Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Yellow Keyed - Repaint most of car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 04:07 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Yellow Keyed - Repaint most of car?

So it turns out that my SY GT3 was keyed on both sides by some vandal prix last night. Disturbing to say the least. The unfortunate thing is that the scratches are quite deep, definetely can feel a ridge when running finger over them.

I took the car to a reputable body shop in my area and they told me that because of the color of the car, it would be virtually impossible to match the paint and just paint the doors and front fenders where the damage is. Essentially I was told that most of the car except the roof and rear need to be repainted - a 15 day job or so.

Does anyone have experience with SY and paint damage and does this make sense? This is the bodyshop used by champion porsche in my area and they deal with all high end marques, so I doubt that I am getting the runaround .. but just wanted opinions.

Deeply pissed off ...
Old 11-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I can not offer any help... but damn that sucks.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:01 PM
mds
Pro

Sorry to hear this. Speed yellow can be matched perfectly, so only the damaged panels will need to be repainted, but you need to find a good shop that uses factory paint. Talk to your dealer, they may be able to recommend someone. Here in the Bay Area, I recommend Mathews-Carlsen Body Works.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:05 PM
tewino
Intermediate

That truly sucks. I feel your pain. What were the circumstances?

Tom
Old 11-17-2004, 05:11 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good body shops have advanced paint matching systems. Even as cars age, the exact factory paint formula will not match due to the age of the existing factory paint on the car. That is where the scanner comes in to get the perfect match with the existing paint. Find another body shop and fast. These guys sound like they want to take you for a ride. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. As Mds has said, only the panels with the scratches need to be painted. Ask your dealer which body shop they use...
Old 11-17-2004, 05:13 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the body shop is doing you a favor (will help with your Insurance Co.), I would trust their advice. Any future discrepancy arising from aging will be avoided.

I would want tham to paint the whole car. However, that is not to say it can't be matched...but will it stay matched?
Old 11-17-2004, 05:36 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

I can do you a favor and be your hitman to make sure these a-holes get what's coming to them I hate vandals and I'm really sorry about your car.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:27 PM
doody
Advanced

total suckage. sorry to hear

your insurance company isn't liketly to cover a whole repaint regardless of what you think needs to be done. those ain't cheap.

g/l.

doody.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:21 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Jeez, I feel sick. What a great philosophy of life some scum have.

The same happened to a friend once who had a custom paint to order 911 in a special metallic that was matched using the extra paint that was supplied with the car by Porsche.

Hard to imagine that a non-metallic paint can't be matched in this day and age of computer matched paint and cross coding of dyes....but what do I know?
Old 11-17-2004, 07:47 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

Thx for the advice. The shop (stuttgart international in fort lauderdale) was recommended by my dealer - Champion Porsche. So they seem to be reputable. Regarding insurance, they said they work directly with my insurer state farm and that it should be no problem to have them cover the required paint job.

It does seem strange though that the paint can't be matched using the factory stuff - the estimator mentioned something about porsche using green and black in the SY paint making it very difficult to get a correct match after the fact. I guess if insurance will cover it I should prob go with their recommendation .. at least I can get rid of those pesky swirl marks that have developed in the past year of hand washing the car.

we'll see what happens in the next few days
Old 11-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm very sorry for the damage to your car, luckily for me a similar incident resulted in no paint damage.
My son had washed my SY and then I took it to the mall that has a quiet parking lot. Someone obviously thought the car was WAAAAAAY too clean because they poured hot chocolate or a cafe latte all over the rear fenders and rear wing and into the engine compartment.

In my case it washed off but for you the key gaouges are the sign of a really sick and jealous mind.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MDS is right. Find someone who paints Rolls, Lambos, etc. They can paint it and you will be the only one that knows for sure.

They are out there.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:40 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

If it was my money fixing the car;
you only have damage on doors and front fenders so they can be painted with out effecting the rest of the body, I believe 100% that I would only paint those panels and it would match perfectly.
If I was a body shop;
I would sell you a total paint job.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:20 PM
HooliganX
Racer

I am sorry to hear about your car, people who do that a scum.

Can't help with SY, but last Christmas eve my wife's XC90 was keyed on the door and front fender while we were visiting relatives. Nice X-mas present from some jerk eh?

Anyway, the color is metallic black and the body shop matched it perfectly. They painted only the door and fender. A year later and you can not see any difference at all.

Hope the repair works out with your car, I can't even imagine how pissed off I would be if they got mine.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:37 PM
KLZ
Racer

Lightbulb

Sorry to hear that... I've seen professional detailers touch up a keyed door on a 993, they buffed off all the excess touch up paint applied, the outcome looks really good, I personally do not like repainted parts on my car, so not to repaint if possible.

Quick Reply: Speed Yellow Keyed - Repaint most of car?