I screwed up when changing the oil...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 09:35 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CKarras
I have been a believer in 3,000 mile oil changes even using Mobil 1 in much less expensive cars. I guess for the GT3 I could hold off for 7,500 miles, but it would be hard and I do not expect to wait until 15,000. I rather enjoy changing the oil myself and spending some quality time under the car--although I will need a MUCH larger oil catch pan for this one....

What sort of change intervals are popular?
No one really knows why Porsche specifies that their cars only need 15k mile oil changes... or why the number has increased over the years. From what I've heard, Mobil has NEVER said that these cars should wait that long for oil changes! Asking for trouble, if you ask me. Changing your oil every 3-5k miles is ideal. If you have it as a daily driver with normal temperatures and conditions on highway miles, 5-7.5k is a fine interval for oil changes. If it's a weekend toy that doesn't see much continued use, stick with 3-5k miles between changes.

The thing that puzzles me most are the filter-less oil changes. Why they ever would dare to specify oil changes without filter changes baffles me!
Old 10-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes i agree with the intervals you mention for the uses you describe FSAeracer

also, yes, its so true, changing the oil without changing the filter is a complete waste of time.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:49 AM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Why is it dangerous to slightly overfillthe oil on a GT3?
Old 10-06-2004, 02:56 AM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always changed the oil in my cars at or around the 3k mile/5K km period, but with the GT3 as with all MY2000 + european cars the extended oil change is part of the European conservation/environmental/EEC regulations that are trying to reduce the amount of waste oils etc. that enter the environment.

Follow this link for more info on Mobil 1...http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...bil1_0W-40.asp

I forget the exact figures but it's something like North America represents 2% of the worlds population and consumes 25% of it's resources.

I agree that to change the oil and not the filter makes no sense, and in fact my local Porsche dealer always changes the filter every time, but to simply change the oil at 3K just because that's the way things used to be, is not keeping up with current trends and technology.

Are you going to change your spark plugs at 10K as well, and you must be very dissapointed that there are no points to adjust or carbs to tweak, but that just gives you more time to watch black and white TV and listen to 78's on the record player

If the car is driven exclusively on the track (high load/RPM's) then I would move the change point up a few thousand miles/kms but other than that stick with the FACTORY reccommended intervals, it's all part of responsible vehicle ownership and hopefully future generations will be as lucky as we are to enjoy playing with great cars.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:15 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 587 Posts

what's wrong with my old B&W TV? I've got plenty of carbs and valves to adjust on the other cars (and 914 valves are NOT easy to get to) so I kind of enjoy only having to clean and drive the GT3 and Cayenne... but I still changed the oil and filter at 5K on the 911- it was very easy.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:28 AM
BrianPA
Racer

Originally Posted by skl
what's wrong with my old B&W TV? I've got plenty of carbs and valves to adjust on the other cars (and 914 valves are NOT easy to get to) so I kind of enjoy only having to clean and drive the GT3 and Cayenne... but I still changed the oil and filter at 5K on the 911- it was very easy.
Agreed. When the engine costs $45,000 I don't think a little extra preventative maintenance is unreasonable. This isn't exactly a honda.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:17 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Racerron
I have always changed the oil in my cars at or around the 3k mile/5K km period, but with the GT3 as with all MY2000 + european cars the extended oil change is part of the European conservation/environmental/EEC regulations that are trying to reduce the amount of waste oils etc. that enter the environment.

Follow this link for more info on Mobil 1...http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...bil1_0W-40.asp

I forget the exact figures but it's something like North America represents 2% of the worlds population and consumes 25% of it's resources.

I agree that to change the oil and not the filter makes no sense, and in fact my local Porsche dealer always changes the filter every time, but to simply change the oil at 3K just because that's the way things used to be, is not keeping up with current trends and technology.

Are you going to change your spark plugs at 10K as well, and you must be very dissapointed that there are no points to adjust or carbs to tweak, but that just gives you more time to watch black and white TV and listen to 78's on the record player

If the car is driven exclusively on the track (high load/RPM's) then I would move the change point up a few thousand miles/kms but other than that stick with the FACTORY reccommended intervals, it's all part of responsible vehicle ownership and hopefully future generations will be as lucky as we are to enjoy playing with great cars.
Well that's grreat at first glance, but the oil consumption isn't largely because of motor oil consumptionm it's refined fuels consumtion! Stop and go traffic is just about as harsh on your engine as track useage. The only real cylce an ICE engine like is constant, so unless you are like so many people I know where I live.. and drove 50-75 miles to work each day, each way.... you're oil is best changed at standard intervals.

The oil that is used by European cars and American cars is no different. Mobil 1 15W50 is the same here as it is there, so why go by the highest interval number? Because a country's government said so? Let's get real.

I hate to break it to you bud, but America uses the most crude oil by far because our society is far more fast paced than other countires. We are a country of workoholics and will always be that way. You won't understand it until you live it. For many here, there's never a dull moment. On that note, I have a research to complete, phone calls to make, a job to find and word to do.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:27 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Again, what is the harm in slightly overfilling the oil on a GT3??????
Old 10-06-2004, 07:37 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil is recycled...not thrown out so I don't agree with the environment thing. Synthetic oil uses less natural resources in it's manufacture. I'm a weekend driver here. 3000 miles or 6 months, which ever comes first for me.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:23 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Talking Rocketman

Sorry to bring this up again, but you said it was bad to slightly overfill the oil on a GT 3 and I was wondering why that was (I want to know all that I can about this car). Many thanks for your response.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:38 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you overfill the crankcase significantly perhaps a qt or more, you risk "foaming" the oil. If the oil level gets high enough, the spinning crankshaft can whip the oil up into a froth and the problem with that is that the oil pump can't pump froth, hence oil starvation on the moving parts that need it. That was the explanation I got. Seems to make sense...

Probably not an issue with a slight overfill...

Quick Reply: I screwed up when changing the oil...