Sponsored by:

Tough decision to make

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 12:07 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdoc
Well, 116 miles and 3 hours later (you've got to love that Bay Area traffic) and I'm still smilin'. What have you guys done for engine break-in? I read the manual, but the service manager said that he would run below 4k for about 250 miles, then increase rpm by 200 mile increments until about 800 miles... then let her rip? I certainly don't want to grenade this baby, but I've always been from the school that says break it in like you intend to drive it. With go karts, we run about a lap on medium then WOT!!
Varying the rpm's in various gears is a good strategy. I followed the manual for total breakin mileage. I have not consumed any meaureable amount of oil in 4000 miles
Old 10-09-2004, 12:15 PM
ryce
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! You made the right choice. You are going to love the car. There are different theories on breakin. Make sure its warm before putting any pressure on the motor. Go for some nice long drives on back roads where you naturally vary throttle input in different gears. Be sure to accelerte and decelerate. Increase your revs as you build the miles. Change the oil at 1000 miles. Feel free to let her rip. Keep your radar detector on at all times and have fun. Don't forget to have a good shop corner balance and align the car to your specs, which you can fnd all over this site based on your anticipated use.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:44 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

After 500 miles it's all go for me. Could not wait what manual says 1000 miles stay under 4200 rpm. As long as you vary rpm's should be all fine. I'm just amazed at the amount of throttle response and point and shoot steering. Ride is firm though esp especially in San Francisco(my wife only been in car once-that's it she hates it : ) but my daughter loves it(age 9-future track junkie!!!). Congrats. Mike
Old 10-09-2004, 05:05 PM
healeyg
Instructor

my dealer said - no breakin needed other than vary the revs for the 1st 1000 miles. no prob running up to 8gs out of the box as long as you don't hold it there. my car now has 2600 miles and is runnin strong! fyi - they run them up and down the rev range at the factory, then they change the oil before we see it.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:29 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey DirtDoc,

What kind of karts?
Old 10-11-2004, 12:53 AM
dirtdoc
Advanced

The last few karts have been Tony Kart, Mitox with Vortex 125cc. I just sold the last of them and anticipate picking up a Kosmic... still going with ICC set-up (possibly ICA). Good practice environment for track days, although nothing really compares to a shifter on sticky rubber.

Winter is a good time for karting here in Norcal since the DE days are less frequent and I need something for the days not on the slopes. Suprised that more Pcar owners haven't discussed the benefit of improved driving skills from karts. Considering a new kart is about equivalent to a good set of Pcar mag wheels with tires, the bang is the best for the buck.

Sorry for the OT... BTW I put 550 miles on the GT3 this weekend. I can't wait for a track day and to get past this break in period!

Quick Reply: Tough decision to make