Sponsored by:

GT3 vs. M3 comparisons???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 05:49 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SleepRM3
Read all 7 pages. Interesting the OP SOLD his GT3 for a non-ZCP E46 M3?
...that was 4-1/2 years ago. Does anyone care?
Old 11-28-2009, 05:54 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
...that was 4-1/2 years ago. Does anyone care?
I do b/c I'm cross-shopping between the two cars in the used market.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:04 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do b/c I'm cross-shopping between the two cars in the used market.
Drive them both. Two very different cars for two different uses. Pick the car that does what you need.

Note: a friend of mine has an M3 and he likes it....but he wants a better track car so now he's thinking about moving to a GT3. Another friend tracks his M3 and he'll be keeping it, even though he knows the GT3 is a better track car. Two baby seats in the back dictate that he keep the M3.

Good luck.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:08 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Yes. I've driven E46 M3 (nonZCP). Nice car. Brakes are no better than my E36 M3/4-door's though. No time in a GT3. Recon laps and shotgun (instructor) seat time in a '03 Carrera with GT3 suspension (very neutral compared with stock 996 suspension). Looking at C6 Vette, '04/'05 ZCP M3, '04 GT3 (pricey though).
Old 11-30-2009, 01:32 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went from e36 m3 (two of them) as regular track cars

The gt3 is very different in its track handling, it took me a full seaosn just to get the hang of the dynamics

That said it is a car that is made for the track. the M3 is a street sedan that has minor tuning. The GT3 is a world class track car.

BTW the e46 m3 is a crappy choice for track use, it's overweight, understeers and eats brakes. The e36 is a better choice for the marque.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:40 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm another long time BMW/Porsche fan, and another person that just could not warm up to the e46. It's too heavy, and feels it. I've had a 996 C2 with suspension, and felt even that to be superior to the e46. The e46 M3 I think is an immensely capable car, but it's not fun or involving. It is the more comfortable car though, I'll give it that.

Alas, after going back and forth for a while, my last e36 M3/sedan is for sale (I've owned 5 of them), and I'm shopping for another C2, or a GT3 if I find a decent deal on one.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:38 AM
SleepRM3
Pro

Originally Posted by Ahmet
I'm another long time BMW/Porsche fan, and another person that just could not warm up to the e46. It's too heavy, and feels it. I've had a 996 C2 with suspension, and felt even that to be superior to the e46. The e46 M3 I think is an immensely capable car, but it's not fun or involving. It is the more comfortable car though, I'll give it that.

Alas, after going back and forth for a while, my last e36 M3/sedan is for sale (I've owned 5 of them), and I'm shopping for another C2, or a GT3 if I find a decent deal on one.
Wow FIVE E36 M3/4-doors! You really liked that version huh? I've slow-lapped an SMG E46 M3 when they first came out. I didn't like them at all on track. The E36 M3 is more capable, but is still porky at 3200 lbs. My FD Rx7 with 2750 lb wet weight and 300 rwhp, was a rocket, but had heat and engine issues (fragile). GT3 hopefully will be a solid, fast, fun track/touring machine.

Originally Posted by Backmarker
I went from e36 m3 (two of them) as regular track cars

The gt3 is very different in its track handling, it took me a full seaosn just to get the hang of the dynamics

That said it is a car that is made for the track. the M3 is a street sedan that has minor tuning. The GT3 is a world class track car.

BTW the e46 m3 is a crappy choice for track use, it's overweight, understeers and eats brakes. The e36 is a better choice for the marque.
Can you elaborate on the dynamics between E36 M3/4-door and GT3? My M3 sedan is square setup wheels/tires (8.5s + 235/40-17 AD08s), stock suspended, with braided steel brake hoses, Motul, Shark, Dinan V1 airbox, Borla.

Interesting review article on 996 GT3 vs E46 M3 (SMG). http://www.roadfly.com/2004-porsche-...ck-review.html

Last edited by SleepRM3; 11-30-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I adore e36 M3 Sedans, I think it's one of the best dual purpose cars, but I seldom have a need for the extra doors (and I prefer the 4 door's looks, and it's image and like that they're pretty rare), nor do I have the room for multiple cars, so that seals the deal for me. Funny thing is, I'd always thought I'd be moving to an e46 from the e36, but after driving several, instructing in them, etc. I can honestly say that I like the e36 platform better. I feel like one of those old men missing a few teeth blabbing on about how "they don't make them like they used to", and the e46 IS faster, and it IS more capable, but I just don't like them... Did I mention I adore what they look like? Here's mine w/the bike racks last week:
Old 11-30-2009, 04:48 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

I adore e36 M3 Sedans, I think it's one of the best dual purpose cars, but I seldom have a need for the extra doors (and I prefer the 4 door's looks, and it's image and like that they're pretty rare), nor do I have the room for multiple cars, so that seals the deal for me. Funny thing is, I'd always thought I'd be moving to an e46 from the e36, but after driving several, instructing in them, etc. I can honestly say that I like the e36 platform better. I feel like one of those old men missing a few teeth blabbing on about how "they don't make them like they used to", and the e46 IS faster, and it IS more capable, but I just don't like them... Did I mention I adore what they look like? Here's mine w/the bike racks last week:
Sweet! I like the 4-door E36 M3s too. I like your Alpine White color! Enjoy. I plan to keep mine, and would the GT3 as the track/touring machine, while the M3/4-door stays as daily driver.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Can you elaborate on the dynamics between E36 M3/4-door and GT3? My M3 sedan is square setup wheels/tires (8.5s + 235/40-17 AD08s), stock suspended, with braided steel brake hoses, Motul, Shark, Dinan V1 airbox, Borla.
I don't know exactly what you want to know about the two cars but I think I can help out since I have a GT3 and have lots of seat time in E36s.

The GT3 in stock form is a lot different in dynamics to a E36. First the engine being in the rear causes the car to respond differently to turn in and power down. The brakes on the GT3 make the M3 brakes feel like they are from a Honda Civic. The way the GT3 comes out of the corner and is geared is what separates it from most of the cars out there. It is amazing. It is like it is meant to be on track. The GT3 is one of the few street cars I have driven that is very similar to driving my World Challenge Touring car on track. It goes faster in a straight line but it does everything else just about the same.

The M3 is a great car on the track and the street. You can drive it very easily on the street. It won't do anything sudden to scare you. The Gt3 is a little bit different. YOu do have to pay a little bit of attention to it on the street. It won't do anything crazy but it still requires a little bit more brain power to drive it. The M3 will ride about as rough as the GT3. The only difference is the GT3 is lower and it will scrub the front nose.

The way I usually tell people about the GT3 to M3 comparison is like this. The M3 is a great car. It invokes a lot of fun and inspiration every time you drive it. It is cheap on the wallet and easy to drive. It doesn't do anything unpredictable. It is the girl you marry or bring home mom.

The GT3 on the other hand is the very similar to the M3 with one exception. It will do whatever you ask of it and then some. It is like having the girl next door that is a freak in the sack. You rush home just to see what she is up to. Everytime you take her for a spin there is something new that you discover.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:28 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
I don't know exactly what you want to know about the two cars but I think I can help out since I have a GT3 and have lots of seat time in E36s.

The GT3 in stock form is a lot different in dynamics to a E36. First the engine being in the rear causes the car to respond differently to turn in and power down. The brakes on the GT3 make the M3 brakes feel like they are from a Honda Civic. The way the GT3 comes out of the corner and is geared is what separates it from most of the cars out there. It is amazing. It is like it is meant to be on track. The GT3 is one of the few street cars I have driven that is very similar to driving my World Challenge Touring car on track. It goes faster in a straight line but it does everything else just about the same.

The M3 is a great car on the track and the street. You can drive it very easily on the street. It won't do anything sudden to scare you. The Gt3 is a little bit different. YOu do have to pay a little bit of attention to it on the street. It won't do anything crazy but it still requires a little bit more brain power to drive it. The M3 will ride about as rough as the GT3. The only difference is the GT3 is lower and it will scrub the front nose.

The way I usually tell people about the GT3 to M3 comparison is like this. The M3 is a great car. It invokes a lot of fun and inspiration every time you drive it. It is cheap on the wallet and easy to drive. It doesn't do anything unpredictable. It is the girl you marry or bring home mom.

The GT3 on the other hand is the very similar to the M3 with one exception. It will do whatever you ask of it and then some. It is like having the girl next door that is a freak in the sack. You rush home just to see what she is up to. Everytime you take her for a spin there is something new that you discover.
Probably the best advice I'll get from this forum. Thanks, Seth! Has James Clay succumbed to the "freaky girl next door" (ha ha)?
Old 11-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Probably the best advice I'll get from this forum. Thanks, Seth! Has James Clay succumbed to the "freaky girl next door" (ha ha)?

LOL, he hasn't succumbed yet. We did have a little fun with the new BimmerWorld Tweaked E92 M3 and the GT3 at Road Atlanta earlier this year. Coming out of Turn 7 with each of us going pretty good. I pulled him down the back straight by about 5 car lengths. Basically I think that was the weight of the GT3 and the better gearing. Otherwise I think they would have been more even.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:54 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
LOL, he hasn't succumbed yet. We did have a little fun with the new BimmerWorld Tweaked E92 M3 and the GT3 at Road Atlanta earlier this year. Coming out of Turn 7 with each of us going pretty good. I pulled him down the back straight by about 5 car lengths. Basically I think that was the weight of the GT3 and the better gearing. Otherwise I think they would have been more even.
Yes, big reason I'm looking at the GT3. The E92 M3 is heavier still at 3750 lbs!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree 100%...before I bought my 996, I test drove several M3 E46, the driver involvement with the car is quite different. I heard so much good things about the M3 that is why I went for a few test drives and still can't get over the P car.
At the end of the day its all about your preference.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, in need to chime in here. I've had 3 E36 M3s (one 2 d, 1 4d and one racecar), 1 E46, and 1 GT3

The e46M3 was the best daily driver I've ever had, it was a pleasure on the raod. On track it was terrible, I couldn't get it to turn even with 275's in front and -3 deg camber!

The e36 M3 is my favorite, excellent chassis. Great track car if you want to put a little work into it,but If you want to be competitive in it racing, expect to throw quite a bit of money into it. And with the 4 door you can put 4 tires in the back seat! Great for arrive and drive.

The GT3 or "girl next door" is my favorite car that I have ever owned. SUCKS on the street! I daily drove the car for a a week and several nose spoilers I bought a Benz for the street. The GT3 is a track car out of the box, it is not a street car, although some drive it on the street. You can track it out of the box and it's fast, throw some money at it and she goes faster/handles better the closer you get to cup specs.

I love my GT3 and miss my M3s...

Quick Reply: GT3 vs. M3 comparisons???