Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have to use the flat tire Goop?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 04:46 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buckdr1
Can't figure how something could just jump out and bite the tire in the sidewall w/o me seeing it??
Bill
I had a similar event occur on my TT a month ago. I'll bet you anything that your situation is the same as mine. I had a very tiny puncture on the tread - as I drove more and more, the tire lost pressure. Finally after most of the pressure was lost I began riding on the sidewall.

Here's where my story begins to differ. Since my car has a very stiff ride to begin with, I didn't realize that I was riding on the sidewall until I smelled burning rubber. By that time my tire was toast - completely torn apart.

Definitely not a fun experience, but at least it happened at a time when I needed to replace tires anyway!

BTW NEVER, EVER plug a performance tire. And NEVER, EVER drive a repaired tire of any kind on the track.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:12 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan, Oh the problems we have with our Toys.
Agreed, about Track use! Even for the street.
Bill
Old 08-31-2004, 05:15 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just received my Safety Seal tire plug kit...I have to admit, very impressive! The tools are pro quality first rate with a great case to keep it in my trunk for those annoying nail/screws in the tire. Get a flat, plug it and pump it while still on the wheel. Be on your way in fifteen minutes. Worry about patching the tire internally when you get back from the trip.

"Safety Seal" kit, $39.
"Piece of mind..."
Priceless!!! :-)
Old 08-31-2004, 05:24 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

DON'T FORGET:

If you put that patch kit and compressor in the car, be sure you have flat-head and philips screwdrivers and a pull tool (pliers will do). Most often a screw is the culprit, and it's much easier to deal with removing it with the driver than by pulling it (or whatever has punctured the tire) out.

I carry patch kits and small compressors in all vehicles, plus the above tools, just in case.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-31-2004, 05:28 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good tip Eric. Thanks
Old 09-01-2004, 01:24 AM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys that have or intend to put plugs in your tires are nuts. There is only one way to properly repair a puncture and that is to have an internal patch applied. This patch can be hot or cold vulcanised depending on the manufacturer.

All this of course if you never intend to exceed 60mph, which I am sure is very unlikely, and also accepting the fact that almost all plug repairs are not approved by the DOT because of the high incidence of plug failure and leaks.

Personally I always use the hot vulcanised type on my customers cars.

I for one would not trust my life or that of others to an unsafe albeit more convenient tire repair.

Please get any puncture properly repaired and FWIW in many cases once the tire has been REAMED to put the plug in, the tire is scrap, because you will most probably have cut through and broken some of the steel cords and the tire will become unstable especially at high speed.

Leave the tire plugs for your wheel barrow and ride on lawnmower

Last edited by Racerron; 09-01-2004 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:31 AM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A favourite G W Bushism of mine is :- "The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for Entrepeneur"

Salut, tout le monde.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:18 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by buckdr1
Was on the way home from work tonight and after a few blocks the cars pulling right. Yep Left Rear's almost flat. Of course I'm in some decent clothes. Pull over, pop the hood and grap the Bottle of Goop and the other bits. Tried to squeeze the Bottle into the tire, After removal of the valve, of course! And only got a bit over half in, I guess an aerosol would not be Green?? Figured only about 10 miles to home, so I put the valve back in and fire up the compressor ( the little bugger works pretty good). Put in 40 Lbs & headed for the Ranch. I make it, by a few hairs. Change my clothes and look under and the tire's weeping Goop. It's on the inside halfway between the rim & the tread, I'm sure the tires Shot, or can a tube be put in these ?? I sure would'nt run it very fast, but I haven't even used up 1/2 the tire. Hate to have to buy a new set
Bill
bumping an ancient thread as I'm looking for pic of the compressor ...
my car seems to have more tools than the US 996 (it is a MkI tho) ...
but the little bugger isnt there and PO doesnt know what to look for

thanks!

Matt

Quick Reply: Anyone else have to use the flat tire Goop?