JS
Race Car

Received 530 Likes on 349 Posts

I still rather drive the GT3.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:41 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have not seen the stohr, but have been on-track with sr3s many times. their level of grip on a track like big willow is an order of magnitude greater than any street porsche. they can pick any line they want--inside or outside--to pass me going into and thru t8 and probably t9 if i make room...
Old 12-07-2004, 06:51 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by graham_mitchell
Ummm, that depends on which Radical you were referring to.

The SR3 Turbo is 320HP!!

The soon-to-be-released SR8 will be 360hp+ !
While these are very inpressive cars, there are a few things to realize...
The prices are through the roof. Radicals tend to be expensive vs. the Stohr and when you look at the exchange rate, it get really silly. The turbo is probably near $100k and I imagine the SR-8 will be over that.
Neither car is legal for SCCA and there is no other 'real' racing for those cars. (You can race NASA, but there is no one to race against with those cars).
On many tracks, the Stohr will still be faster. Only on high HP tracks will those cars excel.

All0in-all though, they are very cool cars.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:53 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Kurves
Well, it was impressive!

TRhe guy had been running over at the big track and came over to SOW to run a couple of laps - he must have known the organizers.

I watch my mirrors well but this guy caught me so fast I never noticed him until he went by!
If you have not had a ride in a Radical SR-3, you should really try to get one. There are places where street cars brake and a sports racer is upshifting at the same place. As you enter the first corners, as a passanger, you KNOW you are going to die because the driver forgot there is a corner coming up. Then you slow and zip around the corner at crazy speeds.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:23 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
If you have not had a ride in a Radical SR-3, you should really try to get one. There are places where street cars brake and a sports racer is upshifting at the same place. As you enter the first corners, as a passanger, you KNOW you are going to die because the driver forgot there is a corner coming up. Then you slow and zip around the corner at crazy speeds.
well, funny you should mention that because I plan to be doing just that this weekend at Spring Mountain. Bothing riding in as well driving.

I'm really looking forward to it!

-Kevin
Old 12-07-2004, 09:09 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
The Stohr is usually around 5 seconds per lap faster than a Radical SR-3. Should be able to run under 1:20 at Big Willow with a driver like me behind the wheel - 1:17 or better with a real hotshoe.
I love Sunday's modesty. The guy finishes top 10 in the NATIONAL FREAKIN' CHAMPIONSHIP and still types that crap. He has a DAS system that makes the space shuttle look like a remote control car. And he holds lap records at some tracks in his Stohr. When are you going to wake up Sunday and call a spade a spade?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:47 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

well, funny you should mention that because I plan to be doing just that this weekend at Spring Mountain. Both riding in as well driving. I'm really looking forward to it! -Kevin

Don't rub it in, I just got confirmed on a big shoot this w/e, so work stops play once more! :-((
Kevin, you'll love the Radicals, they are a blast, even if the Stohr is a superior machine the Radical is an aweful lot of fun. Have a great weekend, and don't forget to take some pictures. The forecast is perfect, you lucky lads, I'm so bummed I'm not there too!
Old 12-07-2004, 11:21 PM
InterSpool
Advanced

Are you an adult film director?
Old 12-08-2004, 12:19 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

nope, wrong on both counts
Old 12-08-2004, 12:38 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 944 Likes on 575 Posts

The Stohr is the car to have at the SCCA runoffs- very impressive. DSR has changed recently from weird looking homebuilts to these VERY high tech race cars, like the Speas (sp?) and Radical. And don't make fun of Spec Miata, that's what I race! Just wish it had the power of the GT3!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 12:57 AM
prg
Pro

Originally Posted by 4 Kurves
well, funny you should mention that because I plan to be doing just that this weekend at Spring Mountain. Bothing riding in as well driving.

I'm really looking forward to it!

-Kevin
Are you running in the school there? If so, I'd appreciate it if you'd post about your experience. I've thought about doing that school in the radicals. Do they run on slicks for the school? Thought it might be a fun addition to a las vegas trip.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:34 AM
vegasgolf98
Racer

I'll see you at Spring Mtn. Kevin, it will be to meet you.

Philip

Last edited by vegasgolf98; 12-08-2004 at 02:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-08-2004, 03:03 AM
InterSpool
Advanced

I thought Spec Miata racing was cool until I started watching videos of it. Seems like the guys are just out there playing bumper cars. I've never seen so many collisions in my life.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:49 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I'm not disrespecting the Spec Miatas by any means!
Until this year, they were my constant nemesis any time I went to a DE in my over powered TT. I'm only now able to get by 'em. I know, I know......At least I'm improving.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:50 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by prg
Are you running in the school there? If so, I'd appreciate it if you'd post about your experience. I've thought about doing that school in the radicals. Do they run on slicks for the school? Thought it might be a fun addition to a las vegas trip.
No, it's a privately arranged day. I'm undecided about driving the Radical (it's expensive!) but there will be plenty of Radicals there so I'll do my best to bum a ride.

The rest of the weekend I'll just have to suffer with my GT-3.

-Kevin

Quick Reply: How to blow by a GT-3 with ease...