Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Times at Lime Rock/the Glen

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 05:30 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving to and from track events on race tires is not very pleasant when it rains. Especially when you are down to almost no threads on the race tires.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Chris - Good question. One of the things I love about my GT3 is that I can drive it to and from the track. I use Pirelli P 0 Corsa R compound tires simply because they are acceptable in the rain. They are not as good as the street tires in the wet but they are far superior in the dry. I plan to try the new Dunlop SS Race R compounds (DOT approved like the Corsa) and use them as my street and rain tire.

I do have a second set of wheels, OZ 3 piece lightweights which wear the Corsa tires. Our track events are supported by a local tire company who brings my OEM wheels wearing the OEM Michelin street tires to the track. If it is raining hard I use those.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Old 09-21-2004, 05:39 PM
CKarras
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, that does help. There may well be people who support my local PCA track days who could bring track wheels for me, too. I'll figure that out this weekend. (Now if I could just conclude on ordering a MY05 GT3....)
Old 09-21-2004, 05:42 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Would you paid somebody to take your wheels to the track? and how much?
Old 09-21-2004, 09:34 PM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

do you think the rims get ruined by using them on track??
Old 09-21-2004, 09:46 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Matrox,

No. Track is easy on rims. Race wheels are lighter and a lot more fragile than road wheels, There are no potholes or rail crossings on a race track. Street wheels will not be damaged unless you have an "incident".

Regards,
Old 09-21-2004, 10:17 PM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Bob, I agree with you. The only problem I had with my other track car was the brake dust from my Performance Friction 97 pads. The rims were impossible to get really clean if the dust had been on for a few days, anyone else experienced this? Are the Pagid yellow pads better in this area??
Old 09-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

I have no experience with PF 97 pads. The Pagid RS 19 doesn't make too much dust. I use P21 S wheel cleaner. For dust that really won't come off, paint thinner works very well.

Rgds
Old 10-17-2004, 10:51 AM
healeyg
Instructor

Default 1:08s at Lime Rock

Ran in the drizzle / rain friday (track was mostly dry, though) on stock PS2s with the NECC guys. Was fun.

Running 2.5 cam front, 2.0 rear, stock ride hight front, 1 notch lower in rear from stock. Sway bars 1 from stiff front; full loose rear. Never been to Lime Rock before & only had one track day before (in an M5 on BMW test track in SC).

So, i guess i've got my work cut out for me, as it looks like a stock Gt3 is capable of 1.01s in the dry w/dunlops SSR, but i can't complain. Have a set of SSRs waiting for new fikse wheels.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:03 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Wow, the penny just dropped reading all those times, Lime Rock is a very short track!
Old 10-17-2004, 01:02 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

A G class 3.0 SC can do 1:01 these days or even less.

A stock GT3 with track alignment and tires should be able to do less than 1:00 with an experience driver.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:29 PM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default LRP times for GT3

For those who have been driving at LRP in the GT3, and becoming discouraged based on some of the proposals for lap times being offered, I can assure you that the GT3 with stock parts, despite a track alignment, is not capable of less than a 1:00 flat with DOT R compound tires. With the Dunlop SSR or MPSC, Keith Alexander and I have both done 101.7 as seen from the PCA race link above. On a non race weekend, we have done 1:01.5 with slightly cooler temps on Dunlop SSR. Keith and I in 2004 cup cars would turn times of 56 and change at LRP, 1:59 at WG, and Keith would turn a 2:13 at Sebring so we are pushing the GT3 street cars hard. With DOT tires, track alignment, and NO parts modifications, it is possible that the car is capable of 101.0 flat. Less than 1:00 is out of the question no matter who is driving the car. On slicks, with a full track set up, stock parts- it is possible that the time would be in the low 59 range.

I used to race an H class car that was fully race prepped. The car weighed over 2400 lbs, was in the stock class, and had a CIS 2.7L 1973 motor that certainly made less than 180hp. It was fairly easy to get that car into the high 1:03 range on a cool day. On paper that car has no business even being in the same league as the GT3, but at LRP the race prepped H car and the stock GT3 are not so far off from each other. Lime Rock is a deceptive place and the time has much more to do with race components, set up and driver than pure hp.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:28 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Running a stock GT3 on slicks will put the car just 3 seconds behind the Cup car at LRP. That's great.

Considering that we can set a very aggressive alingment, install the Cup car suspension, shave 200 lbs of weight, lighter wheels, Cup aero kit, and still have a car with a license plate and insurance.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:37 AM
healeyg
Instructor

Originally Posted by ldw
For those who have been driving at LRP in the GT3, and becoming discouraged based on some of the proposals for lap times being offered, I can assure you that the GT3 with stock parts, despite a track alignment, is not capable of less than a 1:00 flat with DOT R compound tires. With the Dunlop SSR or MPSC, Keith Alexander and I have both done 101.7 as seen from the PCA race link above. On a non race weekend, we have done 1:01.5 with slightly cooler temps on Dunlop SSR. Keith and I in 2004 cup cars would turn times of 56 and change at LRP, 1:59 at WG, and Keith would turn a 2:13 at Sebring so we are pushing the GT3 street cars hard. With DOT tires, track alignment, and NO parts modifications, it is possible that the car is capable of 101.0 flat. Less than 1:00 is out of the question no matter who is driving the car. On slicks, with a full track set up, stock parts- it is possible that the time would be in the low 59 range.

I used to race an H class car that was fully race prepped. The car weighed over 2400 lbs, was in the stock class, and had a CIS 2.7L 1973 motor that certainly made less than 180hp. It was fairly easy to get that car into the high 1:03 range on a cool day. On paper that car has no business even being in the same league as the GT3, but at LRP the race prepped H car and the stock GT3 are not so far off from each other. Lime Rock is a deceptive place and the time has much more to do with race components, set up and driver than pure hp.

so lynn - what times do you think could be done on the stock PS2 tires given the setup i described above on a dry day?

what specific settings are you running when you say "street" and "track"?

thx, gregg
Old 10-18-2004, 07:52 AM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

"Track" would mean any alignment that was done out of the stock specification to suit the tires and driving style of the owner specifically for track use. "Street" refers to the specification alignment.

The alignment you have is more track appropriate than the camber KA and I have had on our cars, and I would think that your set up is the better with more front camber. I left mine at 2.0 as a compromise for street driving and tire wear. The car, as you have it now, is ultimately capable of a 1:02.7 at LRP with the as delivered non-DOT rubber. A 1:08 at LRP, as you did your first day there, is actually rather impressive. It takes a while to learn the quick way around LRP and then to do it without scaring yourself takes additional time.....

R compound DOT tires will take 1.0-1.5 secs off of that time-which does not sound like much, but at LRP that is an eternity.

Quick Reply: GT3 Times at Lime Rock/the Glen