Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Living w/a GT3 Seat...possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 11:06 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I may, the mid term comfort level of the seats are just fine for me. Funny thing is you would think one would need to wiggle around to keep the "comfort spot" in the right place. But even after a number of 3+ hour trips that has not been the case. The GT3 seats work very well, maybe not for every ****, but for the one I have at least. Never heard a complaint from my passengers either. At this point I am very pleased with them. I am 5'11" and about 190 if that helps perspective.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:31 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Great for the track and spirited road driving. IMO, bottom is too hard for long trips, but I have a bony ****! I reinstall the sports seats for the occasional 5 hour cruise between the San Francisco area and Los Angeles.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:49 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm in the minority, because I didn't like mine....at all. Too tight, no real side support, too much seat curvature, and the headrest was too close to my head, pushing it forward with my helmet on. I installed Sparco EVO L seats and love them. They have a little more room for me (6'1"/240 lbs), and now I sit more in the seat than on it. The shoulder bolsters fit me better and I have the room between my helmet and headrest for a H&N device. I also like the cloth upholstery for those hot days on the track. Here's what they look like.

Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:18 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry, these seats are also much cheaper than the GT3 ones right?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, they are about $650 each, give or take, but you have to get side brackets from Brey-Krause (about $100 each, they fit perfectly) and either new sliders or re-use the ones on your stock seats. I got lucky and sold my GT3 seats without the sliders.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:44 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

I could save a lot of money and add it to my tire and brake budget. Im looking at these seats now, that and the Recaro SPG XL
Old 08-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by puma1824
What do you think WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) would be? To some, ok maybe just me, this is very important.

-Puma
I don't have GT3 seats but Sparco Evo bucket seats which in a way are very similar and I really like them. I have bad back but still the ride to Sebring (about 3 hours) has never bothered me, and my car's suspension is pretty damn hard (monoballs, PSS-9, RS sways).

And my wife who really isn't the big fan of a car without sound deadening, basically straight pipes, hard suspension etc. commented about the seats saying they are much better than the ole seats (I had 993 sport seats) since she doesn't have to hold on during cornering.

I'd say anyone who has GT3 should get GT3 seats since that's what was meant to be in the car anyway, sport seats are only a compomise towards comfort and really aren't par with the car.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I am 6'4" 205lbs and have the GT3 seats. I fit fine so long as I keep my weight under 215. After that it starts to get tight and pinch. I have done several 5-7 hour marathon drives with no problems, but I would not want them in a daily driver. They are much more supportive than the sport seats, but nothing compared to a proper race shell from Sparco or Recaro.

BTW, my WAF was a
Old 08-04-2005, 02:28 PM
SPR
Drifting

I have the gt3 seats in my car and I drive it daily. I am used to them now, and can't imagine going back to the stock seats. However, that said it is a pita getting in and out, and the bolster is worn from getting in and out. I actually have scratches from a pair of cargo shorts with metal buttons. Some people I know slide them all the way back to get in then slide forward to drive and slide back to get out, and they find no problems.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:01 PM
fuse
Advanced

I installed the GT3 seats to see how I liked them and they fit me well and is as comfortable as the Sparco Evo in my SpecMiata. I put the stock seats back in for street use, then I hated it and put the GT3 seats back in. After driving in the GT3 seats, the position is better, you are held in so much better even without 5-6 point harness. For my size (6'1" 185 lbs) it is very comfortable. I don't drive the car daily, but haven't had any issues as I am used to bucket type of seats and having to climb around the roll cage in race cars. It is easier to get in and out of than CGT, Enzo, F50, but that is not saying much. I found it to be a technique thing plus body shape. It does wear on the bolster since it is higher...I am used to use my left hand to push my weight up and around it like you have to in CGT, Enzo, F50. My wife (5' 95 lbs) found it to be very comfortable and didn't complain at all on long trips. She didn't like getting in and out of it at first, but once I showed her to push down with her right hand to get out of passenger side, she said that is easy and is fine with it. She only said that she wished it reclined so she lay back when she is tipsy or tired.

I found the difference between the GT3 seats and Sparco or Momo type seats is that the GT3 seats is deeper and less universal fitting to body shapes. A friend of mine who is 6'3" 215 lbs and felt that it was very comfortable, but another who is 6'2" 205 lbs who clearly was feeling the pressure in the mid section. (Of course they could have been less than truthful about their weight...)

At the end of the day, I am happy and willing to use the seats on a regular basis because it enhances the driving experience to me. I do wish they offer the type seats that come in the Stradale because they are supportive, easy to get in and out, and recline for street and light track duty use.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:08 PM
SPR
Drifting

Can you explain how you get in and out a little better? I usually put my left leg out to use as a brace and lift myself up on the steering wheel at the same time to get both in and out.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Im 200lbs on the Moon maybe.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:24 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

I'm 6'4" and about 240. I got in a GT3 with the euro seats and my posterior (butt) is too big! Couldn't squeeze it in! Plus I don't know if I can put the seat back far enough with a roll bar installed. I'm gonna be hosed, I guess!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:55 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Who has the best price on fabric GT3 seats ? I'm in.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Well I'm in the minority, because I didn't like mine....at all. Too tight, no real side support, too much seat curvature, and the headrest was too close to my head, pushing it forward with my helmet on. I installed Sparco EVO L seats and love them. They have a little more room for me (6'1"/240 lbs), and now I sit more in the seat than on it. The shoulder bolsters fit me better and I have the room between my helmet and headrest for a H&N device. I also like the cloth upholstery for those hot days on the track. Here's what they look like.

Larry,

Can you still use your normal seatbelts with those seats?

Quick Reply: Living w/a GT3 Seat...possible?