Sponsored by:

Heard this suspension noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 02:24 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris:

Since the car is new I would take it to your dealer to have everything checked over.

Kam
Old 12-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Kam, I'll be in the area tomorrow, so that might be pretty easy to do.

[Just talked with Eric at Brandywine and I will drop by tomorrow after my meeting for a listen. Good thought!]
Old 12-13-2004, 02:52 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Let them get their hands dirty while you can (before warranty expires)!
Old 12-13-2004, 05:53 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

As far as the swaybar getting loose ie droplinks-6 of the 8 nuts were loose on mine. San Francisco has killer roads. Regards. Mike
Old 12-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Just got a call from the dealer. There was a nut missing on or near the sway bar the receptionist reports. I'll see if I can get more detail from the fellow who worked on it when I pick it up. Hard for me to understand how a loose sway bar could create the moaning sound I heard. Clunk I can understand--moan not.

Lesson #1- Pay attention to the issues you read about here--loose sway bars are a common issue!

Lesson #2- Check your sway bars.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:28 PM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine had loose sway bars too, but sounded like the typical clunk.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:51 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

There is no excuse for a new car to have a lose or lost nut!!!!

Where is the PORSCHE quallity????????????
Old 12-15-2004, 10:30 PM
gtdrei
Pro

There is no excuse for a new car to have a lose or lost nut!!!!

Where is the PORSCHE quallity????????????
Kam,

I felt the same way when my sway bars came loose. (they also came loose on my 996TT) But, bear in mind the unique nature of this car and suspension (very,very stiff for a road car). My theory is , if you negotiate very tight, and, or hilly slow turns, the torque loads on various suspension bits are very high. A few drops of locktite blue solve the problem. In my mind, there's lots of Porsche quality in the engine, gearbox and the overall suspension/chassis design and implementation.

Something here is taking the strain !

Robin
Old 12-15-2004, 11:30 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin Samms
Something here is taking the strain !
The frame!
Old 12-16-2004, 12:30 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

We just had a GT3 in the shop with 140 miles on it for a complete GT3 seat / rollbar setup. The car came in with one of the sway bar mounts completely loose (the locking collar was tightened up against the spring collar) and banging around making noise, and two of the others we not nearly tight enough and would have loosened up very soon.... I check all of these now on the GT3s that come into the shop as they either are not tight from the factory, or they loosen up very easily.

The mounts on the shocks are the exact same ones as on the PSS9s and Bilstein HDs for the 993s. As a matter of fact, a PSS9 set this week had the drop link mounts with the Porsche parts logo still on it (sanded and scratched a little though). These mounts are notorious in the 993 world for working loose. We actually engineer a pinch bolt into them for all of our customers before we sell or install the Bilsteins...
Old 12-16-2004, 01:57 AM
dld
Racer

Yep, that was my car! Viperbob beat me to the post. It was making a very noticeable clunking sound on the front right side, at first occasionally, and then on every teeny little bump. Clearly a warranty issue but Bob was kind enough to tighten it up for me. It's well worth doing a personal inspection on every new GT3; a sway bar come loose at speed would be a nasty affair.

Derek
Old 12-16-2004, 02:03 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Robin,

That's an awesome picture!!

Phokaioglaukos,

Metal pieces rubbing together can make a moaning sound...
Old 12-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Default Noise resolved

Picked up the car at the dealer this morning and drove it in to work (first time--I usually take the train). It may be my imgination, but the steering seemed even tighter than before. The cause noted on my slip was "Found sway bar drop link missing nut holding it to swaybar. Replaced nut and checked all other suspension fasteners. Now OK." I asked Eric if they used loctite on the fasteners (blue or otherwise) and he said that they did not--that the nut is eccentric and snugs down well. I'll see how it goes. Just over 650 miles now.

On the way out of the dealer the car threw an ABS error code. I turned around and came back. Eric speculated that in going down the steep ramp to the road (at an angle to spare my air dam) I might have tapped the brakes when a wheel was in the air. They read the code and indeed that's what it was. The ECU reported: "GT3 ABS 5 Fault memory 4201 Speed sensor, front right Signal implausible not present." After they cleared the code I used even more care getting out onto the road.

The loose sway bar fasteners is a known issue and I now know better what to listen to. Some of the sounds I heard must NOT have been right as the nut was loosening. The car is tight again. The service at the dealer, clear explanations, friendly staff and a loaner with no questions asked, was first rate. (The seat heaters on the Cayenne at the #5 setting could roast a marshmellow!)

Happy again.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:54 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

The ABS issue is common.

It happens everytime I go to my local Wawa. The ABS system will reset after a few hundred yards after the engine is restarted.

Kam
Old 12-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Kam,

The ABS error code reset when they took it into the service bay.

Quick Reply: Heard this suspension noise?