Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 GT2 Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 01:28 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jgammak, you just might have an intelligence test on your hands. Be ready to jump and don't wait a second if the pros around here say its good...
Old 02-16-2005, 03:20 AM
craigsduc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a current GT2 owner, I must say it is interesting to see the comments from people who don,t own a GT2. I suppose I should bad mouth cars I don,t own like Macfly.....................who has always knocked GT2,s. Sorry Mac, I just think you should keep your GT3 and leave GT2,s for drivers like me who bought these cars for the challenge as they are seriously different and more difficult to drive than a GT3, which obviously is a great car too. I have only driven GT3,s on the street so my in depth knowledge is limited but there are those amongst us that own both...........................and I think they all have stated that the GT2 is a seriously more capable car. I drove a 96 tt the other day and have since decided to keep my GT2 as going that far backwards in performance is just not possible. I might consider an X 50 to solve the rear seat need but other than that, my GT2 seems to be solidifying price wise to a more proper level and enjoys residing in my garage. Sorry Mac but I think you need stronger credentials before you bash the GT2. Someday you may own one and will become a believer too but you had better hurry as they seem to be going up......................as they should for there currently is no replacement! IMHO of course.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:19 PM
kwb
Advanced

Having driven both and having owned several 911's over the past 15 years - the GT2 is a completely different car compared to the 911tt or the GT3 (they are all great in their own way). It may look similar from the outside - but if you took the car completely apart and compared part numbers - there a more part numbers that are different than the same compared to the GT3. The GT2 is the GT3 on steriods - and anyone who claims otherwise has never driven a GT2.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:44 AM
healeyg
Instructor

Originally Posted by kwb
Having driven both and having owned several 911's over the past 15 years - the GT2 is a completely different car compared to the 911tt or the GT3 (they are all great in their own way). It may look similar from the outside - but if you took the car completely apart and compared part numbers - there a more part numbers that are different than the same compared to the GT3. The GT2 is the GT3 on steriods - and anyone who claims otherwise has never driven a GT2.
or has driven a GT3 at the track
Old 02-17-2005, 01:32 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Craigsduc, me thinks you take the truth too personally, reread my post, I'm simply stating what I see all around me!

Now if I wanted to knock the GT2 I'd say something quite different, like "It's an overblown car with no use except autobahn blasting built to make a large profit while fluffing up the egos of those who must have the biggest and the most powerful 911!."

If I'd said that you could say that I was knocking the car, but honestly, I wouldn't say such a thing, I love cars, and celebrate everyones enthusiasm and enjoyment of them. Besides, why kick the 'widow maker' when it's already down and kicked to the kerb by the resale market.

;-)
Old 02-17-2005, 06:54 AM
kwb
Advanced

Originally Posted by macfly
Craigsduc, me thinks you take the truth too personally, reread my post, I'm simply stating what I see all around me!

Now if I wanted to knock the GT2 I'd say something quite different, like "It's an overblown car with no use except autobahn blasting built to make a large profit while fluffing up the egos of those who must have the biggest and the most powerful 911!."

""If I'd said that you could say that I was knocking the car, but honestly, I wouldn't say such a thing, I love cars, and celebrate everyones enthusiasm and enjoyment of them. Besides, why kick the 'widow maker' when it's already down and kicked to the kerb by the resale market. ""
The GT2 requires a more experienced driver to realize the full potential of the car and most people who purchase Porsche's are not professional race car drivers (including me).....

And yes - if I couldn't afford the GT2 - I would have probably purchased the GT3 (a great car too)... But I liked the HP and the lower production numbers...

See you in the rearview........

Last edited by kwb; 02-17-2005 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Time to weigh in here since I own and track both. The GT2 is definitely more challenging to drive fast when compared to the GT3. The amazing ramp up of power when the RPMs get over 4000 is awe (and caution) inspiring. On my home track the GT2 is quicker without any doubt. It takes longer to learn to drive it fast because acceleration out of a corner takes a lot of finesse. In the GT3 I can mash the throttle - in the '2' it's a much more delicate application of throttle.

That being said, I use my GT3 more these days because our PCA region has about 25 percent of the GT3's in Canada and all of them are on track. Nothing beats playing with a group of competent drivers who are driving the same car! At sticker, a GT2 is overpriced and a GT3 is a bargain. The market has taken care of the disparities and a low miles GT2 is now fairly priced and worth every penny. Be sure to allow for the change out of the ceramic rotors if the car is to be tracked.

Regards,

Best,
Old 02-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

now that it's GT2 characteristics under discussion- there were great long threads on the subject back in the GT2 hayday, about 18-12 months ago. try a search, many of those threads were funny and enlightening.

we've said it all then, but i still prefer the GT2, having owned 3 of each, 2's and 3's

Quick Reply: 2002 GT2 Question