Default 993 RS vs 996 GT3 Part 1

This is my own personal opinion of the two cars

1995 993RS3.8 White with YELLOW seatbelts
opinioned with clubsport kit
cams and ecu tuning

2004 996GT3 White with YELLOW seatbelts
barebones,
ony options are xennon and partial leather

After taking delivery of the GT3, I would like to present an impression of both cars.

Interior

being right hand drive, the 993 may be alittle different from the lhd cars you are familar with here in the US
The biggest note about the 993RS vs the GT3 is the pedal location The floor mounted on the 993 offsets to the middle of the car and often more than not, I find myself at an angle in the car. Its something weird but it doenst bother me.

The dash material of the 993 seems to have aged very well compared to the plastic tacky dash of the GT3, thus I ordered the partial leather. I still drive this out at night and would like it to be "presentable"

Clutch and Shifter
The 993RS has a cable shifter linkage which has broken or come lose a few times. An issue with an older car. Gearshifts are positive but not as nice as compared to the GT3
Clutch engagement on the RS(maybe due to the offset pedals) dont feel as nice as the GT3's. I like the GT's engagement point where it feels perfect at any rpm. RS is old, thus maybe there are some wear and tear issues thus affecting my opinion on the clutch

Steering
The RS has one of the nicest feedback on any street car that I have ever driven. It talks to you and communicates like no others, GT3 is still a virgin, no comments.

Overall interior feel and ergonomics

993RS feels like its a smaller car and sits lower, its raw and very very loud inside. The visibility on the 993s seems to be slightly better with A pillar (or lack thereof ) Less room in the 993 too(or have I put on too much weight since summer?)
996s are very well built and this I think woud make a great street/track car.
I have not much miles on it yet, thus I wont comment too much. Although my last drive in a 996C2 was good.

I will not post the drive / engine comaprison until I drive the GT3 more and maybe after the winter where I will go home again to the RS, thus a "back to back" comparison would be good.

Until then....hope this helps

-f
Old 10-29-2004 | 04:08 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

I'll be sure to be there!
lol
Old 10-29-2004 | 04:12 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by superyellowfly
I'll be sure to be there!
lol
Havent seen u on the track in awhile

just curious

what are good times for 993s there ?

hows the RUF? got it running ?
Old 10-29-2004 | 04:18 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

993 should manage anywhere in the 2.45 and below if well driven... denis did 2.43 i think... dont quote me.

the Ruf is great... my neighbors hate my latest muffler bypass mod... super loud!
blarring and annoying at idle...
but great in the CTE tunnel... amazing sound at full chat...
recently i passed a F 512 TR in the tunnel...
he thought he was loud...lol
Old 10-29-2004 | 04:20 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

993 should manage anywhere in the 2.45 and below if well driven... denis did 2.43 i think... dont quote me.

the Ruf is great... my neighbors hate my latest muffler bypass mod... super loud!
blarring and annoying at idle...
but great in the CTE tunnel... amazing sound at full chat...
recently i passed a F 512 TR in the tunnel...
he thought he was loud...lol

I see

I managed a 2.44 with the RS(hotlap timer) last time when I went up with Weng...

bright yellow loud...that should be your new nick!
Old 10-29-2004 | 04:48 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

sorry...
i stand corrected... 2.39 on a modded C4 993... Keng Hins car. on Sepang IC

lol...
brightyellowloud heheheh
Old 10-29-2004 | 05:19 PM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

sorry...
i stand corrected... 2.39 on a modded C4 993... Keng Hins car. on Sepang IC

lol...
brightyellowloud heheheh
That was with Dennis or Dr KH driving ?

I pity that car, all shot up from the gravel trips...pains me to see it like that..
at least it was from the track and driven like it's supposed to

Yeah...brightloudyellow works too

So, any track events in Dec?
Old 10-29-2004 | 07:52 PM
DCLee
Pro

Well, for a brief, shining moment I had both the 993RS and the GT3. I am keeping the GT3 to club race. The 993RS is an incredible and classic car. It's an unforgettabl;e driving experience. I would never part with it unless I needed to $$$ to buy the GT3. It is lighter, nimbler, and (as mentioned) rawer. I actually like the clutch and shift feel better because I had the RS setup and the stock GT3 clutch feels like it's swathed in 50 lbs. of rubber. That said, though, the GT3 is a huge advance in chassis stiffness and it is relatively easier to drive fast. I'm sure it's destined to become a classic, too, but so far, I think it's mainly that incredible high-revving engine that stands out. The rest of the car could stand a few improvements

Lee in D.C.
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2004 | 09:58 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

slightly OT

how are you guys taking turn 2 (with the inside Dip) at Sepang. I was having a real hard time coming to grips with that line. That and shifting with my left hand
Old 10-29-2004 | 10:14 PM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cupcar#12
slightly OT

how are you guys taking turn 2 (with the inside Dip) at Sepang. I was having a real hard time coming to grips with that line. That and shifting with my left hand
Turn 1 and 2 are usually spent "fighting" or "divebombing" someone....
Thus I usually give it away

Seriously I usually enter turn 1 abt 80km/h a car away from the brake markers and apex 2 early so I can set myself up for Turn 3.
Turn 3 leads to a pretty long straightaway so I rather give up 2 and get on the gas earlier.

When are you usually there at Sepang?

-f
Old 10-29-2004 | 11:11 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Only been once so far - last March - but I am in sing' a few time a year (work, mostly )
turn 1 i was setting up very close to the brake markers (which was hard to judge, but dennis (the C4 964's owner said i was always really close but consistant) late apex - then i'm screwed into 2 - power on through 3 - Laaaate into 4 tracking out to the left all the way. 5 is interesting - most of the guys were doubling it - seemed faster to stay about 3 meters to the left and single it - hard power on track out - then hard brakes...
Hoping to get back there on my next trip and rent a radical for the day - the Porsche Club is a good group.
Old 10-29-2004 | 11:20 PM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cupcar#12
Only been once so far - last March - but I am in sing' a few time a year (work, mostly )
turn 1 i was setting up very close to the brake markers (which was hard to judge, but dennis (the C4 964's owner said i was always really close but consistant) late apex - then i'm screwed into 2 - power on through 3 - Laaaate into 4 tracking out to the left all the way. 5 is interesting - most of the guys were doubling it - seemed faster to stay about 3 meters to the left and single it - hard power on track out - then hard brakes...
Hoping to get back there on my next trip and rent a radical for the day - the Porsche Club is a good group.
Rob

my impressions of the RS at sepang

I can give you a little in depth with the R33 and 993 RS at Sepang back to back

I spend 2 track days at Sepang with the cars in Aug attending private track days and used a laptimer to time myself.

Here are some specs about the car

1995 BCNR33 V spec
engine mods
ECU upgrade from Going Tokyo running 1 bar boost
HKS Oil cooler
stock engine stock turbos

Suspension
HKS Hyper Max Pro with 12/10kg/mm springs
AP Racing 5500 series 6 pot calipers

Shood with very very trashed S03s

1995 993 RS

engine
recent head job, high lift cams with ecu upgrade

stock suspension, stock wheels with S03s

I ran 2.44 with both cars

The GTR is a far easier car to drive. Alot of understeer with the heavy nose and lack of proper alighment setup. Easy to control and has alot more high speed stability. heavy car means it was very hard to get to speed. High speed transfer of directions is more confident in this car. Car feels extremely planned with 100mph turns.

The RS is a real monster at the track. I was driving with the tail out most of the time.."tail steps out, foot on throttle..." very true but someone forgot to mention to me modulating the throttle is also a good way to keep in control
High speed stability is lacking I have the clubsport wing and bodykit on it, thus I do not think its an aero issue. Probarly due to poor alignment too.
RS powerband is amazing. Its the engine tht make me want to drive the car more and more. Varioram at 4k rpm and once again at 6k rpm makes this car one of the most amazing cars I ahve ever driven.

All in all, I love these two cars and think they are a great street/track combo.
The fastest and best track car I've put to use is the US Spec BMW M3 LTW shood with Motons, currently a track only car in Norcal and an amazing track car. But the two street R33 and RS, wayyy better.

Hope you guys like the review...short and sweet...

Chilling at home
Old 10-30-2004 | 02:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

dc lee, thanks for the brief concise description of the diff b/n two great cars. i only wish i had the opportunity to test out the RS. can't belive you sold the RS.

fong, i am pretty certain your gt3 is "full leather" as i saw the window sticker before you picked it up.
Old 10-30-2004 | 02:39 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
dc lee, thanks for the brief concise description of the diff b/n two great cars. i only wish i had the opportunity to test out the RS. can't belive you sold the RS.

fong, i am pretty certain your gt3 is "full leather" as i saw the window sticker before you picked it up.

John

RS test drive at Sepang...thats only if you know how to drive RHD...
Weng and some of the P-club guys are travelling up to Norcal this Xmas...

-f
Old 10-30-2004 | 04:01 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

great comparison - i would love to try an R33 sometime. i know what you mean about "trottle modulation" - you have to drive them with both the wheel and the throttle
fun....
I bet you have a bit of an alignment issue if it is unstable at high speeds. also these cars are sensitive to shocks - yours is probaly using the factory shocks correct?

Quick Reply: 993 RS vs 996 GT3 Part 1