Sponsored by:

Tough decision to make

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 07:33 AM
OllieW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Tough decision to make

It looks like I might be upgrading the Carrera4 in the New Year and choices are between a 996 Turbo with powerpack or a GT3...

Could someone explain the "driving" differences between the two cars before I proceed with test drives. I will also be testing a 997 S for a measure of the new cars ability compared to the other two.

As for usage I will mainly be using the car as a Sunday play thing as weekday transport is a little more reserved. I will also be attending Porsche Club GB track days in the car (possibly 3 a year) and the Ring in May.

Not concerned with creature comforts or practicality as the other cars take care of this.

Have any GT3 owners traded up from a C4 and if so how does the experience differ.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers

Ollie
Old 10-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That discussion has occured all over this forum. Just search for it. BTW, unless you find one at a dealer now, you probably will have to buy a used GT3. I am under the impression that the orders for 2005s are closed, and that is it for the 996 GT3. The oft discussed 997 GT3 is still a rumor.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OllieW
Not concerned with creature comforts or practicality as the other cars take care of this.
You sound like a good candidate for a GT3.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been fortunate enough to own both a 996 Turbo(without powerpack)and the GT3.It depends what you want to do with the car.I got a Turbo because I missed out on the 2000 GT3 run.The turbo was very,very good but it did everything for you.Only once did I feel anywhere near its limits and that was on a track.The GT3 is a car that you drive,not the other way round.It's horses for courses.
Shane
Old 10-08-2004, 10:26 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloth
You sound like a good candidate for a GT3.
Agreed!!!
Old 10-08-2004, 10:59 AM
blkc4sny
Instructor

Well said Shane!!

Do you want to DRIVE or be driven?
Old 10-08-2004, 01:38 PM
dirtdoc
Advanced

I am in the same place... in fact I have a chance to trade my C4S in for an 04 GT3 tonight (new). I have only ridden along in a GT3 - never driven, and from the right seat it feels like a completely different car. Better acceleration, especially after about 5k, better breaks and best of all - higher corner speeds. Most of my driving is spirited country driving and track days, from what I've seen on this board I shouldn't give it another thought.... should I???

The biggest concern is that the GT3 doesn't have a safety net like the C4S... but that's also the best part... adrenalin! Just how predictable is the GT3 when you reach the limit?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Tom
Old 10-08-2004, 02:27 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdoc
The biggest concern is that the GT3 doesn't have a safety net like the C4S... but that's also the best part... adrenalin! Just how predictable is the GT3 when you reach the limit?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Tom
adrenalin! That's my license plate. As you say, no safety net other than your own judgment and driving skills. Based on your anticpated use, I feel you would be dissappointed if you did not jump on that car now. The GT3 is like no other Porsche currently in production, imo.
Best of luck with your decision.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:36 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GT3 all the way -especially if youhave a weekly car
Old 10-08-2004, 02:48 PM
dirtdoc
Advanced

Talking

Thanks for your comments... I just sealed the deal.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:40 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

Congratulations! Welcome to the club. As far as reaching the limits of the car, if you get anywhere close to it on the street, then you're driving a lot faster than I am. On the track, however, is a different story...

Geoff.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:28 PM
dirtdoc
Advanced

Thanks. I don't drive anywhere near the limit on the street, I don't trust other drivers and there are too many conditions over which I have no control (animals, road debris, pot holes, etc..). The main reason why I am making the change is because I want to drive a little harder on the track. Look forward to learning the limits of the car, carefully, from the slow side.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:51 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

Well, you will certainly not be disappointed!! Just be sure to get an alignment first, as others have had serious control issues resulting from the car not being correctly aligned from the factory. I had mine done when I received it, but per the spec sheet, it was already in alignment. Enjoy!

Geoff.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Captain
Track Day

Traded my C4S last month for the GT3. Only reason I went with the C4 is the inability to find a GT3. I should have bought a Taurus while I waited and banked the difference. If you want a comfort car, buy a Merc 500S or equivalent. I suppose the C4 is supposed to be safer, but the PMS system was simply annoying on the occasions where I forgot to turn it off (and nearly came off track because of it). Also, while the Hi-Fi radio sounds pretty good, it - and any radio - is irrelevant in the GT3. Wind it up even a little and you can't hear a thing.

The TT is like a chick with silicone implants. You have two rpms to contend with. The power is everywhere (north of 3k), but you don't feel the road. You can play with the seat controls, but why do you need electric seats in a sports car anyway?

However, on the safety question, you should study the pictures from that poor dude in Belgium. There are certain physical laws that are not in your favor when you crank the wheel (he was at a round about) and press the long pedal in a low gear. I know this is blasphemy (and may agigate some of the faithful) but if Porsche ever moved the engine in front of the rear axle I could die a happy man (or gave the Boxter the power and suspension it deserves - maybe the illusive Boxter coupe with the GT3 engine and suspension producing a $75k, 2,600 lb, 381 hp fantasy?). I suppose there are plenty of hapless types that have been saved by AWD and PMS. Just take it easy for a while until you find the break away point.

But don't wait. There is nothing street legal that comes close to the raw feel and linear power of this sucker. Locate one with nothing on it. Then review what some on this board have done to remove more of the unecessary parts. If you pimp the interior with silly snap on cosmetics, you're in the wrong car.

Enjoy the ride.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:03 AM
dirtdoc
Advanced

Well, 116 miles and 3 hours later (you've got to love that Bay Area traffic) and I'm still smilin'. What have you guys done for engine break-in? I read the manual, but the service manager said that he would run below 4k for about 250 miles, then increase rpm by 200 mile increments until about 800 miles... then let her rip? I certainly don't want to grenade this baby, but I've always been from the school that says break it in like you intend to drive it. With go karts, we run about a lap on medium then WOT!!

Quick Reply: Tough decision to make