Ok, so one of our 928 buddies thinks...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:41 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolo
a supercharged 928 or 944 will toast a GT3 on the street or the track?

I had to call BS on that.....big fan of both those cars BTW.
The 928 buddy is right. With the right mods, a forced induction 928 or 944 will turn faster lap times than a stock GT3.

Check these results at WGI this year. Look at the fastest 944 vs. the fastest GT3. The car in first place is not even on slicks. Personally, I don't think a stock GT3 on slicks can get under 2:06, probably not under 2:07 either.

PCA WGI
Old 12-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The 928 buddy is right. With the right mods, a forced induction 928 or 944 will turn faster lap times than a stock GT3.

Check these results at WGI this year. Look at the fastest 944 vs. the fastest GT3. The car in first place is not even on slicks. Personally, I don't think a stock GT3 on slicks can get under 2:06, probably not under 2:07 either.

PCA WGI

If a 944 can run those times, I'd think a GT3 could also with a good driver. If not Porsche should build more 944s instead of GT3s. If you're talking full race prep well ok. But I have yet to run across a 944 or 928 than can run with my 3.

My old 993 4S would run with them ar road atlanta.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:13 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it really matter if one car is faster than the other? Just do your pick.

I can tell you one thing about my choice in cars, I own a 944 turbo Cup because I can't afford a GT3, but since I bought the Cup car I am wondering if I would be happier with a GT3.

This winter I am doing upgrades to increase the power to GT3 levels (or more depending on boost) which will make the decision even more complicated.

When it comes to supercharged 928's and their reliability it seems to be no problems at all. My own personal experience is from navigating for Bill Ball in a 928 averaging 144.876 MPH for 96 miles including two standing starts on Nevada highways (Gamblers run). I also navigated for a RUF turbo driver and his car was faster but it blew a turbo.. Would that make the 14 year older 928 more reliable than the Ruf?

The GT3's are sweet cars.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:14 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a 944 can run those times, I'd think a GT3 could also with a good driver. If not Porsche should build more 944s instead of GT3s. If you're talking full race prep well ok. But I have yet to run across a 944 or 928 than can run with my 3.

My old 993 4S would run with them ar road atlanta.
Rolo, take into account that a 944 can weigh as little as 1100 kg's and having well over 500 hp and still be street legal.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a supercharged 928 or 944 will toast a GT3 on the street or the track?

I had to call BS on that.....big fan of both those cars BTW.
Rolo, I'd say he hasn't driven a GT3 yet.

Originally Posted by roberga
Austin>>>>>> what do the boys from Devek think????
Hey Gordon and everyone,
I think this is one of the most entertaining threads I've ever read.

As everything sits today, with license plate cars, right now, the GT3 (driver permitting) should take a blown 928 or 944/951, especially if they're automatics on any other than straight line drive. Reality has curves anyway. That's just the way it is. 928's can be extremely good up the hill at Laguna Seca though, ask DennisK, or check out his videos. Put a 5.4L V8 in a 996 and it'll haul also. The GT3 is a race car adapted for the street, 928 is a touring car. The Porsche werkes drivers in the early 1980's often drove 928's to the track as opposed to riding in the transporter with the 911's.

Comparing cars designed 20-27 years apart is challenging. Then what if we threw classes of modified or super modified in the mix? I'd still say GT3.

I remember being kid looking at the 930 as the ultimate, well that's how the GT3 is today, it's an icon, it's special. There's something mystical and fascinating about a limited production and race derived 911 that the step child Porsches don't possess. This means you too, Cayenne and Boxster.

The GT3 and GT3R,RS,RSR visual reaction and expression isn't tangible, it's an incredible and timeless automobile with an amazing and unique group of owners. I mean that with the greatest sincerity and respect, and look forward to this next season of track days and race weekends.

I'll be joining your owners' club soon, maybe at the end of the '06 Touring car season, I have some points to score and prizes I must obtain first.

Austin

DEVEK
Old 12-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin
Rolo, I'd say he hasn't driven a GT3 yet.

Hey Gordon and everyone,
I think this is one of the most entertaining threads I've ever read.

As everything sits today, with license plate cars, right now, the GT3 (driver permitting) should take a blown 928 or 944/951, especially if they're automatics on any other than straight line drive. Reality has curves anyway. That's just the way it is. 928's can be extremely good up the hill at Laguna Seca though, ask DennisK, or check out his videos. Put a 5.4L V8 in a 996 and it'll haul also. The GT3 is a race car adapted for the street, 928 is a touring car. The Porsche werkes drivers in the early 1980's often drove 928's to the track as opposed to riding in the transporter with the 911's.

Comparing cars designed 20-27 years apart is challenging. Then what if we threw classes of modified or super modified in the mix? I'd still say GT3.

I remember being kid looking at the 930 as the ultimate, well that's how the GT3 is today, it's an icon, it's special. There's something mystical and fascinating about a limited production and race derived 911 that the step child Porsches don't possess. This means you too, Cayenne and Boxster.

The GT3 and GT3R,RS,RSR visual reaction and expression isn't tangible, it's an incredible and timeless automobile with an amazing and unique group of owners. I mean that with the greatest sincerity and respect, and look forward to this next season of track days and race weekends.

I'll be joining your owners' club soon, maybe at the end of the '06 Touring car season, I have some points to score and prizes I must obtain first.

Austin

DEVEK

Quick Reply: Ok, so one of our 928 buddies thinks...