Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a grill or screen for the radiator slots on the GT3 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 04:35 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Is there a grill or screen for the radiator slots on the GT3 RS?

Could a GT3 RS owner or someone tell me if there is a grill or screen installed in the radiator outlet slots in the GT3 RS Bumper cover?

There is no such part shown in the parts list, just the part number for the cover.

Any pictures you could post of the installation would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2004, 05:36 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,204 Likes on 657 Posts

I have the screens installed on my GT3. You need to remove the frame behind the front bumper. I dont know if I would do this mod again. The screens block larger object, like tire rubber from other cars on the track, but on the street everything else gets thru. On top of that, since the screens are in place, I cant get a vacum hose in there and clean out whatever debris has gotten in.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:38 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

My bad, I did not fully read, and just saw the mention of "Out take slots".
Old 10-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Could a GT3 RS owner or someone tell me if there is a grill or screen installed in the radiator outlet slots in the GT3 RS Bumper cover?

There is no such part shown in the parts list, just the part number for the cover.

Any pictures you could post of the installation would be helpful.

Thanks
Don't know about the street car but there is a Motorsport part for the grill that covers the top opening in the bumper cover on the Cup car, which is the same design as the GT3 RS bumper cover. The part number is 996.505.325.91

Karl
Old 10-12-2004, 08:34 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Can you post the part # for the whole GT3RS front bumper? What other parts other then the bumper are needed?

Thanks,
Old 10-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Karl- Thanks I saw that the Cup uses screens, but do not know if they are the same as the street car or if in fact if they are even used on the street car.

The bumper cover part number is 996.505.980.92 for the GT3RS, for the Cup racer it is 996.505.984.93. so there is a difference between Cup and RS and I am not sure the Cup screens will work.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

The Cup screens should work. I installed the front Cup screens on my GT3 bumper cover and they fit fine. I suspect the main difference between the GT3 RS bumper cover and the Cup bumper cover is that the Cup cover has a slot cut in it for the tow hook and does not have the black plastic piece inside that the street car uses to secure the outside temp probe and direct air flow to the rads. I know of Cup cars that have been repaired using street car bumper covers with the holes and slots cut in them by hand. The bumper covers are pretty interchangeable between the race cars and street cars.

Karl
Old 10-12-2004, 11:14 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Karl,

Did you have to remove that black "frame" from behind the bumper to install the mesh grills.

I have a street GT3 and needed to remove the frame in order to install the three mesh grills to protect the radiators.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cosmos
Karl,

Did you have to remove that black "frame" from behind the bumper to install the mesh grills.

I have a street GT3 and needed to remove the frame in order to install the three mesh grills to protect the radiators.
Yes, I removed the black frame to install the mesh grills. Since the frame has a hole in it to support the outside temp probe, I ended up tie-wrapping it to the mesh grill on the passenger side. If you just let it hang loose, it will get to close to the radiator and give false readings.

Karl
Old 10-13-2004, 12:19 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Karl,

Do you think the mesh was a good idea or a bad idea? I am not sure, it seems like it only blocks the large pieces of Rubber and now I cant get in there and clean any of the small pieces of debris.

I am curious why you installed it?

Also any negative effects to not having that frame?
Old 10-13-2004, 02:03 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Is Cupcar not talking about the mesh at the top of the bumpercover on the RS?
Old 10-13-2004, 03:07 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

The grills for the 3 outlet vents in the bumper -just front of the hood- are not available seperately as they are glued into the bumper cover by the manufacturer.
These are not just 3 pieces of flat mesh grills glued on the inner side of the bumper cover.
Instead, all 3 grills are shaped in such a way that the grill is flush with the top of the bumper cover.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:16 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gert
The grills for the 3 outlet vents in the bumper -just front of the hood- are not available seperately as they are glued into the bumper cover by the manufacturer.
These are not just 3 pieces of flat mesh grills glued on the inner side of the bumper cover.
Instead, all 3 grills are shaped in such a way that the grill is flush with the top of the bumper cover.
Gert,

If this is true, then why does Porsche have a part number for the mesh? Perhaps there is a difference between the street car and the Cup car?

Karl
Old 10-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cosmos
Karl,

Do you think the mesh was a good idea or a bad idea? I am not sure, it seems like it only blocks the large pieces of Rubber and now I cant get in there and clean any of the small pieces of debris.

I am curious why you installed it?

Also any negative effects to not having that frame?
I installed it to protect the center radiator which is very exposed and to keep leaves, paper, stones, and other road junk out of the side rads. You're right that fine stuff still gets in there. I drop my bumper cover once a year and clean out the radiators. It takes an hour at most.

Karl
Old 10-14-2004, 12:18 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Karl,

I was still wondering if there was any ill effect for not reinstalling the frame?

Quick Reply: Is there a grill or screen for the radiator slots on the GT3 RS?