Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do U feel that the driver-oriented simplicity is important part of the GT Philosophy?
Yes!.The best drivers' cars minimize anything that takes another level of purity from the equation.
68.09%
Depends.If new Tech will make the car faster @ "the Ring", I don't care how simplistic the car is.
29.79%
I like pushing buttons, stability control, and back seats etc....they give me options.
2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Functional Simplicity vs. Elaborate Technology..."A Porsche GT car Philosophy Pole"

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 07:21 PM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Functional Simplicity vs. Elaborate Technology..."A Porsche GT car Philosophy Pole"

Although the GT series Porsches have evolved in the areas of performance technology and comfort features, they are still very honest if you compare it to other manufacturers performance models such as the Challenge Stradale and BMW's CSL M3. For instance, the Ferrari CS has electricaly adjusted dampers, Traction Control, Paddle Shift gearbox and "Sport" and "Race" modes which adjust the settings. The M3 CSL has a full-on stability control system with two modes of intrusion, a Sport button which changes the throttle mapping (NO power increase) and at what rpm the large airbox flap opens. It also has bucket seats that can slide forward and back so that you can plop two people in the back seat if you need to. Like the Ferrari, a paddle-shift gearbox is standard.
The GT3 & GT2 in comparison, are very honest. No electricaly adjusted dampers, no traction or stability control systems, an ordinary driver-oriented manual gearbox, no throttle mapping option button, no rear-seats etc...
Of course you can get your air conditioning and radio, and a Clubsport Package in some countries, but there are no flipperies on this car. (Although, as I understand it, PCM is now an option on '04 GT2s)
Old 08-27-2004, 01:46 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts
Red face As the old saying goes.....

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:47 AM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Not just the performance features you mention - I love the simplicity of the interior - wow, a radio with two ***** and push button station selections, I know how to use this without the manual. Thank you Porsche.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:57 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

I think there are some things that could be a plus, such as dashboard activated rebound and compression damping, PSM that those of us who use our MPSC's on the street could turn on and off for those occasional wet days, and an inbuilt GPS lap timer would be nice too.

Other than that I love it just the way it is. I'm realy looking forward to seeing what the 997 GT3 will come with. (It has to have 18" wheels for homoglamation, maybe it'll get the RS susension set up too, but I wonder if it'll get anything else extra in terms of driver's aids, and the EU spec seats?)
Old 08-28-2004, 08:10 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

I think carpets are superfluous. Passenger seat . . . pffft.
AC? Puh-lease.
Maybe i'm just hardcore to the core, but in all honesty, the only basic functions that are really necessary on a SPORTS CAR is a radio, LIGHT seats, AC and carpets for those of us who like aesthetics during open lapping.
Climate control? Simple. If its hot, turn the AC up, if its cold do the same with the heater . . .
I thought the purpose of a porsche was essentially to get a track usable car that could be driven on the street legally and comfortably given decent roads. A sports car is not a commuter car, not a family hauler, and not a status symbol, at least primarily. I wish PAG would let all those take back seat to performance. In an ideal world, the GT3 would be the ''soft'' car in the porsche lineup
Old 08-28-2004, 09:13 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends:
I think the GT3 is perfect the way it is, I also think that PSM on the GT2 would be a good idea, if I could turn it off completely, and finally, If I could afford to add a Stradale to the garage, I would.

Robin
Old 08-29-2004, 06:10 PM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

Exclamation

I'm realy looking forward to seeing what the 997 GT3 will come with. (It has to have 18" wheels for homoglamation, maybe it'll get the RS susension set up too, but I wonder if it'll get anything else extra in terms of DRIVER'S AIDS,
I also think that PSM on the GT2 would be a good idea, if I could turn it off completely
I think you two are missing the whole point in reference to PSM, even if it can be turned completely off. Instead of spouting off allot about the obvious hillarity of having a computer monitoring under and oversteer and braking individual wheels/reducing power for you when you decide you aren't up to the task yourself, I won't. I won't even get into the problems BMW has gotten into for letting customers depend on DSC for their MPSCup equipped CSLs. Instead I will simply leave you with two quotes that sum up the GT2's philosophy for those that still think the main emphasis is on performance and NOT on purity. After all, it's no secret the Turbo is a better choice if you want your performance to be more "weapon" like.

"Addressing the absence of stability-restoring technology, GT2 PROJECT MANAGER Hartmut Kristen says," "The entire philosophy of this car is different from the Turbo's. It's for the driver who wants to be able to take his car to its absolute limits on his own." ---Car&Driver

"...No Porsche electronic stability-control system (PSM) to intervene on behalf of the driver who's run himself out of talent. Along with the GT2's insistent "Let's go, let's go, let's go," there's an implicit disclaimer line, a serious-drivers-only message that's saying something like, "Look, schmuck, I'm not your mom. You're on your own here." ---Car&Driver

Trending Topics

Old 08-29-2004, 09:34 PM
Mikey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If Michael has the technology in his F1 ... I WANT

High reving V10 motor, Venturi Tunnels, Sequential tranny, Titanium, CF body panels, HUD, R-compound street tires. I am not adverse to electronic gizmos if they don't interfere with my driving and don't add any weight. Drive-by-wire is fine cuz you can re-map, but things like "active-suspension", "active steering" are scary. Data acquisition would be cool, a stupid "lap timer" on top of the dash is not.

For now I pick 05 GT3 over 360CS cuz its more robust for the same peformance. I expect my next GT would share more technlogy with the F430 than a 765iL, but somehow I have a bad feeling!! Look at the 997 S -- more weight, $hity Boxster motor, they messed up the steering, and it now looks like a bug.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:39 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

XSpeedFreakX: Does it never rain and the roads are instantly cleared of debris where you live? While PSM may be something you don't want to interfere with your fun on the track I think it's a damned good thing to have for those unexpected moments driving thru a rainstorm on MPSC tires or a turn filled with wet leaves on a twisty unfamiliar road.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:49 PM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

Steve,

While you may feel like driving through a rainstorm on MPSCups is acceptable, I feel the complete opposite. Same thing goes for hustling the car on twisty, unfamiliar roads at a speedy pace. It's no coincidence that Porsche supplies the RS with Pirelli Corsas that have added rain-slits compared to the normal version which is already better in the wet comapred to the MPSCups. The price we pay for the grip of a track-biased tire is the extreme decrease in wet weather performance. Naturally, the opposite holds true for a more road biased tire.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

XSpeedFreakX: Rain is a common occurance here in FL and not all of us are blessed with a trailer and tow vehicle if we want to get our cars to the track. Nor did I say anything about "hustling the car on twisty, unfamiliar roads at a speedy pace" in my reference to wet leaves on a twisty unfamiliar road as they can make your life quite exciting at something much less than a speedy pace. The point I was trying to make is that PSM is a nice safety net for unexpected/unplanned situations that arise in real life. Too bad the spectre of liability lawsuits prevents Porsche from offering it with a 100% off mode for track use as it's something I would have ordered on my GT3, especially after experiencing what it was capable of in my Boxster S.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:05 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Wink

Steve, me too!
I was really impressed with the PSM at the PDE Masters I did earlier this year. Before I did the Master's I thought I didn't want any of that sissy stuff. Now I'm just in awe of how damn well that sissy stuff works, it really is great news. Since we are both MPSC daily driver's we know the perils we undertake.

Earlier this summer I drove thru the mountains here on the way back from a roasting desert track day, and found myself in a biblical deluge on my MPSC's at 7,000ft! I kept it all clean, at granny speeds, but was wishing for PSM to protect my investment in a real world situation, and thus I no longer have Speedfreak's arrogance about the sissy stuff.

Last edited by macfly; 08-30-2004 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:46 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

PSM is one of those things in my opinion that you convince yourself you need but when you are without it you dont miss it. I have a 993 with no PSM etc and have never felt like I needed or wanted it in any driving condition. However, when driving my father's 996 C4 there is no reason for me to turn it off. I guess it is nice to have it there in a way. Cars have been without stability programs for many many years before there introduction and there was not a huge problem with people complaining about how often they lose control of their cars etc. In my opinion, 99% of the time if you are smart and know the limits of your car you do not need it. However, I guess everyone argues for that 1 %.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:07 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

I agree wholeheartedly. Any intelligent driver will either be skillful enough to get themselves out of a bad situation, or will be intelligent enough not to get into one. (i.e. slowing down and adjusting driving in rain, wet leaves, high altittude like macfly, etc.) I think any good driver with a prudence for safe driving doesn't need any kind of stability systems. "PSM is a nice safety net for unexpected/unplanned situations that arise in real life."
I think caution and skill make even better nets. If its raining, slow down. Don't keep your speed up in hopes that you're fall will be broken by PSM . . .

Quick Reply: Functional Simplicity vs. Elaborate Technology..."A Porsche GT car Philosophy Pole"