996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R Tires on Street Full-Time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004 | 05:19 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

How about a better idea? Do what I'm going to do. Assuming you don't have a car trailer and don't plan to get one...Get another set of rims and put R-compounds on them (MSPCs, Dunlops, Corsas, etc.) and use these only for the track and getting there and back. Use the original set of rims with a good set of street tires like the Michelin PS2s. You'll get the best of both worlds. The one caveat will be what you do to the alignment as this will wear whichever set you have on the car more unevenly than the stock alignment. Other than the rims, you just need a good jack, maybe some jack stands and a torque wrench. Another option is a putting a trailer hitch on the car and towing a small trailer with all the above. I've seen a GT3 with this, but I myself can't get my mind around having a trailer hitch on a GT3...
Old 10-22-2004 | 05:35 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

fryd, that was exactly my plan, until I saw all the posts about how the MPSC transforms the GT3. It was probably clear that those posts referred to track behavior, but I did manage to confuse myself. I think it's pretty clear now. I plan to wear out my stock tires on the street and track with a street alignment and then, when I have enough track days scheduled spring for the second set of wheels with R-rated tires.
Old 10-22-2004 | 05:35 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sell your Duck and buy a dedicated set of rims and tires.
Old 10-22-2004 | 05:41 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Let me remind you of the two rules of Ducati ownership:

#1 - Never sell a Ducati.

#2 - Follow Rule #1.
Old 10-22-2004 | 06:40 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

#1 - Never sell a Ducati
yep, sold my old Superlight, #758, it was severly tuned by ProItalia, and was one of the best machines I ever owned. Motorcyclist mag did a big story on it back in the day too. I really miss it!
Old 10-22-2004 | 07:09 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I drive with my MPSC every day. I've been doing that for 3 years (Boxster and GT3).

They last as long as the Pirelli PZero street tires. I don't need to have a third set of wheels.

They're really bad on cold weather and rain.

The BMW M3 CSL comes from the factory with MPSC. The Ferrari 360CS comes with Pirelli PZero Corsa (R-compound).

If I get a third set of wheels for the track, I would rather run Yoko slicks than MPSC.
Old 10-22-2004 | 07:16 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
If I get a third set of wheels for the track, I would rather run Yoko slicks than MPSC.
How would you transport your slicks to the track?
Old 10-23-2004 | 12:12 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ez. Two on the front wheels and two on the rear ones.
Old 10-23-2004 | 10:54 AM
healeyg
Instructor

hey nj-gt. i think your the only one on the board who has the 265/315 combo tires on right now. i am looking to do the same for next season's track outings.

what camber are you running front and rear with it? ride height?

now that you have driven it for a while, do you find it rubbing and if so, are you going to roll the fenders (which is what my shop is suggesting)

Thanks, Gregg Healey
Wilton, CT

PS are you going to Watkins Glen this monday? if so, ill see you there
Old 10-23-2004 | 11:41 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The Ferrari 360CS comes with Pirelli PZero Corsa (R-compound).
Actually, the CS comes with the Corsa "System" tires -- similar to the Corsa R-compounds, but different.
Old 10-24-2004 | 04:52 AM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jack
Actually, the CS comes with the Corsa "System" tires -- similar to the Corsa R-compounds, but different.
Doesn´t the GT3 RS also come with this combo......in Europe atleast.
Old 10-24-2004 | 11:20 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MatroxMGA
Doesn´t the GT3 RS also come with this combo......in Europe atleast.

Yes, sir.
Old 10-24-2004 | 01:28 PM
Craig W.
Instructor

If you are going to do both street AND some track events, your suspension set up will be compromised. You'll either have too much negative camber for the street, or not enough for the track. Or a combination of both.

Because of this, you'll experience uneven tire wear. Either you will wear out the outside shoulder on the track prematurely, or the inside edge on the street.

Additionally, the heat cycles from the street will reduce the grip of the tires, especially on the track.

In short, you are going to trash tires very quickly.

This has led me to decide to run cheaper R compounds for dual use. As an example, the Kumho R compounds are nearly 1/2 the price of your typical MPSC, Hoosier etc. I haven't checked into the new dunlops yet.

Quick Reply: R Tires on Street Full-Time?