47.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Techquipment bar: For show or go??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004 | 08:23 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MetalSolid
Anyone experience this weird phenomenon, sometimes when a stone is kicked up towards the rear wheel area the sound is transmitted thru the Tequipment Bar? [Ping]
I get a ring/ping on the lower driverside front leg. It's the seat belt ring at the mount point hitting against the bar. I just pull my lap belt portion tight and it seems to go away
Old 09-30-2004 | 12:45 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

The TE bar is available in Germany as an option...this requires TUV (German equivalent to US DOT) approval...supports the bar being for Go.
Old 09-30-2004 | 09:59 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MetalSolid
Anyone experience this weird phenomenon, sometimes when a stone is kicked up towards the rear wheel area the sound is transmitted thru the Tequipment Bar? [Ping]
I notice from time to time that the bar seems to transmit noise into the car.

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
The TE bar is available in Germany as an option...this requires TUV (German equivalent to US DOT) approval...supports the bar being for Go.
Interesting point you got there.
Old 09-30-2004 | 11:43 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

That seems to make it a go in my book too. If you end up on the top chances are your car is destroyed anyway, but as far as I can see having a bit of steel tubing in there can only help.

The only thing that will change my mind is seeing some side by side post roll over results that show us TE users we'd be better off without a bar.
Old 09-30-2004 | 05:13 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by macfly

That seems to make it a go in my book too. If you end up on the top chances are your car is destroyed anyway, but as far as I can see having a bit of steel tubing in there can only help.

The only thing that will change my mind is seeing some side by side post roll over results that show us TE users we'd be better off without a bar.
Speaking from experience wrestling that bar into my car for over 4 hours... I can tell you that those stainless tubes and welds are rigid as hell. I replaced the stock bolts with even stronger Grade 8's with a beefier bolt head. Glad to hear it's TUV approved. I certainly feel better....
Old 09-30-2004 | 06:11 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sloth
I have not heard of any failing, but I have not heard of any being tested in a roll either.
Here's one! A friend had a roll with his TT. The A pillars were flat, and the bar most probably helped. No injury at all. Well... just his ego...
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2004 | 07:17 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the picture and the details Pierre. Sorry to hear about your friend, but I am pleased to hear that he did alright and the bar did its job. It must have hit pretty hard to flatten the A pillars like that.
Old 09-30-2004 | 07:37 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Yikes!!! Glad he is OK...
Old 09-30-2004 | 07:49 PM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Glad he´s ok too. Do any of you guys have a complete clubsport cage ( front+rear )? I just found out that when ordering a clubsport car you can only get the bucket seats with nomex fabric, is this correct?? I have seen plenty of Porsche bucket seats in leather, after-market option for comfort GT3s?
Old 10-01-2004 | 03:25 AM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sloth
[...] It must have hit pretty hard to flatten the A pillars like that.
Not really. Actually, it was a very smooth roll-over at low speed. Probably less than 80 km/h. But the car slid on its roof, and that caused the A pillars to give up. I'm not sure I want to know whether the B pillars would have sustained the crash on their own...
Old 10-01-2004 | 09:07 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pierre
Not really. Actually, it was a very smooth roll-over at low speed. Probably less than 80 km/h. But the car slid on its roof, and that caused the A pillars to give up. I'm not sure I want to know whether the B pillars would have sustained the crash on their own...
We're talking of the 996 body here? Probably would have. The roof on the 996 is very strong.

Stephen
Old 10-01-2004 | 09:12 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
I suspect you will find that the TÜV regulations are about things like not presenting a blunt object that one can hit their head on and not about testing roll bars for rollover protection.

Stephen
Old 10-01-2004 | 09:14 AM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FixedWing
We're talking of the 996 body here? Probably would have. The roof on the 996 is very strong.
Yes, 996 Turbo, MY 2003 I think. I do hope the B pillars are stronger than the A...
Old 10-01-2004 | 09:20 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pierre
Yes, 996 Turbo, MY 2003 I think. I do hope the B pillars are stronger than the A...
I've seen photos of quite a few which have gone over. And yes they are. But it still makes me think of a Clint Eastward movie -- so are you feeling lucky?

Stephen
Old 10-05-2004 | 10:37 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

So would the DAS bar be a better choice over the TE rollbar?
I'm thinking of installing one.
What about the full cage? Is it necessary?
What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Techquipment bar: For show or go??