Sponsored by:

Living w/a GT3 Seat...possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 06:01 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Living w/a GT3 Seat...possible?

I was wondering if anyone did a comparission or switched from a regualar sport seat to a GT3 Seat. I'm thinking of making the switch and was wondering how comfy the GT3 seat was and how long you can drive in it w/o fatique.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Moogle
Race Car

the GT3 seat is brilliant, absolutely brilliant. the only reason it was not included with the USA GT3 as the default seat is probably due to some BS homologation law, or because porsche didn't want to turn people away from the car.

anyways, the seats are absolutely sublime, connecting the driver to the car much better. I can drive in them for hours and hours. (so far my record drive in my GT3 is 6 hours with 2 fuel stops, so ~30 minute break) 70% was on twisties and the rest was on the highway. they don't make it any worse, only increase the feedback and connect you better.

this is one of those things where you should try them out for yourself first, it will become immediately clearr if they are the right seats for you.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:23 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I installed my stock seat after a while. For me, it was mostly a matter of not wanting to wear a hole in the side bolster of the seat, climbing in and out....then compounded by the fact that I gave myself a hernia, it was a no brainer to yank it out for now. I have reserved the euro seat for the track.

Also, on my drive back from L.A., I found that the inability to move and stretch in the seat was a problem...I did have to get out and stretch once, and my legs were ready to get out of the car when I got home. lol. Otherwise, the seats are great! I personally would not want to do a long drive with them (5+ hours), or use them everyday (due to wear and tear on the side bolster), but otherwise, they are a great seat.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:24 PM
puma1824
Pro

What do you think WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) would be? To some, ok maybe just me, this is very important.

-Puma

Originally Posted by Moogle
the GT3 seat is brilliant, absolutely brilliant. the only reason it was not included with the USA GT3 as the default seat is probably due to some BS homologation law, or because porsche didn't want to turn people away from the car.

anyways, the seats are absolutely sublime, connecting the driver to the car much better. I can drive in them for hours and hours. (so far my record drive in my GT3 is 6 hours with 2 fuel stops, so ~30 minute break) 70% was on twisties and the rest was on the highway. they don't make it any worse, only increase the feedback and connect you better.

this is one of those things where you should try them out for yourself first, it will become immediately clearr if they are the right seats for you.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:26 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Originally Posted by puma1824
What do you think WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) would be? To some, ok maybe just me, this is very important.

-Puma
not married, but girls i've had in the say they are awesome seats. they really hug you and make you feel secure... (isn't that what women want?)

they may be unsuitable for those with a very thick midsection.

they require a bit of stretching to get in due to the solid high side bolster, but its nothing much. no where near as much acrobatics as involved in getting into say, a lotus elise.

once your in the seats, they are very snug and delightfully racy as well as comfortable if a bit stiff.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can only agree to what Moogle/Tom said, including WAF. I installed them in my Turbo more than 3 years ago, and it now really feels weird to drive another car with 'normal' seats...
That said, I have to say that the seats of the 997 are muuuuch better than the std or sport seats of the 996. But this is getting off-topic.
Greetings,
--Pierre
Old 08-03-2005, 08:01 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I went GT3 seats and will NOT go back. It now feels like I'm wearing the car. Also good on distance runs IMO.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Pierre, you are right the sport seats on the 997 are VERY good, much better than the 996's sport seats, which were rather uncomfortable.

i was very surprised when i compared the 996 and 997 sport seats...
Old 08-03-2005, 08:27 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moogle
not married, but girls i've had in the say they are awesome seats. they really hug you and make you feel secure... (isn't that what women want?)

they may be unsuitable for those with a very thick midsection.

they require a bit of stretching to get in due to the solid high side bolster, but its nothing much. no where near as much acrobatics as involved in getting into say, a lotus elise.

once your in the seats, they are very snug and delightfully racy as well as comfortable if a bit stiff.

Im 6ft 4 and big boned, will I fit.

Last edited by Jerseybean; 08-19-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:33 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

OK you got me??? You have a GT3 and you don't know if you'll fit in it?
Old 08-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Fit into the GT3 style seats, see attached photo.

Last edited by Jerseybean; 08-19-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Moogle
Race Car

lol Jersey...
Old 08-03-2005, 09:15 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 6'7" and I am comfortable. I do have the BK seat brackets that do lower the seat a little more than 1" when compared to the stock GT3 seat brackets...
Old 08-03-2005, 09:53 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

Put them in this winter and love them, but they are a chore to get in and out of but I don't mind. After a while the side bolster may need to be redone though... I'm 6'1" and pretty thin and love the way they feel. My wife doesn't ride in it very often as she finds it a little noisy, but thought the seats were comfortable once you were IN them. Of course, my two sons think they are the BEST! Unfortunately I can't take the car to visit my mom a couple hours away (she doesn't drive anymore) as I don't think I'd ever get her out of the car once she got in it... she's 91 years old. She's wanted a ride in it (my dad had Porsches for years and she loved going for rides in them) but I've tried to tell her she'd be in the car for quite a while if she did get in it. Occassionally I'll take her for a ride in the 914 but that's also hard to get in and out of because it's pretty low as well. The GT3 is already a niche car so if you like it, you'll LOVE the seats IMHO...
Old 08-03-2005, 10:48 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock sports seats for me are more comfortable for daily driving and/or long trips. But they are useless at the track, particularly once you learn how to drive this car the way it should be on the track (I'm learning). If you're going to do enough track days, I'd go with the Euro seats and put up with a little discomfort on the road. If not, I'd stick to the sport seats.

The wife factor for me is that she hates the seats. Of course she hates the whole car to begin with, so her hating the seats is no real surprise!!!

Quick Reply: Living w/a GT3 Seat...possible?