Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIG drops insurance coverage of GT3; any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default AIG drops insurance coverage of GT3; any suggestions?

On Friday a letter arrived from AIG (AIG Premier Insurance Co.) notifying me that upon the renewal date they will no longer cover our '05 GT3. When we first insured with this company it was Colonial Penn, then GE and now its AIG. The letter says that their program is geared toward "conservative family-type vehicles" and that high performance vehicles have a higher loss frequency and severity and represent a greater risk of auto theft.

We have clean driving records and no claims in the last 5 years or so. Any suggestions? State Farm's on-line quotation is high, Amica is lower and Progressive is the lowest, so far. I'm inclined to get a policy for the GT3 only and leave the other three cars (don't ask) with AIG, at least for the time being. Of course I need high liability limits (250/500 or 500 CSL) because my firm, if not common sense, requires it, and I have had comp and collision with $250 and $500 deductibles.

Any thoughts as to a carrier to contact for a quotation?
Old 04-11-2005, 08:58 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it varies from state to state (not sure), but State Farm should cover you at a DE. I have Allstate, which will not cover me, but bought track insurance separately. I might just go to State Farm when my policy is up. I have a friend in VA and in MD who were told they would be covered (one in writing) and another in NC who was recently covered for a total (all State Farm). I would do a search for State Farm and DE and see what comes up here. Of course if you don't plan on taking the car to the track then disregard this post!

Good Luck,

Jim
Old 04-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I avoid cherry picking of exposure by insurers. NJ auto insurance rates are extremely high. Personally, I make sure that the insurance company that "gets" my life or home policies also insures my automobile. If that is not possible, I certainly want the auto insurer to cover all autos at the very least for a variety of reasons. Besides, as with most purchases, shopping for the best bargain on a per item basis has its own pros and cons. Also, if you are relying on web quotes be sure that they take into account possible multi-line and multiple car scenarios for discounts. I have not obtained web quotes and the programs may well be savvy enough (I just do not know).
Old 04-11-2005, 09:14 AM
gmund 1
Advanced

I went with geico. I read the policy several times and did not see a track exclusion of any kind. the rate was only $275 more than my boxster. I did have to move all of my other vehicles to them.
Gmund
Old 04-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris, unless your Philly address is killing you, I suggest that you go to State Farm and call my agent Scott Morris at (215) 369-9700. Tell him I sent you. I also have AIG for the rest of my cars from my business insurer and they were worthless when it came to the GT3. My son also had a little uh-oh on the track with my car & State Farm paid and renewed...no problem. I do have on-track insurance now too, though.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:48 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

Slightly OT, what "on-track insurance" is available, from whom? A few weeks ago, I did $17K od damage to my GT3. My insurance company, USAA, covered it, but wouldn't mind exploring coverage specifically for DEs.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I had GEICO a few years ago and then when their rates became really uncompetitive I shopped around and found Nationwide. I've now got everything with them and have been very happy.

http://nwinsurance.nationwide.com/nwinsurance/
Old 04-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Slightly OT, what "on-track insurance" is available, from whom? A few weeks ago, I did $17K od damage to my GT3. My insurance company, USAA, covered it, but wouldn't mind exploring coverage specifically for DEs.
Joe, what happened there?
Old 04-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I woulud suggest a higher deductible than $500, you will likely pay more than $500 a year extra compared to a $1000 deductible and as you know small claims will cause an insurer to drop you like a hot potato. BTDT.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:10 AM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,099 Likes on 648 Posts

I am with State Farm. They cover me for DE's also with no extra charge.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:37 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for the many helpful thoughts, especially to Larry for the referral to his agent. I'm currently comparing the same coverages that we have, but when we settle on a new carrier I will certainly revise our coverages--deductibles are too low and we hold comp and collision on some vehicles where it's not cost effective.

Does the State Farm policy lack an exclusion that other carriers have for DEs? That would be a big selling point.

So far there are several carriers that are less expensive than State Farm for the coverages we carry (Progressive is lowest so far), BUT if I move homeowners, umbrella liability and motorcycle coverages to State Farm and assume that our teenaged daughter converts her permit into a license this summer, then State Farm is a pretty good deal.

I'm also curious about separate track insurance, or is that for racing only?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:55 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A few years ago I joined AARP(50) and they had a flyer for auto insurance from The Hartford that turned out to be the least expensive I've found yet, and that's here in Los Angeles. With a clean record, they significantly beat 21st.Century, Geigo, Auto Club, and State Farm. The prerequisite is joining AARP, and a perfectly clean record for the past 3 years....

Oh, and when my 96 Cab was stolen and I negoiated a $48k settlement they dropped me on the next renewal!
Old 04-12-2005, 03:06 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

I have Progressive and my GT3 is only marginally more expensive that my Boxster.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:15 PM
mds
Pro

Laurel Driver Education Management provides on-track DE policies. For $100k coverage with a 15% deductible, the price works out to be about $100 per day on the track.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:08 PM
ryce
Instructor

My state farm policy does not contain an exclusion for use at locations normally used for speed events, as do many policies.

Quick Reply: AIG drops insurance coverage of GT3; any suggestions?