Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade Bumper Screens

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The goal is to protect the radiators from trash. Reducing airflow is a concern. I'm not able to measure the airflow reduction these screens effect, but it seems to me that if the cup cars use similar screens and the water temperature gauge does not not seem to be higher, that the change is worth it.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:04 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticFox
If you are lucky, I will have the write up done sometime around then...
Are you feeling lucky punk? Well, are ya? (Dirty Harry)

Well, good timing I think. I am planning on re-doing the screen project. I think I may have found a better adhesive to do the job, and do it better (fitment). This time I will document it with pics, etc. HOWEVER, I have limited "webpage" knowledge....so I may have to call upon my cousin to help me create a page to post it w/ pics and directions.

Tentatively, I have this slated for 9/10 as my wife will be on a cruise with her girlfriends. A perfect time to rip apart the car without snide remarks and comments! lol.

So, hopefully soon I will have it up, but I dont see any time on the horizon before that. If I do find some time, I will jump right into it as I want to get this done. I am thinking a hot glue method will work much better. The set (drying) time is greatly reduced and I think the glue will stick better to the plastic than what i used previously.

Now all I need to do is convince my cousin (amatuer photographer) NOT to use his bizillion MP camera to document it.. lol.

Sorry to hear about your bumper.....them parking blocks are a PITA. So far, i have been lucky. But, by the time you get it, and get it painted, I should have the write-up done. Tim
Old 08-31-2005, 12:17 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Hard to feel lucky looking down the barrel of a .44 Magnum. (My daughter rented one at the local range and recited those lines from the movie before plugging the bad guy target.)

Tim, I appreciate your doing this. Now if I could also get less stupid in parking lots I'll be set.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:21 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Is there a reason you are trying to reduce the cooling ability of your car? If it's necessary to cover the openings, it would be better to go with a looser grid than will minimize air flow restriction. Those screens have reduced at least 50% of the airflow over the radiators. If it's only for the "bling" then, that's another story.
I have not noticed any reduction in cooling (at least on the temp gauge). Obviously, any type of restriction will cause less efficiency of the radiators. This would include bugs, debris, etc. Also, a nice rock will really knock down the efficiency of the radiators! LOL.

After seeing all the crap and deris in my radiators, and how banged up they were already, there was no doubt that I had to do something to protect them. First, i bought the Cup screens. I did not like the fit and finish as to use them , you must unistall a plastic trim peice on the inside surface of the bumper. This left large holes, etc visible. I just thought it looked crappy. So I decided to make my own.

I have not tracked the car yet, so I dunno if it will cause any problems there. However, the screen size on the stuff i bought is about identical to the screen size of the Cup screens. So I see no great issue with having them. For me, the protection aspect is important. It aint about the bling at all for me. If I wanted bling I woulda chromed them.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:24 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

At the track last month I cleaned five cigarette butts out of my bumper, and I don't know anyone who smokes.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:19 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

lol. Before I decided to get some screens, I decided to remove my bumper and clean the radiators...I was amazed at all the crap literally PACKED in them. A lot of it was small stuff, which the screens would not prevent. But there was a lot of larger crap too, and lots of dents on the radiators. That is when I decided to get some screens. I figured I would get hte Cup screens. Hell, if the Cup cars can run with them and not overheat at the track, I surely could too. Then, as you know, I made my own. The screens are about the same pattern, etc. So I again figured that they would flow roughly the same as the Cup ones. No harm no foul. So far, no issues at all (except debris collecting on the screens!!!).
Old 08-31-2005, 04:22 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatr we think are radiators are actually A/C condensors, the radiators sit behing in a sanwich position. THe only exposed radiator is the center one. I have the screens, RS cutouts at the top of the bumper and a forward tilted center radiator and temp gauge is registering cooler temps.

Ciao,

Johannes E.

GT3 CS
Old 08-31-2005, 04:29 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Good correction, Johannes. Is your bumper the RS version? If so, is your car white or did you paint the bumper? If you painted the bumper, did they stip the white paint off? (I understand the RS bumper comes from Porsche in white, not primer.)
Old 08-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

My car is a Mk. 1 with the Supercup/RS cutouts, performed by a local bodyshop.

Ciao,

Johannes E.

GT3 CS
Old 08-31-2005, 05:27 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

I know they are not "radiators"...Hell, I got in there and cleaned everything out of them, and the radiators behind them. It was immediately obvious that they were the condensors. I just said "radiators" as a general description. :-)

Also, to get a rock into an a/c condensers would be even more costly I bet....have to recharge the system, etc, etc. Another good reasons for screens.

Eventually, i would like to do what you did....get the cup bumper and tilt the radiator...that would be nice.

Quick Reply: Homemade Bumper Screens