Sponsored by:

Alignment in Nor Cal

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 06:45 PM
RaiderDoc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment in Nor Cal

It seems that alignment is important for the GT3 especially if you plan to track it. It also appears from this forum that the alignment may not be up to factory specs when you buy the car. My question is does anyone know of a great mechanic in Northern california for Porsches and to set the alignment correctly. Also how often does the alignment need to be checked and what does this type of service run.
Thanks
Old 11-05-2004, 06:53 PM
dirtdoc
Advanced

The Racers Group at Infineon.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:26 PM
mds
Pro

I use RennWerks in Mountain View. They do a good job. Alignment runs around $150, corner balancing another $100. Every six months is often enough IMO, the settings do tend to drift but not that much, unless you go off or hit a big pothole or something.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:07 PM
dld
Racer

Jerry Woods in Campbell did my 911SC. Not fast or cheap, but very precise and it's felt incredible ever since. For less fussy alignments (ie the 993) I've used Custom Alignment in Mountain View/Sunnyvale.

dld
Old 11-06-2004, 01:29 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I know everyone hates the dealers, but...

I had mine done at Sonnen in Mill Valley and I think they did a great job. They've got a high-end Beissbarth machine and one guy who does all the alignments (3 hours per car). Since I wanted different settings than the stock specs (more negative camber up front), I had to talk with the shop foreman for 30-40 minutes when I dropped the car off so they would set up the car just the way I wanted. It's rare that you see that type of customer service and attention to detail these days at a dealership. Of course, you pay for this...$250 (less 10% if you tell them you're a PCA member).

If you haven't had the alignment done yet, you'll notice a big difference in the way it drives right away. The settings from the factory are way off. In fact, I sent a letter to PCNA telling them that this is unacceptable for a new 6-figure car and that I expect to be reimbursed for having to pay to get their error corrected (we'll see how that works out...).
Old 11-06-2004, 11:22 AM
goplay
Instructor

Rennwerks uses an alignment machine. TRG and Jerry Woods use strings and measuring tape.

Some people think strings is accurate enough, but personally I prefer the alignment machine.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:46 AM
vegasgolf98
Racer

TRG won LeMans, but maybe an alignment machine is better? Unfortunately it depends on the tech. Don't be fooled that an alignment machine is the solution.

Holger - I had the dealer do my alignment at 900 miles (laser alignment machine) and it was on PCNA because it was so far off from factory. I then had my mechanic (the crew chief of Peterson Motorsports-who won LeMans the last two years) do a track alignment and he said it was still way off from factory specs. He spent over nine hours on it. Cost around $300-400. Bargin.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:39 PM
goplay
Instructor

I agree, it does come down to the tech. Furthermore, the alignment machine needs to be properly calibrated. By the way, I use TRG for arrive and drive, so I am pretty familiar with their SOP.

That said, everything being equal (ie competant tech, etc) I have found I have preferred the alignments done on an alignment machine.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:47 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Two of the best.

Bob Brooks (Viperbob) at DEVEK (650-743-6801) or Tony at tcdesignfab.com. Tony did the alignment and corner balance on my RUF. He used to race, professionally? Bob is also a Porsche DE instructor. Both are great car guys.

No affiliation with with either, just a very happy customer.

CP
Old 11-08-2004, 02:42 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,158 Likes on 633 Posts
Thumbs up

I was going to say DEVEK...I know by my past posts it seems that I work for them, but I have to say, I have NEVER had such great customer service from anyone.

Here is an example;
This past friday 11/5/04 I was driving up (from San Diego) to do a school @ Infineion, I noticed that there was a vibration coming from the rear of the car. I called up DEVEK to see what time they would be open till to see if they could possiably balance my wheels. They closed at 5 on Friday, but they would check. I got a call from Bob, he said he would stay as long as possiable for me to come in. I relized when he called me he was actually calling me from his home, yes, Bob drove in from his home at 7:30 pm (like 45 mins away) just to come in and Balance my wheels.

I am a customer for life!!!

Last edited by cosmos; 11-08-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Kush
Intermediate

I have to second a "perfect" alignment at Sonnen. The alignment machinery is what is used at the factory and it made a big difference in the ride. You have to tell them or anyone else if you want track or street orientation as far as the camber etc.
I've used TRG for cars in the past and although I'm still a good customer,
you don't always get the guy who does the le mans cars. Also, dedicated street cars are certainly an RSR.

Cheers

Kush

Quick Reply: Alignment in Nor Cal