Sponsored by:

GT3 in Grand AM Cup GT??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 03:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts
Default GT3 in Grand AM Cup GT??

so, whats this i hear that the GT3 cup car now, (was SGS class, and was the Cup car, as it runs in the supercup series, not the motorsport upgraded engine version that runs SpeedGT) Is now going to run in Grand Am Cup in the GT class. However, in order to run with the ALMS GT type GT3RS cars like the Blue Kevin Buckler machine, it will now have to be retrofited with a stock cup car engine?????? so, all the GT3RS have to put A cup car engine in their RSR's?????? It also says in the Grand Am rules that the Cup cars can put on the RSR body flares. the only thing making the Cup car faster for this upgrade in class, would be the use of real slicks vs the SGS DOT tires (I think i remember them running on DOTs). In the Grand AM rule book for 05, it clearly states that both the GT3RSR and GT3 will run the stock PMNA supercup engine.
Can this be right???
anyone know ?

Plus, if the porsches are brought down in GT, what about the ferarris and others in the GT class. the GT3RSR was hardly dominating by that much!
certainly, it would be easier for the SGS vet to be brought up to speed vs the stock'ish GT3 supercup car when making the transision to GT Grand AM cup class.

MK
Old 01-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm not familiar with all the technicalities, but I saw the TRG Grand Am cars for '05 when I was up there a few weeks ago and they're Cup cars for this season (not RSR's). I asked about it and was told that the rules had changed this year and they no longer could run the RSR's.

It was great to see the virgin white cars, as they had just arrived and still had the Lufthansa tags/stickers etc on them. Really great to see them so raw.

Quick Reply: GT3 in Grand AM Cup GT??