Sponsored by:

RS Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 12:41 AM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RS Suspension

Now that the GT3RS suspension is available from Carnewal as a complete kit, how many of you are considering it ? Has anyone actually installed the kit ? Is the cost worth the improvement ? Pros, cons, any comments ?

Robin
Old 11-04-2004, 01:49 AM
joe hayes
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering the kit from carnewal and just today I wrote asking if the mounting points of the suspension would change because I thought that was one of the big differences between the two cars. My exact question to Gert was would I have an identical suspension to an RS with his kit. He has not answered yet. If the suspensions would be the same the kit while pricey would be worth it. If there are still differences I would have to reconsider. I am going to buy the light flywheel kit. Another change I am considering is going to a lower gear (higher ratio gear).The short tracks I am on in the Chicago area top out at about 125 on the back straights so I would rather have another gear that tops out at 140 or so but gets there much quicker-any thoughts and has anyone else done this?
Old 11-04-2004, 02:36 PM
gtdrei
Pro

The differences between the two cars were described in detail in the "RS" article in Excellence. I lopaned mine out, but, I'm getting it back today. The mounting points are definitely diffferent. Another interesting detail is the actual position of the front brakes on both cars seems to differ.
A result of the different hubs ? I guess, the question is whether the upgrade is worth the cost.

Robin
Old 11-04-2004, 02:57 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin Samms
Another interesting detail is the actual position of the front brakes on both cars seems to differ.

A result of the different hubs ? I guess, the question is whether the upgrade is worth the cost.

Robin
Robin: I think the front brake/caliper mounting difference, if any, is attributable to ceramics vs steel. But, I think you may be comparing different sides, resulting in an illusionary difference....

Old 11-04-2004, 03:21 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jack, there is a difference in caliper mounting positions, it's no illusion.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Yup, the calipers are lower on the RS - lower center of gravity I assume.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Yup, the calipers are lower on the RS - lower center of gravity I assume.
wow, they really went all out on this one...

i wonder if you can order the RS (in the EU of course) without all that gaudy stickering/etc.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MetalSolid
Jack, there is a difference in caliper mounting positions, it's no illusion.

Thanks, Noel -- upon further inspection I see the difference.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:37 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

The mounting points are definitely diffferent.
This has been a continuing they are-they aren't discussion,
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...spension+GT3rs
so can we please get some images of the mounting point differences, because if they really are different then I'd guess that the RS suspension kit will likely not be such a great plus on the regular car. I'd love to know for sure, because the cost of the upgrade is a year or two's worth of track days.

I suspect, and I've said this many times before, that the huge gains in handling and feel that the RS has are very likely due to it never being driven on the MPS2's, which all the tests and comparisons of the regualr GT3 were done on.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:57 PM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

The RS is driven on corsa tyres, do you believe that the GT3 behaves better with these tyres?
Old 11-05-2004, 05:14 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MatroxMGA
The RS is driven on corsa tyres, do you believe that the GT3 behaves better with these tyres?
I have the same tyre as the RS, the Corsa System, and I can tell you the difference is night & day. The MPS2 is junk whereas the Corsa System is the best street tyre I've ever tested. IMO.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:38 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread seems appropriate to supplement the discussion.
RS
Old 11-05-2004, 08:43 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As quoted by Journoman...ride comfort of stock GT3 and RS. Sounds like the RS is a more comfortable ride, yet handles better.

"We have been working hard on the RS here in the UK. The issue of importance is geometry not ride quality.

Were you aware that the standard spring rate and shock rate of the RS is SOFTER than those of the standard GT3? The car was built to allow homologation of near zero rate bumpsteer for the AMLmans and FIA GT series and has resulted in unpresidented competition success. I have driven 5000 track miles in the RS on
different set ups. it has always been substantially quicker than standard GT3's

Perhaps you have all been driving imposters!!!!"

Journoman

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...threadid=16693
Old 11-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

The rear spring has the same part number as normal GT3.

If I read the Porsche technical bulletins correctly, the mounting points are only different at the cast alloy hub carrier (i.e. relation of control arm mounting points to hub wheel center) NOT at the actual mounting points located on the body sheetmetal or it's cast alloy central mounting points.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:37 PM
DCLee
Pro

What you have to ask yourself before springing (sorry about that... ) for the RS suspension is this:

Is your goal to re-create an identical RS clone? In that case, start buying $40-$50,000 in parts, from the wind-up window handles to the lightweight side glass, the RS America-stlye door panels, rear Lexan hatch, front carbon hood, etc., etc. Some of the parts on the RS are there purely for RSR homologation purposes--like the heads with more material for porting, like the different uprights and links.

Can you make the car perform as well or better than an RS going another route? For sure. You can buy better remote-reservoir dampers with full adjustability and you can go with Cupcar uprights and aftermarket links. You can lose the 50 kg. the lighter RS has over the GT3 Street other ways--with ultralight wheels, carbon-kevlar seats, etc. Unless your goal is an exact duplicate, you might want to consider alternate ways of improving performance. The RS sport clutch and single-mass flywheel? Great mod. The gears? Hope you never go to VIR...

Just my two cents, I'm all for guys who go all-out in modding their cars Keep us posted...

Lee in D.C.
(Doing the semi-RS thing)

Quick Reply: RS Suspension