Sponsored by:

Suspension on GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 03:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,784 Likes on 2,371 Posts

while driving a GT3 on local street will not kill me, it's definitely NOT comfortable.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:17 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Viken
FWIW, a ride is not enough to make such an assessment. You need some time behind the wheel. I don't know where in NY you are, but I have heard from many that roads are quite bad in NY city. Most people there even considered the factory sport suspension (M030) on the Carrera too stiff.
I live in Rockland and the roads are bad but my business is in Jersey and the roads are okay there. I don't think that driving it in NYC (Manhattan) is a good idea because of the parking. In the not too distant future I will probably move my business to Greenwich, CT and the traffic can be very bad during rush hour. The problem is that the GT3 might not be there when I get rid of my m3 but worst case I will return it to the dealer I am getting the car from.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:36 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Well, you know there are many people who buy these cars for the wrong reasons. They are the ones who return them. Remember this 7-page thread?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/92500-gt3-traded-in-after-1-week.html
The salesman told me that the suspension was ajustable so if the ride is too harsh you can make it softer. Is there more to it than that when it comes to street driving? If it was so simple why return the car after a week?
Old 03-18-2005, 05:46 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyBiz
The salesman told me that the suspension was ajustable so if the ride is too harsh you can make it softer. Is there more to it than that when it comes to street driving? If it was so simple why return the car after a week?
There is no adjustment that would affect the ride quality. Just the ride height. Your salesman is misinformed.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:02 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Viken I was just making fun of myself. Dont tell anyone but I spent a half hour at work reading the manual
I figured out the auto oil checker. When I had it smogged me and the smog guy just stared at the motor trying to figure out where the coolant went. I kind of chuckled at the sight we must have been.
I knew everything about the 993 Before I got it. Never looked at the manual. BUT this one I
read the manual
Old 03-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,099 Likes on 648 Posts

No nonsense...I dig it

Glad Paul asked before me

Now excuse me, I'm going to the garage to get my manual
Old 03-18-2005, 10:56 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Me and John know better!!
Water!!?? Water is what fits in the cup holder
Old 03-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

mooty, my own feeling is that it is not the car that is uncomfortable but the roads that cause it to be. Depending on the roads, the car can probably be uncomfortable but, so far, the car is the limiting factor since poor roads atleast on the east coast go hand in hand with horrible ramps, parking situations, huge potholes, etc.

OldGuy, just play with that lower left stalk. A few clicks and you will intuitively figure out the oil level. Of course there is always the dipstick as on our previous cars but since we are now old people, let us live up to our age.

BTW, I was told that the GT3 would not have a dipstick but mine does! Is that normal? Old habits die hard so yes, I have poked around.

MoneyBiz, as for ride quality, I concur with the consensus here. More specifically, I would NOT be driving the car in NYC. The main reason is not so much the possible discomfiture but NYC simply is not friendly to this car given the ramps, potholes and general stop and go traffic as well as unavoidable parking lot issues. Note the C in NYC and I mean the three more crowded boroughs. My opinion is based on driving cars extensively in NYC and in even more in cities much worse than NYC. The GT3 is fine in my Southern NJ area with some caution for potholes especially just after winter and I am up for taking it into Northern NJ suburbs and many other places but I am not taking it into Philadelphia except perhaps when I pass "over" it.

I have taken my 993TT into PHL on a couple of occasions and that car was stiffer and more uncomfortable than the GT3 but its clearance is slightly better due to shorter front overhang. Basically the comfort level is surprisingly good if you come from a 993TT with modified suspension or even an older M3 (certainly not comparing the all too comfortable current E46 M3); it is more a function of whether the GT3 can withstand NYC without any damage unless some damage is okay for your wallet (different strokes for different wallets - not rare in NYC).

Also, adjustable does not mean adjustable stiffness. You may perhaps feel some difference if ride height is adjusted but that may not be much. Essentially, if you get the GT3, look into using it after your office move when the only issue may be the clutch in stop and go traffic. The clutch action is not that bad at all and better, in fact, than the E46 M3 with its clutch delay valve and consequent strange action.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,784 Likes on 2,371 Posts

mooty, my own feeling is that it is not the car that is uncomfortable but the roads that cause it to be.
____________-
absolutely, on fwy the car is smooth, on cracked, pot hold roads, terrible.

my gt3 does have dip stick too.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ran
mooty, my own feeling is that it is not the car that is uncomfortable but the roads that cause it to be. Depending on the roads, the car can probably be uncomfortable but, so far, the car is the limiting factor since poor roads atleast on the east coast go hand in hand with horrible ramps, parking situations, huge potholes, etc.
Sure, the roads are a contributing factor. You can even drive a full race car to work and back if roads were smoother. But, given the fact that they're not, the suspension's role is even more important.

BTW, I was told that the GT3 would not have a dipstick but mine does! Is that normal? Old habits die hard so yes, I have poked around.
Perhaps you have missed previous discussions on this?

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=GT3+oil+level
Old 03-19-2005, 11:48 AM
bora
Racer

I am still looking for the engine on mine. My first thought was
that this car was one of them electric things.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:08 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, the stock suspension is a good compromise for the wide variety of US roads (from awful to smooth). The shortcomings show up very quickly if you track or autocross the car, and there's only so much you can impact by adjusting the sway bars. Moton CS, with the stock springs in my experience, provide a better ride quality than stock shocks, on ANY street surface, and improve the handling significantly, especially on bumpy corner entries and exits.

In addition you get the adjustability of bump and rebound for fine tuning the handling for your preferences. Add uprated springs in your flavor, and the handling becomes unreal, but you begin to sacrifice what ride comfort you had with the stock springs.

Robin
Old 03-20-2005, 04:26 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GTdrei,

What settings aree you using for the Motons? I use mine pretty much just for the track. I am seriuosly considering making thejump.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:06 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent done a track day yet, 5 or 6 Autocrosses. For street Front bump 3, rebound 3 Rear bump 3 rebound 4.
For Autocross Front bump 2 Rebound 4, rear bump 3, rebound 4 same works great.
Front sways are 2 from stiff, rears, one from stiff.

I suspect a good start for track would be more bump in front , increasing understeer & definitely stiffer sway bar.

I'm still learning the effects of adjustments on the CS, but small adjustments make big differences. After about 35 Autocross runs, I think I have a setting that I like.

Robin
Old 03-21-2005, 11:34 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

One of my customers looks like he is moving to Motons soon on his car. When he does, I plan to run his shocks on a dyno. While the GT3 does have stiffer springs, I think Porsche was trying for a stiffer ride and therefore they under dampened the shocks. If the dampers are valved properly, even very stiff springs will yield a compliant ride quality. I have installed much higher spring rates with Motons, and the ride was smoother than the GT3 (and way better on the track). I personally have Moton CSs in my car with 800/1200 springs, and on 90% of the streets I have less jarring than the GT3.

Last edited by viperbob; 03-21-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Suspension on GT3