Sponsored by:

Bad news - need new engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 05:42 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT3BB, It's been quite a while since I haven't used my method, so I'm guessing...2000-2200rpm? It's not that it's so high, it's the noise and possibly lack of lube. Maybe someone else here knows?
By the way, sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.
Hope the "new" engine" swap goes as smooth as possible.
Bill
Old 06-27-2005, 06:20 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by buckdr1
Artic Fox, and others. FWIW- I've mentioned this several times. When I first go to start the car, I turn the key to "on" let fuel pump, or whatever, run for a few seconds, turn key off, Repeat! Then start it....NO High revs, it never fails( hot or cold weather) w/ my car Would someone like to try it and let me know if it's just My car?

Bill
Very cool. thanks for the tip, I will give it a shot. That sound of oil starvation is like nails on a chalkboard to me.....Tim
Old 06-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Every GT3 I have seen soounds odd at a cold start. I am told that it is due to computer program designed to heat up the catalytic converter rapidly and charging up some sort of accumulator. Mine does it, my wife's does it and three guys I track with have the same sound when firing up from cold.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:59 PM
JTW
Instructor

So, do I take the service manager at his word that the engine will be "brand new"? Do you guys think there is any possibility that PCNA would drop in a rebuilt or refurbished unit? Any way to ultimately verify? BTW, the engine will come from Germany, not Atlanta. Thanks...just want to cover my bases.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:08 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

AFAIK, they need to, at the least, install a "comparable" engine into it. Thus, one could figure that a used one with similar mileage could be used. However, I just can't see them installing a used motor in your car....maybe if it had 59,999k on it....
Old 06-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Doesn't the ECU also keep track of the mileage on the motor? If so, get a readout. I wouldn't lose any sleep over the issue, you're dealing with PAG not GM and they usually step up and do the right thing in my experiences with them. (Now I'm going to get an earfull from the RMS crowd...)

Regarding the cold starts, it's unbelievably loud with the bypass pipes. At idle, people can hear it over a block away (I know because they stroll down the street to check it out).
Old 06-28-2005, 12:28 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,210 Likes on 660 Posts

Chances are it wil be a re-built engine. One that came back fron another car.

All the components will be in 100% shape. There is nothing to worry about. It will be as good, if not better then new because they will spend more time on it knowing that it is a re-built engine.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:11 AM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

buckdr1 -- So this morning I turned the key to the ON position without starting it, let it sit for 5 seconds or so, then fired her up. There was basically NO nasty racket from the motor. It WOULD SEEM that this car has a pre-oiler on it or something similar. EVERY cold start i have had has been noisy as hell until I get oil pressure, which I would consider normal. All cars are noisy until you get oil pressure. However, this morning when I turned the key to the ON position and let it rest there for a few seconds, I did NOT have the oil starvation sounding startup. Who can explain this? It is as if Porsche installed a pre-oiler pump in there or something...Did they? I didn't read about that in the manual, nor have I heard about it elsewhere......but rest assured, that is how I am starting my car from now on. Thanks for the tip buckdr1!!!! This could save thousands of miles of wear on the motor! Tim

Originally Posted by ArcticFox
Very cool. thanks for the tip, I will give it a shot. That sound of oil starvation is like nails on a chalkboard to me.....Tim
Old 06-28-2005, 10:47 AM
GT3BB
Racer

Tried the same technique this morning and the marbles are still there.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:24 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer told me that my 996 replacement engine is new internally, but a used casing.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:32 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Now, is it a Spanish casing or a German casing?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:37 AM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT3BB
Tried the same technique this morning and the marbles are still there.
Interesting. Made a HUGE difference in my car....how cold is it up your way in the morning? Not too cold in Sacramento in the mornings now...maybe that is it? Strange that it would make my marbles go away and not do anything on your car.....
Old 06-28-2005, 12:12 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

If it is a used casing that's good since there will be no RMS issues! They would not rebuild an engine if anything was out of spec in the case. I would not worry about it. Cup cars (which use the same engine as us) rebuild every 30 hours or so. Doesn't bother the racers, would not bother me.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:45 PM
GT3BB
Racer

Originally Posted by ArcticFox
Interesting. Made a HUGE difference in my car....how cold is it up your way in the morning? Not too cold in Sacramento in the mornings now...maybe that is it? Strange that it would make my marbles go away and not do anything on your car.....
AF

I am in Stockton.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:38 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Now, is it a Spanish casing or a German casing?
_______
colm, you current car must be a spanish casking right?

i had/have both casing, both driven hard and never had issues.

Quick Reply: Bad news - need new engine