996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

early GT3 adopters: Still happy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004 | 10:44 PM
frayed
Race Car

Default early GT3 adopters: Still happy?

So, back in late 99 I picked up an S2000. They wouldn't let me drive the car, so I bought it w/o a test drive, and wrote the check based on what I read in mags. That car lived a short life in my garage, sold in 6 mos.

I'm thinking that many of you purchased your cars w/o a test drive, much less a fling around a track. For those that got neither, are you still happy with the GT3, or are you selling your car, or already sold?

As for me, I've been in the passenger seat for some hot laps in a beautiful GT3 driven by a capable miata spec racer and instructor, and was in awe of how much grip the car generated on street tires (I've been running PSCs and Kumhos on my M3 and C4S), and in awe of the sound and visceral pull the car demonstrated exiting every corner.
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:30 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes. I love it.
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:52 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Absolute Bliss!!!
Old 10-14-2004 | 12:33 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Took delivery in July 2003 and still look forward to every minute in the car.

Karl
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

no regret since 9/17/03 delivery.
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:11 AM
GTGTGT
Instructor

Didn't drive the car before I wrote the check - and I have no regrets. Everyone time I drive the car I find something else I love about the car!
Old 10-14-2004 | 10:10 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Whats not to like??
Old 10-14-2004 | 10:30 AM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got mine in July of 2004 and am finally out of the break-in miles. It is an incredible car!
I just had the opportunity to drive a 997 Carrera S and then get back into my car and although the 997 is a nice car, a definite step up from the standard 996, it in no way approaches the GT3.

Every aspect of the driving experience of the GT3 is more amazing to me each time that I drive it- especially now that I can experience it more fully post- break-in miles.

Hey Chet! Hope to see you and your car around sometime soon.
Old 10-14-2004 | 10:35 AM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by privates8
Hey Chet! Hope to see you and your car around sometime soon.
Hi Steve,

Been real busy with work and have missed a few driving events. Finally broke the 1k miles barrier and have been able to open the car up a bit. WOW. The power band is intoxicating when you are used to an E30 M3 with 2.3l 4-pot with 200hp.

Going to Lime Rock on Sat. First time on the track with the GT3.

Hope all is well and catch up soon.

Chet
Old 10-14-2004 | 10:40 AM
frayed
Race Car

Steve (privates8), that's great to hear. You say 'in no way approaches the GT3', can you be more specific? Thanks.

Sloth, one of things I'd like to know from folks is whether anything really bugs you about the car, something that a prospective owner should know (other than the obvious compromises associated with a lowered, stiff 2 seater). There are three on ebay right now, some with just a few hundred miles, which got me thinking:

1. I like but don't lust for my C4S after 3 months of ownership, as I find it too buick like handling on the track, a bit too heavy, and I've come to dislike AWD as its less engaging than RWD. I wish somebody told me this before I bought the car.

2. Are the people selling their GT3s doing so b/c they bought the wrong car?
Old 10-14-2004 | 11:03 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Jeff - if you use the search fnction you will find some example of early turnovers - one wrote something like " this car is noisy and the suspension is way too stiff - I gave it back to the dealer after three days". Needless to say his post was met with derision from many. As you say - some GT3 buyers didn't know what they were getting into. It's a hard-core machine for hard-core drivers.
Old 10-14-2004 | 11:41 AM
frayed
Race Car

So, it sounds like, other than its natural hard core nature, there's no significant drawbacks. This is good to hear.

Hardcore I can deal with. Unknown warts that crop up months into ownership are the things I am concerned with.

Cheers.
Old 10-14-2004 | 12:02 PM
64lusso
Instructor

I was just going to mention the guy that Bob referred to, there were a few examples of guys that bought GT3's for the wrong reason that got out early. I bought mine at full retail based soley on what was being said about the car and it has lived up to my expectations. I hadn't planned to use the car as a daily driver and I know some people do but I think it would get old if that's all I wanted to do with the car. I haven't made it to the track yet but if I hadn't planned on doing that at some point I think I would eventually decide it's just too serious a car for daily road use. Note, that's exactly why I bought the car so it's more a issue of me not being willing to live with a car that is this serious as opposed to something dissapointing in the car.
The only thing that bugs me at the moment is the interior rattles, they mostly went away this summer when it was warmer and humid but I am starting to hear them again now that it has cooled off some.
I know of one used GT3 that's been sitting on the lot of our local dealer for quite some time. I don't know what they are asking for it but I did hear third or fourth hand that it revved to 13G on a missed downshift and the owner traded it in on another one. Some of those used GT3's may have similar issues?
Old 10-14-2004 | 12:06 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

I agree with Bob, some people bought these cars because it was the latest and greatest from Porsche. They didn't know what they were getting and they traded or sold them quickly when they found out it wasn't what they thought. A few others bought them as speculators and are hoping to make a profit, although I don't think that is going to happen. Then there are always those folks who get bored quickly and swap their cars faster than my wife goes through shoes.

Here's a list of complaints that I've read on this board. I don't consider any of them really serious but someone else might.

- various interior noises and rattles. I don't have any on my car but since it is so stiff, I expect some will develop over time. Stuff like that doesn't really bother me in a sports car (if I drove a Lexus that would be a different matter).

- not a great sound system but I rarely use it for anything other than getting traffic reports. With the engine sound and lack of sound deadening material, I think putting a lot of money into a good sound system would be a real waste, because you can't really hear it anyway.

- no Nav system available from the factory and no integrated mobile phone. (multiple alternatives available but not from the factory)

- ride height is low, so you have to be very careful on driveways and parking lot entry ramps or you can tear off the splitter (it replaces easily)

- no spare tire. You get a can of fix-a-flat and an 800 number for Roadside Assistance

- no rear seats for the occasional times you want to bring the kids along

- doesn't have the torque of a TT when pulling from low RPM (solution - keep the revs up!)

I don't think there have been many mechanical problems reported with the car. Keep in mind that the drivetrain and braking systems were initially developed by Porsche Motorsports and have been debugged for many years on race tracks around the world. They've also been used in other models like the TT and GT2 for several years, so are well sorted.

There has been one TSB for high altitude running problems and a recent small recall (12 cars) to replace weak valve spring retainers but nothing like the problems the early 996s experienced.

Karl
Old 10-14-2004 | 12:26 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

are you still happy with the GT3, or are you selling your car, or already sold?
I think it is true to say you'll only find enthusiasts who love their cars on the board here, so expect a biased opinion!

Other than the PCCB issue, I don't think we've had any serious problems with this car as a group. I mostly use mine to track, but it is also my daily driver. (I have a 1 mile commute, but I always get other folks to drive me around in town, so it does very few miles between track days.) In truth it is harsh and rough as a wheelbarrow round town, but once you get it out on the open road, or better still the track, it is absolutely sublime. It is without a doubt the most capable sports car I have ever owned or driven.

Last edited by macfly; 10-14-2004 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: early GT3 adopters: Still happy?