player as i was listening to it when I pulled up for service. I thought that maybe they took it out and put it in the shop radio or something and forgot to give it back, basically. Well, whatever. lol
Old 08-16-2005, 11:46 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Who was recorded on the CD??

I know how you feel. I had a special edition BMW M5 pen ($90). It was missing after BMW service. It must have been a customer in the service area since none of the dealership people knew anything about the loss! Just leaves a bad feeling and now you know you can't trust them. Probably you never really could, but the confirmation is very "disappointing"!
Old 08-16-2005, 11:56 AM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Korn

I have a wide taste in music....Korn is my "rock out in the morning and wake up!" cd... I figured the detail guys are prolly some high school kids....the "target audience" of Korn. Go figure.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:10 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

If it was yours, and you liked it ....that is all that matters!!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

They left the Britney & J Lo?

Quick Reply: Niello Porsche Service Experience (bad) -- Advice Needed